Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2003, 01:13 AM

Default OSX app for live RTAS instruments

Does anyone out there know any simple host app. you can use loaded with RTAS virtual insrtuments for live playing - no sequencing, but just real performance for concert show, instead of rack with synths. Midi and patch managment capable also?
Thanks
Old 11-30-2003, 03:05 AM

Default Re: OSX app for live RTAS instruments

Hey Baro,

RTAS is a Digi format, so if you don't want to use ProTools as the host program you'll have to look for a VST, AudioUnit or Direct-X solution. There are a number a good options for your purpose but it's still a technology in the making as computers become faster and more reliable, which is an absolute must for live gigs....
Old 11-30-2003, 05:03 AM

Baro,

I've tried them all I believe. I am running PT LE live with a 002 Rack, Reason Rewired, a hardware module routed thru the PT mixer (coming in 7/8) and a Native Instruments FM7.

Occasionally the 002 and the machine lost connection (has happened once at a live gig) and once Reason froze but besides that it's been ok. Reason by far is the most stable and low overhead program out there, so if you want something that really works for live now that is one of the few.

On windows, there is a program by Steinberg called VST rack to do just what you are talking about, but nothing like it on Mac and of course nothing for RTAS except PT.

For live performance, thus far I've tried Logic 6, Cubase SX, Reason, Ableton Live, FM7, Absynth2, and Pro Tools. Logic wouldn't let me use two midi controllers at the same time. Cubase was a joke with the screwed up midi filtering you had to do to make it work. Pro Tools has been the best host program thus far but you need a powerful laptop...the most powerful you can afford I recommend. I am running on a year old powerbook and that is part of my problem.

If Ableton Live ever allows VSTi instruments then I may move completely to Live as the host. That is an awesome program for Live performance.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:08 AM

The Unity suite of samplers and synths, although are RTAS plugins, can be run in stand-alone mode. We have a dedicated "Player" application for just such an event.

-Carl at Bitheadz.