Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2008, 10:10 AM

Default Thread to vent about Waves authorization horrors...

OK, I really like a lot of Waves plug-ins and use them often. I'm also cool with the way WUP is constructed these days.

The elaborate dance required to keep Waves software authorized every time there's an update, however, is constantly turning my life upside down and filling me with anxiety. I'm a reasonably technically savvy guy. I don't know why they have to make things so complicated, involved, and time consuming. For me, the process is always fraught with worry.

Now, they've gone and changed everything once again. The new process now resembles iLok authorization for other plug-ins, but as you'd expect, there are additional curve balls, sliders, sinkers, spit balls, etc. If you want to use your Waves software, by gum, you're going to have to pass the test of fire and walk over the hot coals.

Anybody considering upgrading to V6 had better go spend some time at www.wavesupport.net. FWIW, Waves doesn't make it obvious that everything has once again changed, and you need to study up. If you don't, though, you're going to be pulling your hair out.

Oh well, I'm about halfway through the process right now. I allocated a day to get this straightened out. It would be interesting to hook a blood pressure and heart rate monitor up to folks as they update their Waves software, and see what the readings would be.

Wish me luck.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:53 AM

Default Re: Thread to vent about Waves authorization horrors...

I couldn't agree with you more. 5.9.7 was a real pain for me. I had to call Waves twice to get my SSL bundle running. Not enough to have the actual license on my iLok - no, no, no...naturally I needed the 5.9.7 enabler license as well. I'm 34, and I'm too old for this.

I have updated the SSL to v6 on my iLok and Waves account, but I'm afraid to start installing and authorizing my G5.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:54 AM

Hi,

Yes I'm half way through mine as well. I decided to demo the whole mercury bundle V6 just so i could test all the plugs again and see what's working good etc. My only problem now is you have a 30 instantiations limit with the demo!! so very soon i'm going to have to uninstall the mercury demo and revert back to what i own.

I have upgraded some of my products to V6 and got WUP at the same time! Using the new upgrade calculator at my account i got a good deal on upgrading which was far cheaper than just renewing the WUP!!

So my new upgrade bundle v6 has been deposited at ilok.com waiting to be transfered to my ilok

I have also renewed the WUP on my SSL bundle to complete all my plugs to V6 versions.

And my SSL bundle V6 is also at ilok.com waiting to be downloaded. All good so far, just download my new auths and away i go...

The SSL WUP upgrade amount is redeemable against a new Waves purchase, and i am going to purchase Max Volume? and i have already started using it on sessions as part of the mercury demo!! Only i can't actually purchase Max Volume until i get the SSL WUP credit coupon/code to get the reduction on the Max Volume purchase.

So hopefully Waves will soon send me the SSL WUP credit coupon and i'll be able to purchase max volume before the mercury demo runs out i probably have about another 5 instantiations left of some of the plugs

All in All quite a good outcome so far! i didn't really want to spend $$ but i have upgraded to a bigger bundle! got wup for over a year got an extra SSL plug and bought Max Volume native plugin and all for $800!!

I did of course get a great discount from mine and everyone's favorite Waves dealer Thanks MR D

If you haven't found a good waves dealer yet! just e-mail me and i'll put you in touch with one. save$$$$$

Chris

For those who haven't looked at the personal upgrade paths yet! i would, it saved me loads!! check it out, find the best deal online and then ask your dealer to beat that price!! DETAILS BELOW.....

Personalized Upgrades
Waves is pleased to introduce our new Personalized Upgrades program.
The Personalized Upgrades program allows you to upgrade single products or any combination of your products: bundles and plug-ins, Native and TDM.

Personalized Upgrades display all available upgrade options and upgrade prices.

Your upgrade will always be the latest version.
Please visit our Tech Specs page to ensure that the latest version is compatible with your setup.
Your previous products' license will be removed from your iLok.

Upgrades are available online or at your local dealer.

A full year of Waves Update Plan coverage is included with all upgrades at no extra cost.

Upgrade Online
Please note: your previous products' authorizations will be removed from your iLok.
Access your Waves account.

Click the Upgrade link next to your product.

Select Buy Online, then click Submit.

Choose any combination of your products.
Why are my products grayed out?

Click the Get Upgrade Options button, located at the top-right corner.

Choose the product to which you want to upgrade to.

Click Buy Upgrade.

Complete the purchase pages.

Once purchase is complete, you will be prompted to provide your iLok.com account name. Click here for further instructions.
Upgrade through your dealer
Please note: your previous products' authorizations will be removed from your iLok.
Get the upgrade you want from your local dealer.

Access your Waves account.

Click the Upgrade link next to your product.

Select Register your product upgrade serial number, purchased from a Waves dealer, then click Submit.

Enter the upgrade code you have received from your dealer, then click Submit.

You will now be prompted to provide your iLok.com account name.
Click here for further instructions.

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:15 AM

I think what Waves needs to do is get some guinea pig folks who have no experience with the product, let them try to install it and manage their accounts, and see what trips them up (which will be just about everything ).

My feeling is that the people who are evaluating the Waves system must be the people who designed it and work with it every day. For them, I'm sure it seems totally obvious and a piece of cake.

Whenever a big change is made (like from version 5 to version 6), there are also going to be a lot of questions in peoples' minds between what has changed, and what remains the same. Confusion can be cumulative. If the complicated system was working correctly, it would be one thing, but it also appears that a lot of SNAFUS pop up. I've grappled with a number of them, myself.

I always wondered why Waves chose a radically different process from every one else when they moved to using the iLok. It's hard not to think that someone in charge over at Waves was thinking: "OK, how can we make this process more complicated for the end user?"

BTW, I finally did succeed in getting V6 installed. I think. Time will tell.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:36 PM

Guess Waves took Apple slogan "Think Different" too serious.

Waves knows how to build plugs. But they have NEVER been able to build a decent installer. What makes you think that they could figure out how to wrap a proper ilok around their plugs.

How difficult can it be to COPY 20/80 some ITEMS into one folder ???? Installing waves Diamond takes about 10 minutes and that from a disk image. That is like running a marathon in 16 hours.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:37 PM

Post deleted by Admin.
Posting of someone else's personal contact information on a public forum without their permission is a violation of their privacy.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:40 PM

I talked to waves support numerous times. They are nice. But if brain washed EVER had any meaning - then waves would apply. Robotic at best stupid at worst.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:55 PM

I spoke to waves support guy on friday, he suggested that I wait 2 weeks before upgrading my Mercury and SSL bundle.
I m going to need a brand new empty Ilok key just for those 2 bundles.They should provide a free Ilok to their user considering that the Ilok is going to be maxed up with those 2 and you can't use V6 without an Ilok.
At least get us some WuP credit
Old 07-21-2008, 10:59 PM

WAVES BLOWS!

stay away.

for real
Old 07-22-2008, 12:50 AM

My install went without a problem..except for a 5.x glitch that was letting me have full IR revs is now fixed so Im back to the IRlite....
whatever,Waves works and is great, the Rencomp and SSL G eq is a goto channel chain lot of vibe....for a plug

Ventura ,PT 2022.10, MacbookPro 13"[2020] M1 16G, Antelope Orion 32+ Gen3..SSL Sigma summing, SMART Comp C1LA, CharterOak EQP-1 Oceanway Audio HR4S monitors . SSL X-Rack w XR618 compressors, dbx 160x [2]