Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2011, 07:43 AM

Default ProTools 9.0.2 and Extra Voices

I just upgraded to ProTools 9.0.2. I run a small HD1 system on an Intel Power Mac. According to the ProTools 9 upgrade literature, a Protools HD1 system at 44.1/48 should have 96 voices available. Before the upgrade from ProTools 8.1, sessions had 48 voices and after the upgrade, a new session still has only 48 voices. Even the Playback Engine only give me the option of 48 voices. Did I misunderstand the upgrade literature? How do I get the other voices? This was the sole purpose for buying 9.0.2 at this time. Thank you.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:12 AM

Default Re: ProTools 9.0.2 and Extra Voices

What you gotta understand is.....
Old 03-23-2011, 10:31 AM

Create a blank session @ 48k, add 96 MONO tracks and see if they all have a voice.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:17 AM

Never Mind. Yes I created new sessions and nothing changed. I've learned that the extra voices are only available for those who are running native. For those of us who spent thousands of dollars for the Digi core cards and such, we don't get any extra voices. So buyer beware!
Old 03-24-2011, 08:21 AM

Now, what if I take the time and tell you that I am running 96 voices on my HD1 Intel Mac with Protools 8.1? How would that make you feel?
Old 03-24-2011, 10:39 AM

Maybe you're getting a hard time here because you just need to RTFM

So, user BEWARE!

kasper

page 65 -

To change the Number of Voices and DSP to allocate for voicing:
1 Choose Setup > Playback Engine.
2 Select the number of voices and DSPs to allo- cate for voicing by selecting a value from the Number of Voices pop-up menu as follows:
• Select minimum voice numbers if you are using high-bandwidth PCI or PCIe cards (such as video capture cards) along with your Pro Tools|HD cards. These settings place the lightest processing load on each allocated DSP chip, but generally require more DSP chips be dedicated to voicing and mixing (leaving fewer available for plug-ins).
• Select medium voice numbers when your Pro Tools|HD cards are in an expansion chassis, or when you are using other PCI or PCIe cards along with Pro Tools|HD cards. These settings generally provide an opti- mum balance between number of chips needed for voicing, and the processing load placed on each.
• Select higher voice numbers when your Pro Tools|HD cards are the only PCI or PCIe cards in your computer, or when you are using an expansion chassis to run higher track counts (such as 64 tracks at 96 kHz) and you want more voices per DSP (such as 16 voices per DSP at 96 kHz). These settings use fewer DSP chips for mixing (leaving more available for plug-ins) but place the highest processing load on each.
3 Click OK.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:51 PM

I did go into the Playback engine. Nothing above 48 voices are available.