Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 10-21-2010, 09:40 PM

Default How's 8.1 cs2 running for you?

I just wanted to see how it was working for everyone.

Overall, it has seemed to be worse for me than 8.1 cs1. I have seen 3 really weird things since updating (yesterday). In the first two items, a restart of Pro Tools fixed it.

1. Selection was offset by a couple measures. I would try to select a measure and it would make a selection a few measures off to the right of where I was selecting instead of where my cursor was.

2. On another session, I had "Link Timeline and Edit Selection" on and my playback was starting some totally different place. I turned "Link Timeline and Edit Selection" off and hit playback and it was playing back from the same place, but it was neither the edit selection or the time selection spot. I turned on Dynamic Transport (which I never use) and it was showing the playback icon at the spot it kept playing from in the ruler bar, but then I couldn't get it to play back from other spots.

3. Today I was making an edit with Elastic audio (Polyphonic Mode) and Pro Tools crashed harder than I have ever seen it crash. It froze up the Mac. I restarted and then Pro Tools wouldn't open. The icon would just bounce for a very long period of time, but the window that normally shows Pro Tools loading wouldn't show up. I restarted again and same thing. I trashed all possible preferences and then Pro Tools launched.

Since trashing preferences tonight, the last little bit has been running fine. I'll have to report back again later if things keep going bad. It could just be that my preferences were messed up. Perhaps everyone should make sure you trash preferences when you update. I'll also be checking the status on all my plug-ins again when I get a chance. I'm just curious how it's working for everyone else.
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 10-22-2010, 12:31 AM
Quiet Art Ltd.

Default Re: How's 8.1 cs2 running for you?

First thing to do after upgrading is to fix perms.

Check out WaveRider + Defaulter:
QuietArt.co.nz

Catchin' SYNC app
Old 10-22-2010, 12:55 AM

Did a fair amount of work in 8.1cs2 today, no crashes so far. Doesn't really seem any different. I'm still getting the graphic corruption bugs on pan windows, etc. If I drag a selection and have 'track selection follow edit selection' many times not all tracks 'highlight' graphically, even though they're included in the selection.

I'm learning to live with these, as it's clear PT is going to live with them from now on, I don't think any effort at all is being made to clean up these graphic glitches from the UI.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:25 AM

Running well here. But I always ditch the pref's before any upgrade and repair permissions right after.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:38 AM

Well, I had another nasty crash this morning from simply playing back an instrument track. I'm also getting lots of Access Violations. I repaired permissions, but I still get Access violations many times when I fit tracks to the window. It seems to happen especially when I use Stylus RMX and Kontakt 4. I'll check for updates on those (as well as all the rest of my plug-ins) and see if there are any improvements.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:21 AM

So far it feels good. I have given up (again!!!!) on midi (useless!!!) in ProTools, so I don't know about that......
Old 10-23-2010, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
I'm also getting lots of Access Violations.
Hi,

I'm having problems with access violation! its related to the plugin mapping on my control surface i think!! about 2-3 times a day i'll open a plugin and get the message "an access violation has occurred" then half of the control surface stops functioning and i have to re-boot.

It seems mostly Waves plugs i'm opening when this happens! but not exclusively! but a waves plug has usually recently been open when this happens.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club_Build A Tower top 20 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 Control 24 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:46 AM

any experiences with 8.1 cs2 on 10.5.8 ? I am thinking about upgrade to 8.1 cs2 and don't know 10.5.8 or 10.6.4 better choice.

RECORDING Studio: Mac Pro, OSX 10.6.8, PT HD 3 PCIe, Pro Tools 8.1.1,

MIX + MASTERING Room: MAC Pro, OSX 10.6.8, PT HD 3 PCIe, PT 8.1

3x 192 I/O, Digidesign PRE, UAD Octo, UAD Satellite Ultimate
Old 10-23-2010, 07:23 AM

8.1 is not qualified for 10.5 at all. It has to be on Snow Leopard on an Intel Mac.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

I'm having problems with access violation! its related to the plugin mapping on my control surface i think!! about 2-3 times a day i'll open a plugin and get the message "an access violation has occurred" then half of the control surface stops functioning and i have to re-boot.

It seems mostly Waves plugs i'm opening when this happens! but not exclusively! but a waves plug has usually recently been open when this happens.

Chris
I am still having serious problems. Pro Tools is having Access Violations at least 2-3 times every day now. It happened twice today while using Vocalign Pro. I am sooo slammed right now that I don't have time to go through all my plug-ins, but I will shortly. I wish I knew exactly what plug-in(s) was causing it.

I have lots of Waves plug-ins in my sessions too. Waves Platinum, SSL, CLA Compressors. Latest version from Waves (Installed it like 3 weeks ago). Maybe it is related to their latest update and CS2?