Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-29-2010, 03:36 AM

Default PT8 LE and Steven Slate Drums

Hi

Ok, I managed to get through installing PT8 on Win7 64bit And, my copy of Eleven showed up too... happy days!

Now, am thinking about buying Steven Slate Drums 3.5, since, I got hold of some of the samples previoulsy, and, tested them out via BFD2, and, well, they do appear to be as good as they are meant to be.

I believe the instrument is based on Kontakt 3 or something, so, are there any known issues between it and PT8? Am guessing, since, Slate is fairly well known, and, it comes as Rtas, that it should be ok, but, just checking really

ps - still cant find anywhere to get presets for Eleven LE, just Eleven Rack, and, they dont bloody work!!

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
MAC OSX Leopard 10.5.8

Pro Tools LE 7.4 - (Waiting on upgrade to 8)
Mbox 2 Mini

Website
Violent Angel
Old 09-29-2010, 06:15 AM

Default Re: PT8 LE and Steven Slate Drums

They should work fine, as long as you update to the latest version of the Kontakt player, which is really where any compatibility issues would be addressed.

On a side note, keep in mind that the SSD drum software, as far as I know, no longer includes Wav or Drumagog files, so you wouldn't be able to open them in BFD or any other software that opens wavs.

They changed this when they came out with Trigger, because they want that to be the exclusive program that people use with SSD drums.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
They should work fine, as long as you update to the latest version of the Kontakt player, which is really where any compatibility issues would be addressed.

On a side note, keep in mind that the SSD drum software, as far as I know, no longer includes Wav or Drumagog files, so you wouldn't be able to open them in BFD or any other software that opens wavs.

They changed this when they came out with Trigger, because they want that to be the exclusive program that people use with SSD drums.
Thats good to know, will find out later! Its the latest SSD release, so, ideally the player that comes with it will work (fingers crossed)

I noticed that, they come in "odd" sample formats. I have got, as I said, the gog files/wav files anyway, and, have drumagog. Trigger looks pretty hot though. My plan with this is to move away from BFD I think. Fantastic as it is, its a pain in the **** for memory usage and space!! Hopefully this ssd is as good as it should be

MAC OSX Leopard 10.5.8

Mbox 2 Mini

Website
Violent Angel
Old 09-29-2010, 01:01 PM

Get the Komplete 7 Players for the latest Kontakt version
http://www.native-instruments.com/#/...5&content=1268
FREE
Old 09-29-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw69uk View Post
Thats good to know, will find out later! Its the latest SSD release, so, ideally the player that comes with it will work (fingers crossed)

I noticed that, they come in "odd" sample formats. I have got, as I said, the gog files/wav files anyway, and, have drumagog. Trigger looks pretty hot though. My plan with this is to move away from BFD I think. Fantastic as it is, its a pain in the **** for memory usage and space!! Hopefully this ssd is as good as it should be
i have used ssd and bfd2 side by side for quite a long time now. cant seem to give up bfd with packs such as the joe barressi available. the slate sound good, just not an "everything" kind of set for me. i typically will get the beef of my sound from bfd barressi, johns, such expansion and use the ssd samples for the attack which they are great at, just seem thin at times in comparison.

plus the bfd 2 player kills the kontakt interface for working w drums. seem no matter how long i have been messing w kontakt i still stumble through it for drum stuff and bfd 2 is just simply laid out.

all my opinions of course and some food for thought!!

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 09-29-2010, 04:14 PM

How is SSD and BFD2 compared to EZDrummer? I love how simple EZD is and am curious how it stacks up against these two on ease of use and CPU power.....

"Yes, recording to the system drive is 99% likely THE main problem." sw rec
Old 09-30-2010, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
i have used ssd and bfd2 side by side for quite a long time now. cant seem to give up bfd with packs such as the joe barressi available. the slate sound good, just not an "everything" kind of set for me. i typically will get the beef of my sound from bfd barressi, johns, such expansion and use the ssd samples for the attack which they are great at, just seem thin at times in comparison.

plus the bfd 2 player kills the kontakt interface for working w drums. seem no matter how long i have been messing w kontakt i still stumble through it for drum stuff and bfd 2 is just simply laid out.

all my opinions of course and some food for thought!!
I can understand that, indeed. The bulk of my recordings have always been with BFD2 and Evil Drums. Just seemed to "work". But, as far as recording goes, its only my own stuff, and, I have recently ventured into the superior drummer 2 land. Using the Slate mixer presets, and, I have to say, they were what tipped me over the edge to get this SSD. I also have Evil Drums for Superior as well, but, they dont seem as good as te BFD2 version. I do get the feeling I will be venturing back at somepoint, but, have never used Kontakt, so, will see.

MAC OSX Leopard 10.5.8

Mbox 2 Mini

Website
Violent Angel
Old 09-30-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneFO View Post
How is SSD and BFD2 compared to EZDrummer? I love how simple EZD is and am curious how it stacks up against these two on ease of use and CPU power.....
well, I havent had chance to use SSD yet, but, will report back!

BFD and EZDrummer? dont use ez drummer but, superior drummer 2 is pretty similar I hthink. I find BFD easier, but, i used it first, which might be why. I "understand" how BFD, and, the mixer etc on that works, in SD2 I tend to rely on presets

MAC OSX Leopard 10.5.8

Mbox 2 Mini

Website
Violent Angel