Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 12-23-2019, 08:07 PM

Default Re: Why does ASCAP require you to re-register copyright to a vanity publshing compan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Are you certain that BMI pays both shares to writers who don't have or own a publishing company affiliation? That's something new from what I've always understood but I haven't looked into it for quite a while.
Yes, that is the way they do it. I read about it and actually talked to them about it just a few days ago. They have a name they call it. I can’t think of it right now but I will find it. Someone said they were getting overwhelmed with upkeep and manageing of a zillion little publisher accounts where there was only a couple songs generating no royalties or something. I Imagine there may also be an issue with collecting funds and then sitting on them indefinitely. ????9

EDIT: OK, it says BMI will consider you “copyright controlled / self published” if you don’t have a publisher, and they will pay out the publishing money to your writer account.

Best,

mightyduck

Last edited by mightyduck; 12-23-2019 at 09:49 PM.