Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2004, 01:36 PM

Default Re: Another Apple Rumor

Mac's have never more affordable than they are now. Why buy a PC and hope it will work with PT when you can just get a Mac and it's plug and play instantly.
eg. The Imac and Ibook with a 002R.

Nick
Old 10-31-2004, 08:01 PM

To All...
I have been looking at this thread and I think everyone has raised some valid and/or interesting views...I said on another thread after Logic 7 was released I thought the dust would settle in 6 months to a year...and I think that will hold up.......
I have a Apogee Rosetta 800 as well as a motu 896(not HD 192)...the sound is gorgeous...now that the x cards are starting to appear you really don't need a interface...or more specifically the Apogee becomes your interface...and with a mouse...or better yet a good quality control surface you can do your panoramic,automation ...et al...
I said all that to say that that getting Apogee in the fold would be a major coup for Apple and getting Motu would be a double major coup....sure issues such as latency would have to be worked out (which I have no doubt would be)...but in the end Apple would definitely be in a venerable position..both as regards software,hardware...and oops did I forget computers and OS...I think Logic 7 has alerted everyone that Distributed Audio is the path that they are headed...and if anyone at present can pull that off at this point in time it is going to be Apple..(x-serves,Clusters....affordable Super Computers)...it is getting real interesting and a month hasn't even passed....let's all sit back(while we work of course)...and watch the show...

Thothprod
Old 10-31-2004, 08:26 PM

I think a lot of you are forgetting that MOTU is now more a HARDWARE company than a SOFTWARE one. Look at the back of your audio mags. What do YOU see them pushing? Sure isn't DP4!! The interface market will swirl if these two companies are bought up. Remember, you DO have latency with a Pro Tools system, just like your "native" systems, just less of it, and probably more predictable. That WILL change as computers get 100 times FASTER in the next FEW years. Would love to see this happen! We'll see... I AM watching Apples stock climbing as it DEFINES the PRO AUDIO market...(barbs intended!)
Old 10-31-2004, 09:06 PM

Default Re: Another Rob Rumor

Quote:
Quote:

On the other hand MOTU would be a better investment for them since MOTU is both a low-end interface and Mac software developer.
the HD192 is a low end interface? you might want to get your ears cleaned then compare that to your digi 192's. the hd192 is an excellent and well priced unit.
After having problems with two 002's I bought an 828MKII to run with Nuendo. Can't afford to have down time in the studio. Yes I work in both PT Le and Nuendo and love both.
One thing for sure, the 82 has better convertors with more focus on the bottom end. We've noticed that the 002 seems colored in delivering a Hi-Fi like sound compared to the MOTU.
On the other hand the mic pre's on the 002 are by far warmer than the MOTU's.

For it's price the features on the 828 are great and I'd love to get a couple more but what if Apple buy MOTU and drop all PC support yet again!!
Old 10-31-2004, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Maybe it's not the technology they want from MOTU -- maybe it's that sexy unicorn. I know that I certainly think "cutting edge music technology" whenever I see a mythical animal -- in purple!

Maybe Apple is now in secret discussions with General Mills to aquire that company, as well. We could soon see a leprechaun-endorsed Lucky Charms iPod to go along with the new U2 one... EIRE!!!!!! Magically Delicious!!!
completely OT, but have been waiting to post this, and this post reminded of the incident...

Customer rings up and says he was talking to one of my co-workers about sound cards, and the conversation goes something like this... ( bear in mind that the customer is completely serious throughout )

Customer; " He was talking about an RME hammer something "
Me; " Was it the RME hammerfall ? "
Customer; " Yeah - what are they like?"
Me; "RME make excellent sound cards"
Customer; " My mate says there's a really good card - another one, the Eight twenty eight or something.."
Me; " Oh right - the 828 mark 11 -thats a good interface as well..."
Customer; "yeah - the 828. Year of the Leprechaun wasn't it?
Me (thinking he meant that the year eight hundred and twenty eight was the Irish Year of the Leprechaun or some such)
"Right ..was it, fair enough"

some discussion about the quality of the audio interfaces in general

Customer; " Will I be able to tell the difference between the RME and the 828 thing?"
Me; " If you had a really good studio room and setup - yes, but from what you've told me about your gear" ( which was ultra low end ) " it won't make much difference - they're both really good - the RME is excellent, and the 828 will sound great too"
Customer; " Year of the Leprachaun wasn't it ?"
Me (puzzled) " Yeah, I dunno... whatever ... Anyway - you'll find they both do a good job for you.."
Customer; " it was the Year of the Leprechaun i think..."
At this point I stopped and thought - what the hells he going on about ??? I don't know if year Eight hundred and twenty eight is the year of some mythical folklore character, and I don't care... whats this got to do with....

then the penny dropped

Me ( Laughing) " Hang on, you don't mean Mark of the Unicorn do you?"
Customer; (excited) " Yeah! thats it ...."

At this point I had to put the phone on hold, and have someone take over the call - sometimes you laugh so hard, you think a kidneys gonna pop out...

For your General Entertainment.

G5 Dual 1.8 /1.5 Gb Ram
OSX 10.4.7
PT LE 7.3 cs1
DIGI 002
Waves Ren
Sony Bundle
Soundtoys-arama
NI Komplete 3
Old 11-22-2004, 09:37 PM

Check this. I guess Apple is going after the M-Audio market first.
....it's a foot in the door.
Old 11-23-2004, 03:49 PM

Not a rumor but plain common sense :

- How long can a corporation like Avid / Digidesign afford to keep developing for both the Mac and the PC platform ?

- Again how long can Digi let the developement of such a sophisticated platform like Pro Tools, depend on the whims of Apple marketing department ?

Well then answer seems obvious :
1 - the time it takes to make the PC platform as trustworthy as the Mac : done

2 - the time it takes serious plugin makers to port to PC platform : almost done, ilok beeing the icing on the cake that makes hopping from one platform to the next a cinch.

Conclusion, Digi + Mac will be history sooner that we think...

Pro Tools Ultimate & Carbon
M2 Max Studio
Old 11-23-2004, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Not a rumor but plain common sense :

- How long can a corporation like Avid / Digidesign afford to keep developing for both the Mac and the PC platform ?
As long as FileMaker and Microsoft have continued development for both platforms. 20+ years for Microsoft, and almost as many for FileMaker.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:15 PM

If you want to sell units, then you do it. Isn't that why they started PC support in the first place? I've heard these conspiracies all before.

For a company like Avid/Digi to drop support of a platform that has been their bread and butter, while it's consumer market grows and grows, they'd have to be out of their minds.

Just because the PC medium has gotten more popular as technology improves, and digi has tapped into it, doesn't mean they'll drop Macs. They got macs. They are putting energy into making PC's rock to get more windows units.

Sell to everybody.

It makes sense that Apple would aquire an audio hardware company to compete with Digidesign and others. Everything you need, all Apple. Your electric toothbrush will play iTunes.

They want to be the Uber company, just like Digi does.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:28 PM

Agreed