Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2006, 04:53 PM

Default kick drum leakage! help

I'm mixing a band and have huge problems with the kick drum..
The kick drum have a leakage from the snare and hats, wich i find impossible to delete.
I'm not bad at gating, but its impossible toget a good kick sound cause of the hat.
If i leave the leakage there, it will make the mix muddy and uncontrolled..

one idea is to cut out one kickdrum hit and paste it to all the other hits, but it should be a
easier way to do this!
Old 05-20-2006, 05:38 PM

Default Re: kick drum leakage! help

Use samples. Download a demo of drumagog and replace each hit with a sample, or mix it in to taste.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:52 PM

Better mic'n technique first off. Try using a tunnel if you do not have a HOLE to put the mic it. The tunnel (blanket) will allow some coverage. Test a run through before you make the final "Let's go" and see that you are getting the transients. Bleed can be good, but isolation is always better. How large is the room? Make sure that you are not gettin flutter off the wall that is causing the mic to pick up those reflections mainly. Move the kit to a different area and try that. Soundreplace with a great kick sample.

Good luck.

Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 05-20-2006, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Better mic'n technique first off. Try using a tunnel if you do not have a HOLE to put the mic it. The tunnel (blanket) will allow some coverage. Test a run through before you make the final "Let's go" and see that you are getting the transients. Bleed can be good, but isolation is always better. How large is the room? Make sure that you are not gettin flutter off the wall that is causing the mic to pick up those reflections mainly. Move the kit to a different area and try that. Soundreplace with a great kick sample.

Good luck.

Doc
I second this! How did you record the kick in the first place? Kick bleed generally isn't something i encounter as a problem - there's some tom mics that can get away on ya. More detail.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Good luck.

Doc
I second this!
i third it. samples have there place but are not the answer for everything.

if you have to keep working with those track, you can try gating with a side chain EQ so you dont get false opensing and you dont have to gate so hard. strip silence is very usfull aswell.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:23 AM

Quote:
The kick drum have a leakage from the snare and hats
Well, if you're now in the mixing stage, you'll have to gate or sample replace as suggested above. What mic and placement did you use? Maybe the snare is too loud? What type of set/style of music? Unless it's a jazz set, cutting a hole in the front head and micing inside works great. Use some dampening inside the kik so that other drums don't resonate the kik too much. Try hanging some foam between the snare/hat and the kik, perhaps taping it along the the bottom snare rim. There will always be some amount of bleed, but it should be minimal if the drum is set up properly and a good mic is inside. I like an AKG D112. Some amout of bleed can help make the drum mix sound natural. Getting great drum sounds is trickey!!!
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 05-21-2006, 10:48 AM

Try this:
  1. Copy the kick drum track, and name it "Kick Gate Trigger".
  2. Shift the Kick Gate Trigger earlier in the session by about 80 samples or so (you may have to cut some off the from of the region if it starts from the beginning)
  3. Put a low pass EQ on the Kick Gate Trigger track, and tweak it so the snare/hat bleed isn't as prominent
  4. set the output of the Kick Gate Trigger track to an available bus
  5. insert a gate on the regular kick track
  6. Set the key input of the gate to be the bus you selected in step 4
  7. Turn on the key input on the gate plugin
  8. tweak all parameters until you get the desired results (Kick Gate Trigger triggering only the Kick hits)

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 05-21-2006, 12:00 PM

tab to transient, paste a kick sample

If nothing else, notch filters can help minimize the bleed - but at what cost?
Old 05-21-2006, 02:25 PM

First off, i totally agree with you guys on how to record the kick better..
but in my case, the drumset was recorded in another location without me beeing the tech.
I can use a sample from DFHS and mix it in, but that will take ages to implement. (6 songs even)
Unless there is an easy way to get those samples to match the original kick.

Interesting suggestion sqkguitar, i'll try that out.

I dont mind some bleed from the kick, but as it is now when i try to get that 'click', the snare and
the hat get way to colored by the kick eq.
Old 05-21-2006, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Interesting suggestion sqkguitar, might try that out.
but what do you mean by shifting at 2)?
What I mean by shifting is to move the Kick Gate Trigger track 80 samples earlier in the session. You can do this in a number of ways. Here's one:
  • Select the whole track; Kick Gate Trigger
  • set the grid to Samples
  • set the grid resolution to be 10 samples
  • nudge the selection to the left (earlier in time) by 80 samples (8 grid items)

You can also just use the grabber tool to slide it backwards in the session.

Also, keep in mind that this technique uses two of the valuable limited 32 voices. You will most likely want to record the output to another audio track, and then deactivate the original and the trigger copy.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12