Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2013, 05:57 PM

Default SSD and PT

Sorry for the tech help all the time, but Darryl Ramm advised I should run PT from an SSD drive rather than my crappy Caviar green drive and I agree, I can see this beginning to be a problem with as little as 10 plug ins. Im not exactly sure how to go about setting this up, I just wasted about 10 mins on an OS setup from a new OS install, but didnt gain the right knowledge from it... Anybody have some easy experience to share? thx.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:08 PM

Default Re: SSD and PT

If you have a working system drive... Go get "Acronis" and image that drive. Then restore the image to the new SSD.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-26-2013, 07:34 PM

With an SSD drive (including the Samsung 840 Pro I recommended before) its a food idea to leave 20% of the drive unformatted if you have the space.

And for the Samsung 840 Pro also enable Trim support in Windows. See http://lifehacker.com/5640971/check-...e-in-windows-7

Doing both thee things will help ensure write performance stays high though use of the drive.

Samsung also provide a soem data migration and mamagemnt products for their SSDs. See http://www.samsung.com/global/busine...downloads.html. Also check the firmware updates there, not critical but probably a good idea to just apply them before you start.

Darryl
Old 02-26-2013, 07:57 PM

Processing......TOM.. I have to learn all of that in which u refer. May take a min... Darryl, I'm in mid process of both steps now. Updating to latest Data Migration now...Im imagining that the Acronis will setup the usage and location of PT?
Old 02-26-2013, 08:18 PM

OK the Acronis is just Online Back up...I utilize an external drive for dumping into (sounds and project files) Not sure if I need an online back up just yet....I still dont see a path with PT involved either, I'm really not sure on how to set the path. I hear I am supposed to see the 840 Pro as a drive in "MY Computer", I do not have it as an active drive there, I sound like I have no time... My apologies, just trying to settle in to unfamiliar software. It's been a while since getting knee deep into a new adventure
Old 02-26-2013, 08:33 PM

If it was working before, then just image the current drive (copying it to the new SSD). You can select it as the boot drive in the BIOS or remove the original drive and put the new one in its place. Then boot. There should be nothing else to do, paths stay the same.

Darryl
Old 02-27-2013, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
If it was working before, then just image the current drive (copying it to the new SSD). You can select it as the boot drive in the BIOS or remove the original drive and put the new one in its place. Then boot. There should be nothing else to do, paths stay the same.

Darryl
If its the data migration I am lookin for I found that, but the ssd is not big enough to clone the original drive. I'm sure I can jump in the bios and change the boot drive tho....
Old 02-27-2013, 08:08 AM

I have installed and am now using a Crucial M4 256GB 6GB/sec SSD from a Velociraptor (10,000 RPM) HD for about a year now.
Here are my experiences:
Acronis would stop with errors when trying to clone to the SSD.
The only way I was able to clone was by ordering the Crucial SSD with the Data Transfer Kit.
In normal PT operations everything is clean and fast. But...when starting PT, everything is super fast until it comes to loading the paths or midi support, where it pauses for nearly one full minute, then proceeds to finish the complete load of PT. I don't consider it a problem, since PT works fine after it loads.
Just odd behavior.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul El View Post
If its the data migration I am lookin for I found that, but the ssd is not big enough to clone the original drive. I'm sure I can jump in the bios and change the boot drive tho....
I got around this using Acronis to write an Image to another back up drive, then restoring to the SSD. All is well.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-27-2013, 09:00 AM

The huge advantage of using SSDs, specially in the HD world are, based on my own experience:

- Disk Cache at supersonic speed, including session at higher sample rate
- Amazing speed when loading VI libraries, like Toontrack or SSD
- Awesome performance when mixing.

For cloning, try the Clonezilla, free, and also use the new exFAT partition format, it will work in Windows (from 7) and in MAC OSX (from Lion) natively in both plattforms, so you can record on this disk, without installing any extra software

Hope this help.
http://felipousismix.wix.com/felipousismix

Open Core Mac Pro OSX Ventura | ProTools HD 2023.x | Merging HAPI ADA8 | UAD Quad PCIe | Kali IN-8 | Presonus Temblor 10 | Softube, SSL, Universal Audio, Slate Digital, McDSP, Fabfilter, Plugin Alliance among other plugins