How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2014, 09:06 AM

Default 2014 MacBook Pro for Editing Only

Hi everyone

I wonder if some of the more technically savvy of you could help me please?

You will see from my spec that I use PT11 with an iMac and an external (Seegate) drive for my projects. My soundcard is my SSL Nucleus.

If I were to buy a 2014 MacBook Pro of a satisfactory specification and loaded PT 11 and my plugins on to it would I be able to edit single projects if the need arose and listen to them on headphones using the MBP internal soundcard? (Obviously by utilizing my iLok2 whenever I did this). I would not be doing any direct recording on the MBP.

I know that projects and applications on the same drive are not normally advised but this would be an occasional practice. Have also seen that AVID do not show a 2014 MBP in their compatibility listings but I am assuming that does not mean it will be problematic only that they do not support it (?).

If there are any other issues I am overlooking e.g. Yosemite? perhaps you could also steer me on the right path.

Many thanks for any help you can give.

Terry
Old 12-17-2014, 10:59 AM

Default Re: 2014 MacBook Pro for Editing Only

I use a 2013 MBP on the soundstage for any tweaks, editing etc. Has the flash drive...no externals. Works great while running video...no problems at all. Using Yosemite.
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:11 AM

Default Re: 2014 MacBook Pro for Editing Only

Many thanks Ron...much appreciated.