Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2009, 05:39 PM

Default Re: Enuff Q: How about some tips!!!!

Panorama 5, It's the mutts...
Old 05-13-2010, 04:27 PM

Default Use Audio track as Notepad

Create a mono audio track. Make it small so it appears as a line between your other tracks. Create a region. Rename the region as a note to yourself. e.g. Guitar Rig 4 #32, Used SM57, Cmaj7 - or whatever. Now when you open a file you haven't seen for awhile you'll have floating notes reminding you of all the little things you did and the choices you made. Uses no CPU.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:05 AM

Default Re: Use Audio track as Notepad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxalot View Post
Create a mono audio track. Make it small so it appears as a line between your other tracks. Create a region. Rename the region as a note to yourself. e.g. Guitar Rig 4 #32, Used SM57, Cmaj7 - or whatever. Now when you open a file you haven't seen for awhile you'll have floating notes reminding you of all the little things you did and the choices you made. Uses no CPU.
I do this, but using an aux or MIDI track rather than an audio track. That way you don't use any voices either.

I also find it helpful to have such a track with regions that divide up songs into useful sections, labelled for instance V3.A2 for the second A-section of the third verse. Then if I want to select a section, or a number of contiguous sections to play or loop I just select those regions in the aux track and hit the space bar. This is substantially easier than using markers for certain kinds of work. You can also add notes to the regions on a section by section basis.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:58 AM

REAMPING GUITAR TRICK

Okay I first want to thank EVERYONE for making this thread. I've only been in PT for about a month so you can imagine what this resource is worth to me!!!

Okay this isn't a protools specific trick and it's not technically the same as re-amping out of your DAW but it's a great trick for instant reamping.

If you own a High Quality loop station such as the Boomerang or the Boss RC-50 you can come out of any A/B box and send your clean signal to the loop station and the other to whatever your recording through.

Now create a loop of the part that your wanting to record. You can play this back while dialing in any EQ/Effects Combination with your analog gear. You can also now run the same take through any amp/cab/mic combination that you might have available.

The only drawback to this is that it kind of has to be a same day re-amping but just to use it to dial in EQ an Effets is a big plus because obvioulsy it sounds better to capture what you want coming in that post editing. Also while it's looping you can audition many different Mics and Mic placements until you get exactly what you want. This can work for a vocal take as well although I would use this more for set up without killing up their voice.

Hope this is helpful to some people.

Thank You again to EVERYONE who has contributed to this post!!!
(2) Custom PCs w/Gigabyte Mother Board
Windows XP Service Pack 3 &
Windows 7
i5 Processor w/4GB DDR3 RAM
Western Digital 150G HD 10K RPM
Sea Gate 1.5TB HD 7200 RPM
Sea Gate 1TB HD 7200.12 RPM
Glyph 1TB External Drive 7200 RPM
M-Audio ProFire 26/26
Focusrite Pro 40 (Linked via Dig I/O)
Mackie Onyx 1640i
M-Audio Oxygen 61
Roland V-Drums TD9
Old 10-07-2010, 09:23 AM

greatest thread ever.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:43 PM

I've been getting a lot of mileage out of the ordinary, grey, sitting-by-itself-in-the-corner Trim plugin. Some uses that may have not occurred to everyone are as follows:

[Most uses mentioned require instantiation of a Trim plug-in with Gain automation enabled.]
  • Get around the fact that PT's fader is post-fader on every channel except Master by inserting Trim prior to other plug-ins and using Trim's gain automation rather than the channel's fader automation. So, for instance, you can control how hard a signal hits the input of a compressor without having to set up a separate aux channel for the compressor.
  • Get around the fact that PT's fader is post-fader on every channel except Master by inserting Trim prior to other plug-ins and using Trim's gain automation rather than the channel's fader automation. So, for instance, you can control how hard a signal hits the input of a compressor without having to set up a separate aux channel for the compressor.
  • Use a Trim plug-in on a channel for manual de-essing only. Then if you make changes in the volume (channel fader) automation for other reasons you still preserve your small-scale de-essing automation.
  • Similarly, use a Trim plug-in to manually even out a track or reduce local problems in the track with small scale changes (manual compression). Then use the channel fader for larger-picture dynamic changes.
  • Use a Trim plug-in to add rhythm enhancement to a track. I.e. suppose you have an acoustic guitar track that you wish had stronger accents on the 2 and 4 beats. Add a couple of dB of gain boost on the 2 and 4 on a Trim gain line. Then you are free to modify the volume fader without changing the accent structure.
  • Use a Trim plug-in (without gain automation) to set the level of your track so that the channel fader rests around zero where you retain sensitive control of gain rather than deeper down on the gain scale where slight fader movements result in large gain changes.

The one downside of using Trim gain automation rather than channel fader volume automation is that the channel fader volume automation can be modified with the yellow volume trim line. Unfortunately trim lines are not offered when modifying plug-in automation parameters.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:54 PM

Ever find a spot where shoving your fader all the way to the ceiling still isn't giving you enough gain, but for other reasons you don't want to trim up the whole track? E.g. you want to pull up the tail of a long bass note for sustain. Put a send on your track that goes to the same bus or output as the track output and set it to pre-fader. Now you can add volume where needed by automating the send in the problem areas and muting or zeroing it away from those areas.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:19 AM

Lots of helpful stuff in here!

http://www.dynamicproducer.com
Old 07-19-2011, 08:21 PM

Here is a HUGE one ... get your speakers off the meter bridge, do not turn them on their sides either. And don't put a computer monitor between your speakers ... the monitor should be below the stereo field of the speakers. These are words of wisdom from a world-class studio and speaker designer.

Bad monitoring is such a huge issue ... mixes not translating out of a studio after spending so much time on a track is a big ol bummer!

=)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nOk7Relg0g
Old 07-03-2013, 09:12 AM

Default Re: Use Audio track as Notepad

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
I do this, but using an aux or MIDI track rather than an audio track. That way you don't use any voices either.

I also find it helpful to have such a track with regions that divide up songs into useful sections, labelled for instance V3.A2 for the second A-section of the third verse. Then if I want to select a section, or a number of contiguous sections to play or loop I just select those regions in the aux track and hit the space bar. This is substantially easier than using markers for certain kinds of work. You can also add notes to the regions on a section by section basis.
I really don't see how that is easier than using memory locations - which can have comments too. Also, tracks can have comments.

Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
Pro Tools Ultimate (perpetual with active updates/support plan)
RME Fireface 802, Focusrite Clarett+ Octopre, Eleven Rack (ERXP)
Monitors: Yamaha MSP7 and Yamaha HS8S
Asus RoG Maximus Hero Z790 (in a 4U slidable rack mount! )
Intel Core i9-13900k 5.4 Ghz (16 cores / 32 threads)
128 GB RAM G.Skill DDR5 6000 MHz (4 modules 32GB each)
Boot disk: Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2TB
Media disks: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2TB in RAID 0 for current work, 2 x Seagate Exos X20 20TB mirrored for archive and backup
Video: PNY/Nvidia RTX 3080 TI with a single 4K display Dell U3223QE 32''