Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-20-2009, 02:56 PM

Default enuff is enuff...I'm sick of the crashing!

Im on a mac pro 2.66 quad 5 gb ram recording to a qualified HD. PTLE 8.0cs2 OS 10.5.7 All troubleshooting has been done, fresh installs, prefs trashed and all.

15-20 times a day I get crashes. No matter what I'm doing, idle or editing, recording or working with plugins. All plugins are up to date.

I had a session with no plugin and I still got a crash.

I got this upgrade in dec. It's May

HOW IS THIS NOT WORKING YET???!!!

I need to know how to post up the crash log so it can be looked at.

Digi WTF!!!!!
Old 05-20-2009, 03:19 PM

Default Re: enuff is enuff...I'm sick of the crashing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot lipps View Post
......I had a session with no plugin and I still got a crash......
Just asking but have you taken all the plug-ins out of the plug-in folder and tried a session? For me PTLE 8 with OSX 10.5 has been rock solid. Also how have you updated OSX? With the combo updates or through Software Update? Just curious.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:30 PM

Somethings awry. I had fresh Leopard install from disc. Brand new drive. PT8 from disc (no 3rd party plugins) and I get issues like the OP. For some people it's been peachy, for some it's hell. The discrepancy is enormous even with almost identical set-ups...

--------------------------------------------------

Why do people keep running over a string a dozen times with their vacuum cleaner, then reach down, pick it up, examine it, then put it down to give the vacuum one more chance?
Old 05-20-2009, 03:30 PM

Do you get the pop-up window with the log? Can you post (cut and paste) at least the bit from the thread that is crashing, that would give us a place to start.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:35 PM

Not necessarily anything to do with the problems you are getting, but you should not have updated to 10.5.7. It is not qualified yet. And whenever you do update you absolutely should D/L the COMBO updater from Apple. DO NOT use software update.

You also did not mention if you have completely checked the compatibility of every plugin...
Old 05-20-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flommer View Post
Not necessarily anything to do with the problems you are getting, but you should not have updated to 10.5.7. It is not qualified yet.
You sure about that?
Old 05-20-2009, 04:41 PM

Oh, I see... Surprised I missed that.. When did 10.5.7 get qualified?
Old 05-21-2009, 12:08 AM

Few days ago it got qualified. I test it since it came out, and it's a very good update, pro tools runs absolutely fine on it.
To the op: plugin compatibility first. Pro Tools is picky about this. Even if you don't use the incompatible plug in your session, it is able to cause you bad things.
5gb ram? So you are not using pairs? Are those rams the same brand and model?
What's in your autostart? Do you run other software paralell with pt?
firewire networking? bluetooth, airport?
Tamas Dragon
Old 05-21-2009, 04:36 PM

I tend to think it's plug-in issues also. They are what can vary from system to system more than anything else. It could also be a background task but I have Bluetooth and Airport on with my MacBook and have no issues. So I'd take all the plugs out of the Plug-In folder and try a session. If it works start adding plugs back in until you find out which one it is.

Also you don't mention what plugs you are using. If you are using 3rd party plugs, especially VI's, try putting them back in first. If one of those is the culprit (and it's up to date and compatible with OSX 10.5.7 and PTLE) make sure you have the playback engine using one less processor than what is available. You should probably try this anyways and see what happens.

Also fwiw you can get 5GB in pairs (2 x 2 GB and 2 x 512MB). I have 6.5 GB in pairs in my PowerMac G5 (2 x 2 GB 2 x 1GB 2 x 256 MB). The first 512 (2 x 256MB) was stock. I added 2 GB then found a great deal on another 4GB. I figured it was pointless to take any out since I still now have 2 empty slots.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot lipps View Post
Im on a mac pro 2.66 quad 5 gb ram recording to a qualified HD. PTLE 8.0cs2 OS 10.5.7 All troubleshooting has been done, fresh installs, prefs trashed and all.

15-20 times a day I get crashes. No matter what I'm doing, idle or editing, recording or working with plugins. All plugins are up to date.

I had a session with no plugin and I still got a crash.

I got this upgrade in dec. It's May

HOW IS THIS NOT WORKING YET???!!!

I need to know how to post up the crash log so it can be looked at.

Digi WTF!!!!!
give this a try, take out half the ram an and see what happens