How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 10-31-2018, 04:47 PM

Default Re: HELP! Mackie Profx12 on pro tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by coleeddy View Post
But I Cant plug my microphone into the mixer and record. check your messages I sent you a message. I need to talk to some one over the phone like you that kinda has an idea about thiss
I am not dealing with PMs on calling you on the phone. You need to RTFM for your mixer. It a 2x2 interface, it has no way to record an individual mic. It lets you record the mixed down 2x stereo output. This is basic basic beginner stuff that you need to sort out, and nothing to do with Pro Tools.
Old 10-31-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I am not dealing with PMs on calling you on the phone. You need to RTFM for your mixer. It a 2x2 interface, it has no way to record an individual mic. It lets you record the mixed down 2x stereo output. This is basic basic beginner stuff that you need to sort out, and nothing to do with Pro Tools.
It doesnt say anything in the god damn about this ****. thats why I came here. if its basic beginner stuff then get the **** on somewhere
Old 10-31-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
It doesnt say anything in the god damn about this ****. thats why I came here. if its basic beginner stuff then get the **** on somewhere
I'll bet the manual tells you exactly what to do to get signal out on the USB. Otherwise it's basic Pro Tools how to record an audio track stuff. If you don't know that start with a beginner's tutorial on YouTube. Mackie always have schematic diagrams for their mixers in their documentation that will identify the 2x2 USB out signal path.... which should make clear to you what bus/signal path you need to drive stuff on in the mixer to get to that interface output.
Old 10-31-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I'll bet the manual tells you exactly what to do to get signal out on the USB. Otherwise it's basic Pro Tools how to record an audio track stuff. If you don't know that start with a beginner's tutorial on YouTube. Mackie always have schematic diagrams for their mixers in their documentation that will identify the 2x2 USB out signal path.... which should make clear to you what bus/signal path you need to drive stuff on in the mixer to get to that interface output.
So if I want to record any kind of vocals through a microphone, I will have to do it through a seperate audio interface, correct?
Old 10-31-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
So if I want to record any kind of vocals through a microphone, I will have to do it through a seperate audio interface, correct?
If you want to record individual input you do. If you can live with recording the mix down you can use the mixer. If you have nothing else going into the mixer then you can make all the mix that one mic and record the main L/R out, but that's it.

Mixers like this are intended for small gigs, rehearsals, practice etc. they are not intended to be recoding interfaces. If you want a recording interface there are literally hundreds to choose from.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:27 PM

I found this thread very interesting since I am having the same problem. In a different thread a couple of years ago, you had a different answer regarding an earlier version of Pro Tools. (http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t...profx12&page=3). You also helped the poster solve the problem offline.

The Mackie ProFX12 is absolutely made for recording- probably just the two channels- else why would it come with a USB and a DAW? It is sold with a DAW called Tracktion, so clearly it has the ability to record at least two channels.

The Mackie shows up on ProTools as two different audio devices, both called USB Audio CODEC.

Your previous answer was that you have to create an aggregate audio device consisting of Built-in Output and "USB Audio CODEC 2 in/0 out" (not sure if you meant to put the 0 in there) then then select that as the playback engine in Pro Tools.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:42 PM

This is my setup using speakers connected to the interface and I have successfully recorded two channels - 1 guitar and one voice track- using channels 1 and 2 on the interface. I have the output set up through the interface- one speaker at the moment. all I'd have to do is plug the second speaker into the Mackie and both would work. I could also use headphones by plugging the headphones into the Mackie.