How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2018, 04:09 AM

Default Closing Session excessively long

Hello,

I am a post guy and since I use multiple instances of Battery 4 (last version) my Pro Tools sessions closing excessively long (very very long). I often force to quit.
Each times I rec midi or work on a session it's the same. But if I open a session and save it while I do nothing, closing time is normal.
I just uninstal completely Pro Tools (trash all folders) and install 2018.4 (HD, well no, Ultimate) and it changes nothing…
I run very large sessions with big routing but as I said it appears since I use Battery. Even if I hide and make inactive Battery's tracks it's the same. To normaly close Pro Tools sessions I have to delete these tracks.

What can I do ? Any ideas to help me ?

Thanks !
Old 04-27-2018, 04:58 AM

Default Re: Closing Session excessively long

What type of drives are you using - spinners or ssd's? Internal or external drives?
Hopefully you're not letting the drives sleep.

What happens if you only use one instance of Battery 4?

QAPLA!
Old 04-27-2018, 05:14 AM

Drives are SSD for the OS and "classics" for sessions, audio, video.
And of course they never sleep.
I just tested and with one instance of Battery it's ok.
And for the moment my work around is : save my session, delete midi tracks, save this new session with a different name, close session and open the first (good) session, it's faster than save session and close !
Old 04-27-2018, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanos View Post
Drives are SSD for the OS and "classics" for sessions, audio, video.
And of course they never sleep.
I just tested and with one instance of Battery it's ok.
And for the moment my work around is : save my session, delete midi tracks, save this new session with a different name, close session and open the first (good) session, it's faster than save session and close !
By 'classics' I guess you mean spinners right? What exact drives do you have and are they 7200 rpm? Internals or externals? Hopefully the drives are not 'green' drives. I use WD Black 7200 rpm spinners as my internal session and sample drives.

I don't see how your workaround works. You save the session and THEN delete the MIDI tracks and save it with a new name? Then you go back to the first (unedited) session? How is that saving you time? And really - how long does it take to save the session with multiple Battery 4 instances? Why do you need multiple instances? Trying to understand the problem.

QAPLA!
Old 04-27-2018, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
By 'classics' I guess you mean spinners right? What exact drives do you have and are they 7200 rpm? Internals or externals? Hopefully the drives are not 'green' drives. I use WD Black 7200 rpm spinners as my internal session and sample drives.

I don't see how your workaround works. You save the session and THEN delete the MIDI tracks and save it with a new name? Then you go back to the first (unedited) session? How is that saving you time? And really - how long does it take to save the session with multiple Battery 4 instances? Why do you need multiple instances? Trying to understand the problem.
Indeed I didn't specify it's internal spinner drives, Seagate 7200 rpm barracuda (don't remember the exact name), they are not green.

You're right for my workaround, it's : save the session without closing, then delete the midi tracks and save it with a new name, close the edited session, and then go back to the first (unedited) session and open it.
It is faster because closing sessions with this problem takes almost 4 or 5mn.

Multiple instance of Battery correspond (for example) to footsteps for a character or foley. And there is multiples characters, and footsteps and foleys !

Hope I am clear and thanks to try to understand !
Old 04-27-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanos View Post
Indeed I didn't specify it's internal spinner drives, Seagate 7200 rpm barracuda (don't remember the exact name), they are not green.

You're right for my workaround, it's : save the session without closing, then delete the midi tracks and save it with a new name, close the edited session, and then go back to the first (unedited) session and open it.
It is faster because closing sessions with this problem takes almost 4 or 5mn.

Multiple instance of Battery correspond (for example) to footsteps for a character or foley. And there is multiples characters, and footsteps and foleys !

Hope I am clear and thanks to try to understand !
I still don't see how your procedure is making things faster because you're still dealing with the original unedited session. Editing that session and saving it with a new name does not affect the unedited session - how can it? You can only affect one session at a time UNLESS there's something else going on with your system.

Are you keeping PT open during all this time or what?

QAPLA!
Old 04-27-2018, 09:44 AM

Ok, example :

1. Save the session 'John_Doe', don't close.
2. Delete Battery's tracks from this session.
3. Save this session with another name 'John_Doe_00' (or not, I don't care about this session)
4. Close the session
And it took normal time.

But forgot my workaround it doesn't work. It worked one time this morning (before I tried to explain to you) I don't know why.

But what I notice now is when I delete the midi tracks it takes the same amount of time than close the session. Very very very long.

When closing the session it takes time on Battery's midi tracks (Pro Tools dialogue on screen).
And the same if I try to delete them
Old 04-27-2018, 11:51 AM

We had these problems with 12.8.2, 12.8.3, and 2018.1 (long unload times of the mixer with large midi/instrument sessions; though no issue with opening times.)
12.8.1 did not have any issues.
2018.3 and 2018.4 have not had issues.

I suggest trashing everything (databases and preferences, etc) and let pro tools rebuild from scratch and then reset your preferences by hand (don't reload old/backed-0up preferences).
Old 04-28-2018, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
We had these problems with 12.8.2, 12.8.3, and 2018.1 (long unload times of the mixer with large midi/instrument sessions; though no issue with opening times.)
12.8.1 did not have any issues.
2018.3 and 2018.4 have not had issues.

I suggest trashing everything (databases and preferences, etc) and let pro tools rebuild from scratch and then reset your preferences by hand (don't reload old/backed-0up preferences).
Thanks BSscout.

Unfortunately it's a fresh install of 2018.4, so ne need to trash everything.

I notice this problem occured in december, don't remember the Pro Tools version, 12.8.2 if I remember correctly. But it correpond too to my heavy use of Battery.

Really don't know what to do. Maybe I have to clean my system by installing a fresh version of OSX. But I am in the middle of a big production and never did this. If only I knew it works.
Old 04-28-2018, 01:02 PM

mines doing the same thing since I've installed Antares Auto Tune Pro.