Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2002, 09:22 AM

Default How to blend "three" separate audio tracks onto one track..?

Hi admirable DUC Members,

I have "three" separate audio tracks that I would like to blend to one track. The scenario is this:

I tracked a Mandolin player last night that couldn't quite get the parts correct passing between the verse and the chorus. So I suggested he played each individual part on a seperate track and I could "blend" them later during an "editing session". Each track has four audio regions for a total of twelve audio regions that need to be copied to a new track. The problem is some of the audio regions will "overlap" when I copy them... I do not want to "chop off" the beginnings and ends of each audio region.

I would like be able to "cut and paste" the separate "audio regions" (with thier current time stamp) onto a new track, without losing the "time stamp", or "chopping off" beginnings and ends.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I have a feeling this is going to be quite simple, but forgive me for I haven't ventured that deep into the editing ground... Thus far I have had the good fortune of tracking excellent musicians who could play thier parts completely thru the song, so this is a first for me. Thanks [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-27-2002, 10:02 AM

Default Re: How to blend "three" separate audio tracks onto one track..?

Bounce only those solo'd tracks to a stereo or mono file (using the same bit depth as the rest of the track 16 or 24) and then import the new track back into your session. Don't be to hasty to delete those old tracks though just in case you later find that you're not happy with the bounced track.

Hope this helps!

BigRedButton / Jackson Jackson
www.jacksonbjackson.com
Old 08-27-2002, 10:11 AM

BigRedButton, Hi and THANKS!! That is an excellent idea, it never occured to me to bounce the tracks and import.

One question though:

How will I ensure that the "time stamp" remains for proper alignment after import..? Or will I have to nudge it into place..?

Thanks again BRB [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-27-2002, 10:16 AM

You can also bounce to another track inside your session without having to import [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-27-2002, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gabriel_p:
You can also bounce to another track inside your session without having to import [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Sabe,
I think this is what gabriel meant. if not gabriel, tell me so.... Solo the 3 tracks you want to bounce down. Set the outputs of the tracks to an open bus. Create a new audio track and record arm it. Set it to receive from the same bus the other tracks outputs were set to. Now go to the first "bounceable" region and hit record. Now all 3 tracks are being bounced in real time just like you would if you had a console. Just watch your level on the new audio track since you're bringing 3 to 1. Have fun. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Ryan
Old 08-27-2002, 01:08 PM

You could use a plugin comp on each of the tracks your playing back, while recording on another track. There will be a few millaseconds of latency, but you can nudge the track after it's recorded. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-27-2002, 01:12 PM

Hi Sabe,
I wouldn't change a thing that's been said, but I would add that if you do BRB's suggestion(same as what I would do), I would add NO effects or EQ initially. Save that luxury for when you get it into the 'real' session. Just a suggestion... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

~Roy
Old 08-27-2002, 01:23 PM

Sabe,
I'm sure you already thought of just setting the levels so when you bounce it will be fine. you could also write in some automation for parts that may need it before you bounce. Or think about this. You could put a digi comp or whatever plug you like on 1 or all 3 of the tracks individually. when you bounce, the comp/limiter is recorded on to the new track. Or to make matters more fun, bus all 3 tracks to an aux track, comp the aux track, then set the aux out to the in of the bounced audio track. that way the plug is being recorded to the bounce, and you only have to use one plug. But getting back to your original statement, try using you analog inserts.(unless thats what you meant) under plug-in go to i/o and go out and in the same number i/o. it might/will induce some latency, but you can always line in back up w/ the original session. If I can assume that you have some empty space before or after the 3 original regions, use your signal generator plug to create a reference tone...kinda like in the old movies when it counted down, at 2 there was always a little beep. Do 1k for .060 sec. then just line up the beeps perfectly on waalaa... A perfectly bounced track including outboard gear. Hope this helps and keep 'em comin'. Later -Ryan
Old 08-27-2002, 01:48 PM

By the way...thanks Ryan, you taught me something today... gotta try your way sometime soon. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-27-2002, 01:55 PM

No problem Roy. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]