Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2009, 08:24 PM

Default 8.01 bugs

8.01 OSX 10.5.8
Dual 1.8 G5

-Selection of Delay Compensation Engine causes crash
-On certain crashes, restart attempt gives me Error 600 which requires full system restart
-Some sessions horizontal scrolling issues, some sessions no horizontal scrolling issues
-'Eleven' causes instant horizontal scrolling issues.
-larger sessions crash on quit or close, most of the time requiring full system restart to open the next session.

Plugs are clean, all routine maintenance done.

Digi, you're killing me.

Anyone have a workaround for any of these?

Appreciated, thx.
dt

Last edited by dtrusz; 10-03-2009 at 10:08 PM. Reason: addition
Old 10-04-2009, 09:10 AM

Default Re: 8.01 bugs

How about every time you open a session where you were close to maxing out your system, it tells you that it couldn't actually make all the plugs active again (even though they were active right before you closed the session and working just fine).

Seriously, this one is driving me crazy. I've now stopped closing PT and have begun leaving the session open until I'm done with it.

Digi, please get the DSP allocation under control. This is a bit ridiculous. Why should it work and then not work once I close and reopen the session?
Pro Audio Sales/Consulting
http://www.audiolot.com

Follow AudioLot on Facebook
Old 10-04-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
How about every time you open a session where you were close to maxing out your system, it tells you that it couldn't actually make all the plugs active again (even though they were active right before you closed the session and working just fine).

Seriously, this one is driving me crazy. I've now stopped closing PT and have begun leaving the session open until I'm done with it.

Digi, please get the DSP allocation under control. This is a bit ridiculous. Why should it work and then not work once I close and reopen the session?
this has happened to me several times in 7.4 tiger
(but not often...only a few times)

Old 10-04-2009, 10:56 AM

Same here ! The session closedowncrash is more rule than exception.
Since a few weeks PT 801 crashes on my MacPro everytime i'm closing down a session.Firsts it was occasionally, last few days regularly, today evrytime...
Also...the last 2 days causing 5 kernel panics on the Mac.
I made sure to exclude hardware failure :
I've done about everything 13 years of PT-experience can think of....reparing permissions, repairing external drives, reinstalling PT, had techtool deluxe running to check for MAC-hardware failures,
done digitests, trashed PTprefs, trashed PTdatabases, and at least ran digi tech utility tool. ALL OF NO RESULT WHATSOEVER

The Mac crashreport often says EXC BAD ACCES (sigbus)

DIGI:
Is there a temporary workaround or permanent solution for this, because it really drives me nuts.

running MacPro ( early 2008 harpertown ) dual quadcore 2,8 GHZ
Leopard 10.5.5
PT 8.01 HD6 accel
Old 10-04-2009, 11:33 AM

Yes this crash on close/quit when you are accessing mulitple sessions throughout the day is a real pain in the *ss.

I've seen buggy PT releases as we all have but none that interfere with workflow to the degree that this one has. I worked on two tracks last night. The first session flawless, no horizontal scroll issues not a crash...successful session. The second file I opened up I wrestled with 2 hours and by the time I got things sorted I had lost the will to do anything And this is the problem with releases like this. This particular would not allow me to open up the delay compensation engine without crashing. Create a new session, import all of the session data into a new session. Sheesh. And then the scroll issues. Committing tracks with plugs in hopes that a plug is causing it and I can eliminate it. ie. Eleven. No dice. Heading into the studio right now and absolutely dreading having to wrestle with this nonsense.

And they want how much to crossgrade? Yeah Right.

I have been loathe to think about Logic but at some point does it make sense to have a look, or is it all the same issues over there?
Old 10-04-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiojimi View Post
this has happened to me several times in 7.4 tiger
(but not often...only a few times)
Me too, but never like this. It's to the point where when I open the session and it tells me it can't make plugs active because there's no more DSP, I have to sit there and convert to RTAS and then back to TDM, let it recalculate and see what happens. After a few times of doing this it usually finds the right DSP allocation and the plugs work again.

Serious PITA.
Pro Audio Sales/Consulting
http://www.audiolot.com

Follow AudioLot on Facebook
Old 10-04-2009, 07:29 PM

same issue here on HD2/8.01/1.5.8/PPC Dual 2.0. A few times I had to boot of my tiger drive to get the work done. Tried all same remedies: repair permissions, etc.
Is it 8.01 or 1.5.8 or the combination of the two?
Old 10-04-2009, 07:30 PM

Oh yeah, and my "ReVibe" TDM plug sometimes goes silent or just buzzes like a spring reverb! It's up to date, just went nuts when upgraded to 8.01
Old 10-05-2009, 10:08 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrusz View Post
8.01 OSX 10.5.8
Dual 1.8 G5

-Selection of Delay Compensation Engine causes crash
-On certain crashes, restart attempt gives me Error 600 which requires full system restart
-Some sessions horizontal scrolling issues, some sessions no horizontal scrolling issues
-'Eleven' causes instant horizontal scrolling issues.
-larger sessions crash on quit or close, most of the time requiring full system restart to open the next session.

Plugs are clean, all routine maintenance done.

Digi, you're killing me.

Anyone have a workaround for any of these?

Appreciated, thx.
dt
Let's try to sort this out, as there's probably more to this than a few bugs.

First, have you tried running Digitest?

Can you give me a complete system profile, including number and types of drives installed, how everything is connected, RAM, card order, other devices attached, etc?

Please use the Tech Support Utility to generate and post an installed plug-in version list.

Are you using DSP Caching? Does the problem go away if you disable it?
Old 10-05-2009, 12:28 PM

Very Buggy... any session with a different playback engine if i want to use the saved engine it crashes every time.. i have to answer no to use saved engine. if i change it before launching session it works. rtas is not good older sessions where plugins had plenty of cpu won't open without pulling plugs. The funny thing is the le version on my other computer works like a charm..
protools hd4 accel. g5 2gig dual 8g ram 192 96 apogee 800 X2 big ben clock os 10.5.8