Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 04-13-2020, 12:45 PM

Default Asking for help.. PT not even starting up anymore

So, I've been using stuff like Guitar Rig, Audacity with my Roland Duo-Capture EX happily for some time (picked up the guitar again after a long absence) and decided to try to put together full tracks. So, I stumble upon Pro Tools First and think - awesome free way to start. I might upgrade. But... I just cannot get it to work. It's either:

Could not complete your request because Assertion in "E:\ Code\ 238949\ ProTools\ AAE\ Source\ AAX\ CFicAAXWidget.cpp", line 994.
or
Hardware not installed or used by another process
or
Only showing me my Dell Monitor Audio in the Playback engine options
or
Sometimes showing the Roland but being unable to hear any sound.

Since this it's actually gotten worse again. I can no longer access the audio engine dialog by pressing N during start. It gets as far as there and then the app simply crashes. I actually fully reset Windows 10 to ensure there were no other interfering issues. It also rather unhelpfully won't let me uninstall. It's grayed out.

So... Is this a common experience for others? Are there Pro-Tools pros who I can pay to help me trouble-shoot? Should I just give up and try use something else?

Any comments or advice appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-13-2020, 12:49 PM

Default Re: Asking for help.. PT not even starting up anymore

Additional info:

I've tried deleting the protools folder under appdata\roaming
Windows 10 64 Bit with PT First 2019.5
Fresh install for both (yesterday)
Roland Duo Capture has up to date driver

Thank you!
Old 04-13-2020, 04:13 PM

Is Windows set to use the Roland as its "Default Playback Device" in Windows>Settings>Sound? Set that to the on-board sound card and test again. Not sure if Guitar Rig works in PT[First

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-14-2020, 12:44 PM

Hi Albee. Yes it is.
Old 04-15-2020, 11:58 AM

Like Albee said, set Windows to not use the Roland Audio device and to just use the onboard audio as its default sound device.

Then reboot and launch PTF holding the N key down. This should allow you to pick a playback engine device and continue.

System Details
Old 04-15-2020, 02:33 PM

1.I would suggest to install Pro Tools First 2019-6 because Version -5 has a major bug when loosing internet connection. You can loose all you work in seconds. In Pro Tools First general You will never get a official support, because it's no frills marketing version.

2.You won`t be able to work with Plugins that are not from the Avid Marketplace. There is no chance to bring Guitar Rig into Pro Tools First.

3.If you really want to test Pro Tools - take the opportunity and install Pro Tools Trial Version. You will have Access to all your installed Plugins, can configure PT exactly to your system and most of all you can save your work on your Computer Harddisk.

4.If you are a student, teacher you can get the full PT Version with the full Plugin Pack (incl. Eleven Rack MK2 - in my Opinion Miles ahead to Guitar Rig) for less than 10 Dollars a month. With full support.

These are my suggestions - and believe me I started with Pro Tools First as well and learned it he hard way.

Best