Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2013, 08:09 PM

Default Multiple EQ Setting for Separate Clips on Same Track?

I have been trying to find the answer for almost an hour now and am not really getting anywhere. My apologies, as I am sure this is a redundant question.

I am working on a short film project and have a THUNDER track that will play beneath dialogue. There are separate thunder clips on this track and I need to EQ each of them a little bit differently. The only answers I have found online are "make a new track for each thunder clip"

Is this standard operating procedure for such an issue? Can I not EQ each individual clip on the same track?

Thanks for your time.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:16 PM

Default Re: Multiple EQ Setting for Separate Clips on Same Track?

hi rob. thank you for your advice. i should have thought of the automation myself! alas, i am only two months into PT.

I guess I just would have thought that I could highlight a clip and EQ it. My film school uses the ancient Apple Soundtrack Pro and that is the way it works. I am quite surprised to see that this is not an option in PT.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ruce View Post
You can with AudioSuite within PT, but it's a destructive edit, which is ok
if you're sure that's what you want. It rewrites the waveform itself. There is no "revert" function within AudioSuite, as there is in many Apple programs.
You can always save your original raw audio duplicated on another drive etc.
Audiosuite will do what you describe above. HTH
Actually, the original audio should still be sitting in the clips bin, but agree, and would use AudioSuite EQ to render the clips as you need9of course, there's no harm in duplicating the playlist first

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-17-2013, 11:08 PM

Why can't he just automate the eq to whatever curve he needs at the particular points of interest?
Mac Pro 6.1, E5-2690 V2 10 core 3.0G, 32gig 1866 memory, 512G PCIe system drive, 4 480G OWC 3G SSD data drives in Thunderbolt 2 enclosure, macOS 10.15.7, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.9.1, Twin Raven MTi's, Apollo 8 TB, 2 UAD2 Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, RME ADI-4 DD, Neve 5012, 5043, Bricasti M7, 2 PCM 92's, M350, DynAudio BM6 MK 3, BM14S, a bunch of cool mics...1 damned iLok2.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:14 AM

If you really need to have a different treatment on each one, I still think the separate track method is the way to go. You could route each track to the same aux if you want to have other kinds of control over all of them at once. The automation thing seems a little kludgey. I was playing around with Reaper earlier this year, and you can do this kind of clip-based stuff with that. Some nice ideas in that software--I'd rather be working in PT, though.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:32 AM

Does Non-HD do snapshot automation?
Old 04-18-2013, 06:36 AM

As others have said, probably the fastest, easiest way would be to duplicate the track, Make the original inactive and use an audiosuite EQ on each section. You end up with one (active) track of EQ'd thunder...
Fast and easy.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 04-18-2013, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post
As others have said, probably the fastest, easiest way would be to duplicate the track, Make the original inactive and use an audiosuite EQ on each section. You end up with one (active) track of EQ'd thunder...
Fast and easy.
Perfect solution if you can be satisfied with the settings with one go. IF the settings are constantly changing then multiple tracks would be the faster solution. Just that if you're low on DSP/CPU resources the multiple track hassle needs to be routed (bussed) to an audio track so you can record your settings to that track once you're ready.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:38 PM

OR...

You can just make 8 presets.... And WRITE automation to the plug/track by playing back and selecting the next preset... the EQ will jump to the preset you chose at the time you were writing automation.

This does A LOT of things... like... saves on voices (# of tracks) saves on processing power (1 EQ instead of 8!), completely re doable by altering your preset and recalling the new one during write or latch....

**** You can snap the nodes to grid If you are using a tempo map to get exact downbeat....etc

Last edited by jasonthurley; 04-18-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonthurley View Post
OR...

You can just make 8 presets.... And WRITE automation to the plug/track by playing back and selecting the next preset... the EQ will jump to the preset you chose at the time you were writing automation.

This does A LOT of things... like... saves on voices (# of tracks) saves on processing power (1 EQ instead of 8!), completely re doable by altering your preset and recalling the new one during write or latch....

**** You can snap the nodes to grid If you are using a tempo map to get exact downbeat....etc
I've never done this. Thanks for the idea. It still seems like you've got to niggle around a little bit naming the presets, then making sure they're in the right order as you click through them? Then to tweak any of them later, you'd have to suspend the automation, tweak and resave the preset; but then since it's the same name on the preset, the same automation will recall the revised version?