Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2006, 04:16 PM

Default Re: Your go to vocal compressor?

I like the Massey CT4 for vocals. It's become my go-to.

masseyplugins.com
Old 08-05-2006, 09:31 PM

I second the Waves RenVox. I find it also works great on certain solo instruments as well.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:36 AM

I use UA LA2A and 1176 on my mix system all the time. Can't better it. Shame it has been discontinued, but not a major issue for me on my "old rig".

Also Sony Dynamics are pretty sweet. Check out Steve Massey's plugins. Bargain!!!
Old 08-06-2006, 04:46 AM

real world - dbx 166 (the original) / ITB - mcdsp and sony dynamics
Old 08-06-2006, 05:04 AM

It was so easy when I just had Waves TDM, now there are so many comps.....I just don't know anymore. I do use the UA TDM and now I find out they're discontinued (I know it took me long enough to find out). I think I'll go back to Waves, at least they hang around with their products....bugger UA.

Nick
Old 08-06-2006, 10:13 AM

Quote:
i have had two of those collecting dust along with my PCM70 and rev 7s and spx90

sometime i wonder if i should hook em up but i'm kinda lazy that way and also the challenge of working in the box feels like the future to me.

Old 08-06-2006, 01:06 PM

Has anyone tried Smack on vocals? Is it any good? I don't own it.... but it's really cheap, so I may pick it up. I've used the Renasance stuff at another studio. Other than the SSL stuff, it's the only other waves stuff that I've found I like, so far.

-Tom
Old 08-06-2006, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Quote:
i have had two of those collecting dust along with my PCM70 and rev 7s and spx90

sometime i wonder if i should hook em up but i'm kinda lazy that way and also the challenge of working in the box feels like the future to me.
Man, I hate hearing the reason someone won't use a piece of outboard gear is because they are lazy...that's pretty nuts (and says a lot about where this profession is heading). I personally would never use a plug-in compressor on a lead vocal... no way (same with eq). I mean if I had to I guess I would have to make due, but not when I have great outboard compressors and eq's. A recall sheet takes about 15-30 seconds to fill out; way worth it. Remeber, plug-ins, will never sound as good as real gear. Plug in your outboard comp and you'll realize it quickly.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:03 PM

I agree with JSR!
I use a Tubetech CL-1B or a Distressor on most incoming vocal tracks and LIGHTLY (if needed) compress ITB w/ a plug. I rarely use a plug as "the" vocal compressor. BTW - I think the SSL comp plug sounds great for the secondary comp to help the vocal sit nicely in the track.
My .02.
Mac Mini (2019)
3.2 Ghz - 6 Core i7
Mojave with 64 GB RAM
PT Ultimate (2019.10)
Motu 16a
C/24 Control Surface
Old 08-06-2006, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Man, I hate hearing the reason someone won't use a piece of outboard gear is because they are lazy...that's pretty nuts (and says a lot about where this profession is heading). I personally would never use a plug-in compressor on a lead vocal... no way (same with eq). I mean if I had to I guess I would have to make due, but not when I have great outboard compressors and eq's. A recall sheet takes about 15-30 seconds to fill out; way worth it. Remeber, plug-ins, will never sound as good as real gear. Plug in your outboard comp and you'll realize it quickly.

Some of the best reverb sounds I've ever gotten was with a pcm 70 back when. Only reason it left was to use the proceeds of its sale for a 300L after it hit the streets.

And I can't imagine printing vocal tracks without an LA3a banging on them. Thank god.

David Correia
www.CelebrationSound.com