Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 07-01-2020, 08:36 PM

Default Strange error message trying to start Pro Tools First

Hi, I am trying to run Pro Tools First on my HPZ2 Tower G4 Workstation running Windows 10 Pro. It is 64 bit with 16 GB RAM.
I am getting this error message while pro Tools First is loading and it prevents it from starting.

Could not complete your request because Assertion in "E:\ Code\ 238949\ ProTools\ AAE\ Source\ AAX\ CFicAAXWidget.cpp", line 994.

My E:\ drive is my disk drive. I get the message whether there is a disk in or not.
Please advise.Thanks!
- Jeanne
Old 07-01-2020, 10:20 PM

Default Re: Strange error message trying to start Pro Tools First

Hi welcome to DUC.

Please take time to search for know issues before starting yet another thread about frequently reported stuff. And yes this horrible very cryptic error message is stupid and reflects just engineering/product management laziness on Avid's part...

But this has been answered hundreds of times on DUC, the "strange" meaning has been explained many times as well, by me and others, the assert message is not referring to your E drive... its referring to the E drive path where the Pro Tools source code was when Pro Tools was built.

Had you googled the error you would have found this KB article https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...t-cpp-line-822

But should trying addressing the playback engine issue does not fix this, come back here describing what you tried/what happened. And include info on what exact audio interface you have and what exact driver you have installed for it... I personally would not use any interface that does not have a native ASIO driver, and you want your PC set up so only Pro Tools is using that interface and Windows and other apps all use a separate Windows sound device ie. your PC built in sound card.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 07-01-2020 at 10:32 PM.