Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2014, 02:25 PM

Default S3L-X: Upgraded Headphone Amp?

According to Avid's official S3L-X page, it appears as though the S3L-X has an upgraded headphone amplifier over the original model.
Quote:
Monitor with confidence through the higher output, lower noise headphone amp
Can someone please confirm that this is indeed the case?

I've read everything publicly available about the S3L (RAM) upgrade for existing users, but have yet to hear anything about the headphone amp. Could this imply the upgrade is software-based?

If it is indeed a change in hardware, can one be assured that if an S3L-X is ordered today, it will indeed arrive with the upgraded headphone amp?

Any clarification would be appreciated, as information is pretty scarce.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:40 AM

Default Re: S3L-X: Upgraded Headphone Amp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iirth View Post
According to Avid's official S3L-X page, it appears as though the S3L-X has an upgraded headphone amplifier over the original model.

Can someone please confirm that this is indeed the case?

I've read everything publicly available about the S3L (RAM) upgrade for existing users, but have yet to hear anything about the headphone amp. Could this imply the upgrade is software-based?

If it is indeed a change in hardware, can one be assured that if an S3L-X is ordered today, it will indeed arrive with the upgraded headphone amp?

Any clarification would be appreciated, as information is pretty scarce.
Original S3 had pretty bad noise in the HP plus at least my unit was not able to drive my in-ear monitors, the frequency response was way off and it distorted. Now I have a newer replacement unit from Avid and the HP amp is better. It's still noisy, I can hear the flashing leds and other gremlins working in the surface, but I would say it's "fair" for live sound. I cannot say it's OK for studio work though...

I have not tried the new surface with my in-ears yet as I'm not doing monitors that much but I will test it soon, since you just reminded me about the issue I had with the original unit.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:03 PM

My dealer informed me that his Avid Rep assured him that all units now shipping will indeed have an upgraded headphone amplifier.
(Sorry, I received no information regarding an upgrade for current users).

I did order S3L-X, so an evaluation will be done in a week or so. I'll report back with any findings.

I sold a Dangerous Dbox to help fund the Pro Tools / interface crossgrade, with the intention of re-purchasing one when funds allow. Hopefully the upgraded headphone output will keep the Dbox low on the priorities list.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:40 AM

Quote:
My dealer informed me that his Avid Rep assured him that all units now shipping will indeed have an upgraded headphone amplifier.
(Sorry, I received no information regarding an upgrade for current users).

I did order S3L-X, so an evaluation will be done in a week or so. I'll report back with any findings.

I sold a Dangerous Dbox to help fund the Pro Tools / interface crossgrade, with the intention of re-purchasing one when funds allow. Hopefully the upgraded headphone output will keep the Dbox low on the priorities list.
The S3LX is an amazing live sound console with a ton of great features. Certainly having a clean headphone amp is important but I don't see the headphone amp on the S3L controller being anywhere near that on a Dangerous DBox. They are completely different applications.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:03 PM

Thanks for the insight, BradLyons and Kristo Kotkas.

I had hoped the D/A outputs of the S3L(-X) would rival that of the Avid Omni, and that no other monitor controller would be needed for studio applications. It appears that may not be the case.

Does anyone know if the inputs/outputs of the E3 engine will work in tandem with the S3 while running Pro Tools 11 without Venue? I'd like to connect a Dangerous Dbox (or Cranesong Avocet) via AES to the E3 for studio monitoring, if the E3 outputs are not suited for the job.
Old 10-11-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the insight, BradLyons and Kristo Kotkas.

I had hoped the D/A outputs of the S3L(-X) would rival that of the Avid Omni, and that no other monitor controller would be needed for studio applications. It appears that may not be the case.

Does anyone know if the inputs/outputs of the E3 engine will work in tandem with the S3 while running Pro Tools 11 without Venue? I'd like to connect a Dangerous Dbox (or Cranesong Avocet) via AES to the E3 for studio monitoring, if the E3 outputs are not suited for the job.
We are talking about the headphone amp sound here, not the S3 line outputs, I have had no noise issues with these. At the same time I must admit I haven't done any A/B test comparing the outputs of S3 & E3. I believe Sheldon has said they are the same design.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:29 PM

So is the S3l X a new console? Or updated firmware and software? I just bought a new one that is supposed to be S3L X but the box just says S3L ???
8 gig ram
FW Drives (Multiple)
eSATA Drives (Multiple)

[email protected]
Old 10-11-2014, 10:19 PM

S3L-X will have the headphone jack in the front.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristo Kotkas View Post
We are talking about the headphone amp sound here, not the S3 line outputs....
Sorry, I should not have lumped all the outputs together in that comment.

LanceK, as far as I'm aware, the S3L-X is an S3L with double the RAM (in E3), an upgraded headphone amplifier (in the S3), and upgraded Venue and Eucon software (which adds a great deal of functionality). I don't believe anything has changed appearance-wise (apparently including the box it's shipped in).

Mine should be arriving next week. I look forward to a few weeks of testing.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike496 View Post
S3L-X will have the headphone jack in the front.
I was unaware of that. That's a pleasant surprise.