Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 12-28-2010, 07:52 AM

Default Can't playback demo

I recently purchased the Mbox 3 with Pro Tools LE 8.0.4. I'm not yet using an audio drive, but am instead using my system drive (specifically, the C drive on my PC).

Could that fact that I'm using the system drive be why I can't get through a full playback of the Filtered Dream Demo Session?

Here are the errors I encountered and what I did to troubleshoot while trying to play back the demo:

When I loaded the demo, I saw this message:
"The original disk allocation for this session cannot be used. Check the disk allocation window to see what's changed.
Your I/O setup has changed since the last time this session was saved. Check the I/0 setups window to see what's changed."

I figured that might just be because the demo originally existed on the installation cd rather than on my drive, so I continued.

The first error message was:
"The audio device buffer underflowed. If this occurs frequently, try decreasing the "H/W Buffer Size in the Playback Engine panel or remove other devices from the audio firewire bus. (-6085)"

In response, I changed the H/W Buffer size from the original 512 samples to 256. I was able to play the demo for almost a full minute, then got this error:

"You are running out of CPU power. Remove some RTAS plug-ins or increase the CPU Usage Limit in the Playback Engine dialog. (-9128)"

Back in the Playback Engine, I changed my CPU max percentage from 85% to 90%, which was the maximum allowed, but I still couldn't play the demo for more than a minute or so. I moved the H/W Buffer size down to 128 samples, and that didn't change anything.

One thing I noticed was that the CPU usage, as seen in Windows Task Manager, was usually around 20%, and only rarely got up to even 50% while the demo was running. So I have doubts about whether the problem is really CPU capacity.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this. Below is the information asked for by the 'Help us to help you' post:
__________________________________________________ ______

PC: HP Pavilion dv6-1030us Entertainment Notebook PC
Processor Speed: 2 Ghz
OS: Windows 7 operating system (pc originally ran on Windows Vista)
RAM: 4GB DDR3 SO-DIMM

Interface: Mbox 3 Standard (i.e., not mini or pro)
Pro Tools version: Pro Tools LE 8.0.4

Peripherals: A Staples USB hub-- I do not route the MBox through the hub.
Drives installed: Currently just using the C drive to playback-record.

Sandra report*****
SiSoftware Sandra

Computer
Model : HP HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC
Workgroup : WORKGROUP
Host Name : charles-PC
User : charles

Processor
Model : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6400 @ 2.00GHz
Speed : 2GHz
Cores per Processor : 2 Unit(s)
Threads per Core : 1 Unit(s)
Type : Mobile, Dual-Core
Integrated Data Cache : 2x 32kB, Synchronous, Write-Thru, 8-way, 64 byte line size
L2 On-board Cache : 2MB, ECC, Synchronous, ATC, 8-way, 64 byte line size, 2 threads sharing

Computer
Platform Compliance : Intel Centrino Mobile Technology
Mainboard : Quanta 3627
BIOS : HP F.02 11/14/2008
Bus(es) : PCI PCIe IMB USB i2c/SMBus
Multi-Processor (MP) Support : No
Multi-Processor Advanced PIC (APIC) : Yes
Total Memory : 4GB DDR3 SO-DIMM

Chipset
Model : HP GM45 Mobile Controller Hub
Front Side Bus Speed : 4x 200MHz (800MHz)
Total Memory : 4GB DDR3 SO-DIMM
Shared Memory : 64MB
Channels : 2
Memory Bus Speed : 2x 400MHz (800MHz)

Memory Module(s)
Memory Module : Micron 16HTF25664HY-800E1 2GB DDR2 SO-DIMM PC2-6400U DDR2-800 (5-6-6-18 3-24-6-3)
Memory Module : Micron 16HTF25664HY-800E1 2GB DDR2 SO-DIMM PC2-6400U DDR2-800 (5-6-6-18 3-24-6-3)

Video System
Video Adapter : Mobile Intel(R) 45 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.1) (10 SM4.0 533MHz, 64MB DDR3, Integrated Graphics)

Graphics Processor

Storage Devices
TOSHIBA MK3252GSX (320GB, SATA300, 2.5", 5400rpm, NCQ, 8MB Cache) : 298GB (C:) (D:)
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L (SATA150, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 2MB Cache) : 3GB (E:)

Logical Storage Devices
Hard Disk (C:) : 286GB (NTFS) @ TOSHIBA MK3252GSX (320GB, SATA300, 2.5", 5400rpm, NCQ, 8MB Cache)
RECOVERY (D:) : 12GB (NTFS) @ TOSHIBA MK3252GSX (320GB, SATA300, 2.5", 5400rpm, NCQ, 8MB Cache)
BUILD (E:) : 3GB (UDF) @ HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L (SATA150, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 2MB Cache)

Peripherals
LPC Hub Controller 1 : HP (ICH9M) LPC Interface Controller
Audio Device : HP (ICH9) HD Audio Controller
Audio Codec : Integrated Device Tech 7603h
Audio Codec : Lucent/Agere Systems (Was: AT&T MicroElectronics) HDA softmodem
Serial Port(s) : 1
Disk Controller : HP (ICH9) Mobile SATA AHCI Controller
USB Controller 1 : HP (ICH9) USB Universal Host Controller
USB Controller 2 : HP (ICH9) USB Universal Host Controller
USB Controller 3 : HP (ICH9) USB2 Enhanced Host Controller
USB Controller 4 : HP (ICH9) USB Universal Host Controller
USB Controller 5 : HP (ICH9) USB Universal Host Controller
USB Controller 6 : HP (ICH9) USB Universal Host Controller
USB Controller 7 : HP (ICH9) USB Universal Host Controller
USB Controller 8 : HP (ICH9) USB2 Enhanced Host Controller
SMBus/i2c Controller 1 : Intel 801xx/63xx SMBus

Printers and Faxes
Printer : Microsoft XPS Document Writer (600x600, Colour)
Fax : Microsoft Shared Fax Driver (200x200)

Network Services
Network Adapter : Realtek RTL8102E Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)
Network Adapter : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Wireless Adapter 1 : Broadcom 4322AG 802.11a/b/g/draft-n Wi-Fi Adapter (802.11n (HT), TKIP, 11Mbps)

Power Management
Mains (AC) Line Status : On-Line
Battery No 1 : 100%

Operating System
Windows System : Microsoft Windows 7 Home 6.01.7600
Platform Compliance : x64

Windows Experience Index
Current System : 3.4
Old 12-28-2010, 10:19 AM

Default Re: Can't playback demo

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovyflow View Post
Could that fact that I'm using the system drive be why I can't get through a full playback of the Filtered Dream Demo Session?
Yes.

It could also be a number of other incompatibilities I see in your system report. (more on that in a minute)

Quote:
When I loaded the demo, I saw this message:
"The original disk allocation for this session cannot be used. Check the disk allocation window to see what's changed.
This warning just means that the session was originally saved on a different hard drive than the one you are trying to play it back from. It's nothing to be alarmed about.
Quote:
Your I/O setup has changed since the last time this session was saved. Check the I/0 setups window to see what's changed."
This warning just means that the session was saved using different hardware than you have (for instance, a 003 instead of the MBox). It's nothing to be alarmed about.

Quote:
The first error message was:
"The audio device buffer underflowed. If this occurs frequently, try decreasing the "H/W Buffer Size in the Playback Engine panel or remove other devices from the audio firewire bus. (-6085)"
This is most likely caused by having the wireless network adapter active while using Pro Tools, but it can also be caused by running sessions from the system drive, and also hardware incompatibilities.

Quote:
Video System
Video Adapter : Mobile Intel(R) 45 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.1) (10 SM4.0 533MHz, 64MB DDR3, Integrated Graphics)
Integrated graphics are not supported or compatible for Pro Tools use. Since you are using a laptop, this problem has no workaround other than to purchase a different compatible computer for use with Pro Tools.
Seriously.
No joke.
Sorry.

If/When you DO get a computer that will be compatible, here are some other things that you need to pay close attention to:
Quote:
Storage Devices
TOSHIBA MK3252GSX (320GB, SATA300, 2.5", 5400rpm, NCQ, 8MB Cache) : 298GB (C:) (D:)
You need a separate, qualified hard drive for recording and playback of Pro Tools audio sessions. It must be at least 7200rpm (5400rpm and lower are just too slow for streaming audio). For laptops, that usually means an external firewire or eSATA drive.
Quote:
Wireless Adapter 1 : Broadcom 4322AG 802.11a/b/g/draft-n Wi-Fi Adapter (802.11n (HT), TKIP, 11Mbps)
Disabling the wireless network card is a MUST when using Pro Tools.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 12-28-2010, 01:08 PM

What he said^^^^. But with Windows 7, you can actually use a USB2 hard drive(but it still needs to be 7200 rpm). Also, do all the system tweaks in the getting started guide, especially turning OFF power management on all USB ports.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-28-2010, 03:53 PM

Thanks to both of you for amazingly detailed replies, albeit containing some bad news. Spkguitar, when you say:

"Integrated graphics are not supported or compatible for Pro Tools use. Since you are using a laptop, this problem has no workaround other than to purchase a different compatible computer for use with Pro Tools.
Seriously.
No joke.
Sorry."

I take it to mean much more than that I'm that I'm going to have an unnattractive display when using Pro Tools. I assume what you're saying is instead that I'm not going to get anything at all done with ProTools using my current computer.

I guess I'll take a look at the recommendations in the 'Best desktops for PTLE' post and figure out how serious I am about Pro Tools.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
I assume what you're saying is instead that I'm not going to get anything at all done with ProTools using my current computer.
Unfortunately, yes, that is what I am saying. Sorry.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12