Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2013, 04:50 PM

Default Re: SSD and PT

Lots of good information here for well versed user. Slowly growing out of control, let me see if I can put this together... Using the admins advice, obtain clonzilla free, using an efat partition clone the drive in an SSD. Am I gettin that right? If this is the case, I have burned a disc image of clonezilla and dont understand how to get from here.....If thats incorrect well then, lets have another beer and act like I never said anything lol... I will guarantee you all, when this is over I will have more experience then I did going in thats for sure lol
Old 02-27-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul El View Post
Lots of good information here for well versed user. Slowly growing out of control, let me see if I can put this together... Using the admins advice, obtain clonzilla free, using an efat partition clone the drive in an SSD. Am I gettin that right? If this is the case, I have burned a disc image of clonezilla and dont understand how to get from here.....If thats incorrect well then, lets have another beer and act like I never said anything lol... I will guarantee you all, when this is over I will have more experience then I did going in thats for sure lol
I'm sensing a bit of confusion with you still. Let me boil it down to the basics. Using either Acronis (what I and others here use) OR Clonezilla (have not used), you want to make a CLONE of your successfully working OS/PT install drive to another drive...SSD or other...not a BACKUP per se. A Clone is the way to have a working boot record image of your working OS/PT drive. Acronis has a "Clone" option and I assume Clonezilla does as well. You will then have two OS drives to boot into....on a PC that choice is usually made at the BIOS screen level where you will swap the boot order OR you can disconnect your original OS/PT drive and put it away for safe keeping. Hope this helps.

Wilson Dyer MPSE
Sound Supervisor: NCIS Los Angeles, CBS Television
Old 02-28-2013, 03:50 PM

Yes, that pretty much sums up what I believe is supposed to happen. Now we are all on the same page. What I dont understand is how to clone the drive, like... what is the process, if Acronis is what u use, then what were the staeps u took? Using this clonezilla, It seems I have to know exactly what I want, not sure if Acronis is the same way but....Here I am with Clonezilla written on a disc with no Read Me's or any type of puzzle piece to match up to the next step. The first thing I'm going to do now is search cloning a drive and see what happens, thank you all for the help, it would seem that people care about the community, thats awesome, thx.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul El View Post
Yes, that pretty much sums up what I believe is supposed to happen. Now we are all on the same page. What I dont understand is how to clone the drive, like... what is the process, if Acronis is what u use, then what were the staeps u took? Using this clonezilla, It seems I have to know exactly what I want, not sure if Acronis is the same way but....Here I am with Clonezilla written on a disc with no Read Me's or any type of puzzle piece to match up to the next step. The first thing I'm going to do now is search cloning a drive and see what happens, thank you all for the help, it would seem that people care about the community, thats awesome, thx.
In Acronis 2012 and probly 2013 the "Clone" function/option is in the "Tools and Utilities" tab and then "Clone Disk" which will guide the user thru the rest of the process. I can only assume Clonezilla has something similar. Use the Help function of the app and/or Google it. We can only point you in the right direction before you have to be on your own.

Wilson Dyer MPSE
Sound Supervisor: NCIS Los Angeles, CBS Television
Old 03-05-2013, 03:58 AM

Im getting the impression you cannot have both the old hd and new SSD installed in the same cpu due to lack of space. Because of this you dont understand how to clone your drive , and your original drive exceeds the storage capability of the new SSDs.

I canot help with the technical aspect of things but it seems that you will have to decide what is most important and transfer that to the SSD everything else will have to go on a additional drive be it internal or external.

I have never tried but isnt there sometime a issue when using migration to include the operating system. or does the operating system go with it.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:11 AM

2 things to consider, when cloning, if you have 1 of the 2 drives on a USB port, you will be less likely to goof and clone in the wrong direction(yes, I did that). Also, sometimes cloning won't work if you are trying to clone, say a 500GB spinner to a 256GB SSD, even if the spinner is only using less than 256GB. The solution there is to save a drive image of the spinner, and restore the USB using the image(which WILL fit the smaller drive).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-06-2013, 08:49 PM

Clonezilla is a great program in runs on a bootable Linux CD, It's Free and work fantasic. Clonezilla was recommended to me by my friend at Cal Poly Tech.
I have been using it for over 4 years and have never experienced any problems and I can tell you how many times it has saved my life as well as the session. I cannot say enough good things about it. I had tried Acronis at first and had numerous problems. I am sure it is a fine program I have just found my best results with Clonezilla.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:21 AM

I have been using SSD system drive with PT 10 with no problems on my system with a USB RME UFX for about a year now.
Installed the same Crucial 256GB SSD (system drive) on our larger studio system with an HD Native card & 3 96 I/O's. On small sessions everything is cool, but with larger sessions with 12-18 tracks or more, periodic bursts of hiss appear on the rightmost tracks in the mix window, including master faders & of course are audible on the monitors. Has anyone out there had this experience, & if so, how did you fix it outside of removing the SSD & putting the Veloceraptor HD back?

Thanks...
Old 03-08-2013, 09:53 AM

Default SSD and PT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cplaza View Post
I have been using SSD system drive with PT 10 with no problems on my system with a USB RME UFX for about a year now.
Installed the same Crucial 256GB SSD (system drive) on our larger studio system with an HD Native card & 3 96 I/O's. On small sessions everything is cool, but with larger sessions with 12-18 tracks or more, periodic bursts of hiss appear on the rightmost tracks in the mix window, including master faders & of course are audible on the monitors. Has anyone out there had this experience, & if so, how did you fix it outside of removing the SSD & putting the Veloceraptor HD back?

Thanks...
i am not sure why this is being piled onto an already very confused thread. How about starting your own new thread for your problem, include a Sandra report and a clear description of the uses of all the drives in the system (where's are sessions and VI samples stored?). what are all the playback engine settings and what plugins in use in a session?