Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2005, 04:19 PM

Default Sound Editing in ProTools LE

Hello,
I am trying to put together a sound editing system and I'm wondering what the best way to view quicktime movies on a seprate monitor will be. I'm running the Mbox ProtoolsLE 6.4 on PC, gateway 700XL Pentium 4, 2.5ghz, 1Gigram.

I am concerned that CPU usage will be an issue.
I would like to play the quicktimes through a firewire port, into a Canpous ADVC 100 Dv transcoder. As far as I'm aware, you can't do that on the PC version of LE.

Is there a version of the virtual VTR that would work with PC on my setup?

Are there any workarounds or strategies that anyone could recommend?

If I got an additional video card and had a dual monitor setup, would that alleviate CPU strain? Would I be able to view the movies at full screen size? Any video cards that anyone could recommend?

Besides that, If I'm working on a project in LE 6.4, is it possible to save it and then open it on another computer that runs TDM or HD, or different version of LE? How about vice versa? Or PC to Mac.

thanks for the help,
sincerely,
Grant
Old 01-02-2005, 01:56 AM

Default Re: Sound Editing in ProTools LE

Currently on a PC, the only option for displaying your movie on a separate monitor is to use a dual head video card. I use an ATI 7500 All-In-Wonder that allows me to connect a standard television to the second head. I then set up the Windows Display Properties to extend my desktop to the TV. When you load your movie in Pro-Tools just move the screen over to the TV. You can play around with the resolution of the TV (also in display properties) to adjust the size of your picture (I'd start with a 640x480). I'm looking forward to the day that Digi includes the Firewire output option for Windows. In the meantime, this works just fine.

FYI, in case you didn't already know, Pro-Tools on a PC does not require a Quicktime movie. You can use most any AVI that can be made in Premier, Vegas, or even Windows Movie Maker. When you load your movie just remember to select "All Files" in the files selector's drop down menu or else you won't see your AVI.

I frequently run 24 tracks, a ton of plug-ins, plus a movie, and neither Pro-Tools nor my CPU seem to be under even the slightest strain (average under 10% of CPU)

If you haven't bought your video card yet I'd recommend the Matrox P750. It has three heads: two for CRT's and one for standard television. Lots of real estate!

Enforce PC/Mac compatibility and select aiff when you "Save Copy In" and you should be able to open your sessions on any 6.0+ system. Maybe even 5.0 systems (?) - if you don't mind losing some things in the process.
Old 01-02-2005, 03:37 AM

As pointed out above I'd recommend you getting a dedicated video card like the Matrox P750 (or a Parhelia would be even better): I have it in my setup and it works flawlessy once you have it set up the right way; it's a triple head video card that can be configured in a number of ways, from three CRT monitors, to two flat pannels and a CRT, and so on 'till the combination that interests us: two CRT monitors and a TV out; it's done by using the included adapter, and once you have it hooked up you can have the two Pro Tools windows (Mix and Edit) on one monitor each, and have the QT preview automatically displayed at full resolution on the TV (or whatever video screen you have, be it plasma, LCD, video projector, that accept video or S-video inputs)and in perfect sync with the PT movie window. There's a few things to know about this setup though: You have to use a particular version or QT (6.3) as not everything works, plus you have to do a few settings in the Matrox control application (Powerdesk) and use a little "trick" to have the movie played correctly on the screen.

If you get one email me and I'll send you all of the necessary settings, although there's a specific thread here on this forum that says it all, just do a search for Matrox P750.

Hope this helps

L.G.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:48 AM

Thanks for the helpful replies.
OK another question, I just realized my computer has only one AGP slot, which is currently being used by the video card that came with the computer and is already connected to my one monitor. I have several open PCI card slots.

Should I remove the already installed card from the AGP slot, replace it with the Matrox P750 or some card, and get a PCI video card for each additional monitor?

To run a dual or triple monitor setup, do I need a video card for each monitor? How does that work?

Thanks again,
Sincerely,
Grant
Old 01-02-2005, 11:14 AM

Did you read and understand my post?

I wrote
Quote:
it's a triple head video card that can be configured in a number of ways, from three CRT monitors, to two flat pannels and a CRT, and so on 'till the combination that interests us: two CRT monitors and a TV out
The P750 IS a multi head card and WILL allow you to hook up to three monitors to its outputs (by using its included adapter) or two monitors and a video device. Just replace your existing AGP card with it, install the drivers, configure it and you're set, leave the PCI slots for other controllers (or firewire cards etc...)

Hope this helps

L.G.
Old 01-02-2005, 02:05 PM

First question is, how many monitors can you live with?

If you can live with one monitor for editing, and another for video, pretty much any PC video card will give you that option.

All the editors where I work, pretty much work that way on their MACS.

www.markhensley.tv
Old 01-03-2005, 05:40 AM

Quote:

Excuse me, but...what's the point of this?

L.G.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Excuse me, but...what's the point of this?

L.G.
The point is, that most editors I know use one monitor. Therefore if he is satisfied with using one monitor for editing, then the other output of any cheap Video card can be used for picture, without having to spend more money.
As long as the picture and audio are on separate drives (not separate partitions of the sam drive), he'll be fine.

Personally, when I am editing, I am fine having a small quicktime on one of my 2 LCD monitors. Then I'll check it later on the TV. But that's me. I don't assume that the way i work, works for everyone.

Hence the question, can you live with one editing monitor.

That is my solution to the problem. Your post however, contributed nothing at all.

www.markhensley.tv
Old 01-03-2005, 11:11 AM

He asked for a dual monitor setup, and for QT at full size, that's why me and another guy suggested the P750 which is just fine for that application...if he could live with just one monitor maybe he wouldn't have asked...

L.G.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:22 AM

Quote:
He asked for a dual monitor setup, and for QT at full size, that's why me and another guy suggested the P750 which is just fine for that application...if he could live with just one monitor maybe he wouldn't have asked...

L.G.
If you read his original post, he didn't sspecify. Which is why I asked.

www.markhensley.tv