Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2014, 07:15 AM

Default Recording Midi to Audio

Hey guys. I've ran into a problem that I'm not sure how to fix. It seems that before it has worked fine and now for some reason I am getting this issue.

When I record a midi part, let's say 5 bars of any virtual instrument, then go to record that part to an audio file, all I get are two straight lines instead of the wave looking shape I should be getting. I still hear the file fine though.

Here's my process:
For the instrument I want to record to an audio file from I click on Blt-nOtpt1-2
Then select New Track
Then Audio Track
Then Create
Then I record the selection.

Am I missing a step? Like I said I remember doing this before and it working just fine.

Thanx for all replies and help!
Old 02-25-2014, 07:39 AM

Default Re: Recording Midi to Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kywildcat79 View Post
Hey guys. I've ran into a problem that I'm not sure how to fix. It seems that before it has worked fine and now for some reason I am getting this issue.

When I record a midi part, let's say 5 bars of any virtual instrument, then go to record that part to an audio file, all I get are two straight lines instead of the wave looking shape I should be getting. I still hear the file fine though.

Here's my process:
For the instrument I want to record to an audio file from I click on Blt-nOtpt1-2
Then select New Track
Then Audio Track
Then Create
Then I record the selection.

Am I missing a step? Like I said I remember doing this before and it working just fine.

Thanx for all replies and help!
Hi,

You should be routing the instrument track to an audio track by routing the output of the instrument track to the input of the audio track, but it looks like you are setting the audio track input to the built in optical digital input instead.

Just set the instrument track output to a spare aux, like aux 1/2 the set the audio track input to aux 1/2 and voila

chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:05 AM

Thanx for the reply. I tried that on a track, but the wave file still came out pretty small. Grant it, it was just a cymbal roll. I have a few other tracks in other sessions I will try this on. I have to put this track aside until my new instruments arrive anyway.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Thanx for the reply. I tried that on a track, but the wave file still came out pretty small. Grant it, it was just a cymbal roll. I have a few other tracks in other sessions I will try this on. I have to put this track aside until my new instruments arrive anyway.
Don't sweat that the waveform graphic looks small. All that matters is is there enough volume for your purposes. Cymbal rolls won't necessarily show huge waveforms unless you're hitting the cymbals with a sledge hammer and have the gain turned up high

QAPLA!
Old 05-20-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:

You may have accidentally made your waveform display at a minimum. As a shortcut, try this: hold [opiton+command] and for incremental movements tap the "{[" and "}]" keys. This will make your waveform smaller and larger.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:43 PM

Say the volume fader of the VI is at -30db when you do this... Once you route to the audio track it will be going there at -30db. In this case I would make the new audio track, put its fader at -30db and then ALT click the Virtual instrument's fader, returning it to 0db.

Side note, instead of making a new audio track and choosing a bus you can choose "new track" from the track output menu, choose correct track type (ex. Stereo Audio Track), you can even name the track in this window which will mean the bus it automatically creates will match the track name.

Mostly same deal just quicker.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:59 AM

Default Recording Midi Using MOTU AV Timepiece

Forgive me if this seems a dumb question, as I have not worked with midi that much.
I would like to record 2 midi keyboards, one for piano and one for organ, concurrently via MOTU. Each keyboard is on a different timepiece channel and configured to transmit using a different midi channel. I configured the 2 instrument tracks to receive the respective midi channels, but either keyboard is playing to both virtual instruments. The MOTU manual doesn't seem to address what I am trying to do. Is there a way to do this that I haven't been able to figure out?
Thanks
Old 05-23-2014, 05:30 PM

Default Re: Recording Midi Using MOTU AV Timepiece

Quote:
Originally Posted by cplaza View Post
Forgive me if this seems a dumb question, as I have not worked with midi that much.
I would like to record 2 midi keyboards, one for piano and one for organ, concurrently via MOTU. Each keyboard is on a different timepiece channel and configured to transmit using a different midi channel. I configured the 2 instrument tracks to receive the respective midi channels, but either keyboard is playing to both virtual instruments. The MOTU manual doesn't seem to address what I am trying to do. Is there a way to do this that I haven't been able to figure out?
Thanks
What MOTU MIDI interface are you using? And what's your computer and operating system?

QAPLA!
Old 05-27-2014, 05:15 AM

We have a custom-built 12 GB, 3.2 GHz, Hex Core Win/7 system with Asus MB, Crucial 256GB SSD system drive, 2 1TB Hitachi drives (in RAID-0 array) as the PT 10.3.3 primary data drive, 2 2TB Hitachi backup drives. We have 3 96 I/O interfaces connected to an Avid Native HD card. For MIDI we have a MOTU MIDI Timepiece AVP-USB through which I am trying to route 2 MIDI keyboards concurrently. Each keyboard is on a different timepiece channel, and configured to send on a different MIDI channel. Can't seem to get it working the way I need, as both keyboards send to both virtual instruments. Is what I'm trying to do even possible? Thanks.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cplaza View Post
We have a custom-built 12 GB, 3.2 GHz, Hex Core Win/7 system with Asus MB, Crucial 256GB SSD system drive, 2 1TB Hitachi drives (in RAID-0 array) as the PT 10.3.3 primary data drive, 2 2TB Hitachi backup drives. We have 3 96 I/O interfaces connected to an Avid Native HD card. For MIDI we have a MOTU MIDI Timepiece AVP-USB through which I am trying to route 2 MIDI keyboards concurrently. Each keyboard is on a different timepiece channel, and configured to send on a different MIDI channel. Can't seem to get it working the way I need, as both keyboards send to both virtual instruments. Is what I'm trying to do even possible? Thanks.
Perfectly possible. Did you do the routings in Timeworks? Also in PT select 'Instrument' to be shown in the Edit or Mix windows and set your MIDI routing there.

QAPLA!