Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2006, 11:33 AM

Default Mac??? what kind???

Hey All...
I currently have a 2.13 Ghz Athalon processor in my HP PC. 2 GB ram and a 160 GB Hdd. Running Windows XP. I have been wanting to switch over to a Mac for a while now. I am pretty well versed in most things PC but not for Macs. Can someone give me some recomendations on what type of Mac I could get that would be atleast as powerful as my PC(I realize that it aint that powerful). I cannot afford a $3000.00 Mac. And I do not want to go the refurbished route either.
Also can I use my PC flatscreen monitor on a MAc? Thanks
640GB(Mac) 640GB(Windows 7) 1TB(Audio Drive)
Digi-002 Factory and M-box
LE 8.0.3 (Mac) 8.0.3 (PC)
Old 09-29-2006, 11:50 AM

Default Re: Mac??? what kind???

Why don't you want to go the refurb route? I've owned 2 refurbed Macs, and they were just like brand new.

What kind of budget are you working with? I would look at the new Core2 iMacs, since that would probably cover most everything. With that computer, you could attach your PC's monitor to get an extended desktop to work with.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:01 PM

I guess I dont want to go the refurbished route cause I have a thing about buying something that is used. And I did look into the prices a little a few months ago and for "Used" I didnt really see that the prices were that much cheaper. I could be wrong on that tho. And I guess if Im gonna spend $1000.00 to $1500.00 I would like "New".
That is good that I can reuse my PC monitor for a MAC. Because I dont want to spend say $1500.00 on a New Mac and then have to spend an extra $500.00-$1000.00 on a monitor.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:55 PM

look in to the mac mini. very cost effective machines. max out the ram.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:48 PM

Hmmmm...I think I like that mac Mini. But can someone who uses one of those for Pro Tools give me some info on how well it works? Will the larger 1,83 ghz be good enough to run PT? and in relation to my setup...is it as powerful? I thought I remember a friend telling me once that 2 gb of ram on a Mac is like equal to 3-4 gb on a PC. Is it the same for the processor? Cause Im running a 2.13 ghz now?
Are there any drawbacks to the mini? what functions of a normal computer is it missing? what types of compromises would I have to make?
Old 09-29-2006, 07:58 PM

referbs from Apple:\
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...t9FXJ5jPVycUJA

come w/ full warranty

what type of sessions do you run? (track count, work w/ picture)
do you use soft synths?

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 09-29-2006, 11:10 PM

Well I normally get to around 16-24 tracks with just 1-4 plugins on each track (not all tracks). I dont do soft synth. But I do use dr-008 and Drumkit from Hell for drum samples. And no video. But I dont want to be limited too much. I would like to have the option of using 32 tracks if I ever need it. If I get this miniMac (the larger one) I would only use it for Pro Tools and keep my PC for games and internet...
Old 09-29-2006, 11:10 PM

Pony up for the PowerMac or the Mac Pro. You'll thank yourself down the road. I understand the "new" thing. You don't want some dude's finger grease on the keyboard and cat hair lodged in the CPU fans. Apple's refurbs are not like buying something off eBay or Craig's List. Refurb is pretty much as good as new with the Applecare (which you can buy up to one year after computer purchase). It comes all wrapped nice and pro in its proper box. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they throw in a new keyboard and mouse so you can have the Xmas morning feeling when you peel the plastic film off. No dude grease.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:23 PM

Why do the mac pro's seem to be $2499.00 and up and the mac mini (which seems to have just about everything that the $2499.00 mac pro has) come in at $799.00 or so? Will I be limited with the mac mini? I only plan on running Pro Tools and maybe a few games. Is the mac mini capable of connecting to the internet?
Another thing...I had heard that Mac memory is not the same as PC memory. That it is stronger. something like 1GB of mac memory is equal to 2GB PC memory. Is this true? And how does say the 2.4 mac dual processor stack up to my 2.13 athalon single core PC prosessor?
Is it also true that Macs dont need virus protection or spyware protection?
If someone knowlegable in macs and PC's could look at what I run now on my PC and tell me what the exact equivilant is power for power in a Mac...Id appreciate it.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Why do the mac pro's seem to be $2499.00 and up and the mac mini (which seems to have just about everything that the $2499.00 mac pro has) come in at $799.00 or so? Will I be limited with the mac mini? I only plan on running Pro Tools and maybe a few games. Is the mac mini capable of connecting to the internet?

Mac mini's great. Yes, it can connect to the Internet. If you need to dial into the net, you'd need the optional modem. Macs don't include a modem standard anymore, they're all equipped with Ethernet and most come standard with wireless.

The Mac Pro is a whole bunch more capable than the Mac mini, in every way. More than twice as powerful CPU, much more room for expanding RAM, hard drives, video, PCI-e addon cards.

Quote:

Another thing...I had heard that Mac memory is not the same as PC memory. That it is stronger. something like 1GB of mac memory is equal to 2GB PC memory. Is this true? And how does say the 2.4 mac dual processor stack up to my 2.13 athalon single core PC prosessor?

That's almost 100% incorrect. Mac memory isn't very special, though the Mac Pro uses a type of memory more commonly used in servers than in PC's.

Quote:

Is it also true that Macs dont need virus protection or spyware protection?

That's pretty true.

Quote:

If someone knowlegable in macs and PC's could look at what I run now on my PC and tell me what the exact equivilant is power for power in a Mac...Id appreciate it.
Any current Mac model is way more powerful than your Athlon.