Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2005, 09:32 AM

Default Sonic quality Loss??, On reboot Sounds good again?

Absolutely bizarre.

I was noticing that some drums I had tracked were sounding mysteriously thin. Like an MP3. Weird thing is, these drums were recorded same time 5 other drum tracks were put down for other songs.

When I open those other songs the drums sound excellent. Just as they were recorded.

Anyway, I have been tracking the other instruments anyway thinking I could always program some drums to replace these tracks if needed. While tracking the bass guitar I was fooling around ( pretending I still could act like I had an analog board) turning plug-ins off and on and I crashed ProTools. I deserved it certainly. Magical thing was when I opened PT again and loaded the song, the drums were HUGE. Sonics were as I had remembered. They were in the same ballpark as the other tunes. It was such a difference. I looked at the drummer and nearly the same instance we both made the same comment... "Did the drums just totally sound better there? Did they come back?" "yeah, that was how I remember them" "me too". Now for only about 2 passes the drums were back to normal. Then boom. Thin and crispy again. I opened other songs still good. Closed PT opened PT and the drums for this song were still thin.

This is a completely random thing and seems isolated to this song only.

Has anyone one else experienced this?

mach-1

forgot specs.---
g5 dual 2.5GHz
8GB RAM
PT LE with 002
10.3.8 OSX
Pro Tools 6.7 with all current updates.
Waves Gold

Old 04-15-2005, 10:37 AM
Avid

Default Re: Sonic quality Loss??, On reboot Sounds good ag

If you're using plug-ins on the drum tracks, this is likely caused by plug-in delay. You can nudge your tracks by the amount of plug-in delay to get them 'in sync' again.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:58 AM

Default Re: Sonic quality Loss??, On reboot Sounds good ag

Nope. no plugins are involved.

These are raw dry tracks.

The band and I had been discussing re-tracking due to the strange sound. before we even started tracking other instruments. Compared to the other songs this certainly was the black sheep in the audio sonics. no explanation as to why though.

Why would this thing "snap" out of the sonic funk?? Then snap back in? worse yet randomly. I have gone through all settings. Made sure no dithering was set during recording playback etc. There is absolutely nothing within the program that sets this song apart from the others. Other than name and length and performance that is.

Very odd.

Like I said all the other tracks are great. Just this song.

mach-1