Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2002, 11:16 AM

Default Purpose of lean extension set

I'm curious about the purpose of the lean extension set for PTF. I've recently added 512 MB of RAM and wonder whether I know might add some extensions to the set I use to run PTF without introducing any problems.

Any ideas?

John Link
Old 04-27-2002, 02:39 PM

Default Re: Purpose of lean extension set

John, the reasons for a lean ext. set are:

1. To avoid conflicts between exts that don't play nice with each other and
2. To help speed up the system by eliminating uneccessary drivers.

Extension conflicts can be a real nightmare to troubleshoot because sometimes you can have a three-way conflict, that is three that are fine with each other but put them all together and they fight. A program like Conflict Catcher or Extension Overload can help you find what does what and which ones conflict. The most common behavior problems are hangs, freezes and system errors. My general rule is when in doubt, turn it off. If the system needs something it will tell you with an alert box. The hard part is figuring out exactly what it needs. I also label my extension folder contents whenever installing new software. This way you can tell exactly what was installed in case you have trouble. BTW when you install software any extensions will be added to all your ext. manager sets so watch out.

Hope this helps. Back to yard work. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 04-27-2002, 04:49 PM

Thanks for the info.

In an attempt to make my extension set as lean as possible I made a copy of the Mac OS Base set and then turned on 3 Digidesign extensions, the iMic extension (or is it a control panel?), 2 OMS extensions, the waveslib extension and the Restoration Lib (needed by my Waves demo plug-ins), a sound extension (or is it a control panel?) and the USB OMS MIDI driver extension. I was able to run PTF with that set just fine. Then I went to the Extensions Manager Preferences folder, made a copy of that lean exension set, and then locked the copy. I then launched Internet Explorer and it installed 25 or so extensions, not only into my active lean set, but also into the locked copy! How am I supposed to manage extensions if that sort of thing goes on? Do I have to make a copy of the lean set and save it in a folder other than the Extensions Manager Preferences folder? This all seems very strange to me.

John Link
Old 04-28-2002, 10:15 AM

Quote:
I then launched Internet Explorer and it installed 25 or so extensions, not only into my active lean
set, but also into the locked copy! How am I supposed to manage extensions if that sort of thing goes on?
I see you've been zapped by the evil emperor Gates. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Gotta love that M$.

This is why I label my sets. After you install go in there ( to your PTF set) and turn off any that aren't labelled. I also take a peek in there when I do my weekly sytem maint. You do run your utilities (DFA,Diskwarrior,Norton,DFA) on a regular basis, right? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-28-2002, 02:38 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by labelling your sets.

And yes, I do run Norton Utilities (Disk Doctor and Optimize (defrag)) every week, followed by a backup. But I bet plenty of you out there haven't done that for months!

John Link
Old 04-28-2002, 03:17 PM

Correction: Disk Doctor, backup, THEN Speed Disk.

John Link
Old 04-28-2002, 05:01 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by labelling your sets.
Sorry, I probably should have been more specific.

After you restart with your PTF set, go to the system folder, open the extensions folder, select all and label. This way when you go back to check it's obvious which ones are new because they won't be labeled.

I always run Disk First Aid first and last. Norton is good but Diskwarrior does directory stuff that Norton doesn't. It has found and fixed problems that Norton couldn't find let alone fix. If your directories get hosed your looking at a re-format & loss of everything on the drive.
Old 11-07-2023, 09:47 AM
SPAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Brane View Post
Sorry, I probably should have been more specific.

After you restart with your PTF set, go to the system folder, open the extensions folder, select all and label. This way when you go back to check it's obvious which ones are new because they won't be labeled.

I always run Disk First Aid first and last. Norton is good but Diskwarrior does directory stuff that Norton doesn't. I encountered an informative article that focuses on modern strategies for conflict management in virtual teams. In an era where Cmaconsulting https://cmaconsulting.com.au/strateg...virtual-teams/ remote work is becoming increasingly prevalent, this article provides insights into the challenges faced and practical solutions for effective conflict resolution. It highlights the importance of proactive communication, utilizing technology for conflict tracking, and fostering a culture of empathy and understanding in virtual team dynamics. It has found and fixed problems that Norton couldn't find let alone fix. If your directories get hosed your looking at a re-format & loss of everything on the drive.

Thank you very much for sharing, I will definitely check out the material to learn more. I hope it will be useful to me.