Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2019, 10:42 AM

Default Re: PT2018 on Multiple Monitors

I run three monitors. 1 & 2 run PTs Mix and Edit pages. Number 3 can take any floating window with or without PTs desktop being extended onto it. 1 & 2 are connected to the DVI ports, and 3 to the Display port on my GTX750ti. This is an older picture with the PT desktop across all three monitors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cropped No2AA.jpg (66.4 KB, 0 views)
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n
Old 01-03-2019, 12:05 PM

Default Re: PT2018 on Multiple Monitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
I don't see that in the Windows version. Must be a Mac thing.
It is a Mac thing! (for now)

The Geeky Nerd stuff:
We're referring to "Modal windows" which are sometimes called heavy windows or modal dialogs because they often display a dialog box or additional screen. A modal window is a graphical control element subordinate to an application's main window. It creates a mode that disables the main window, but keeps it visible with the modal window as a child window in front of it. Users must interact with the modal window before they can return to the parent application. This avoids interrupting the workflow on the main window.

Many features that would typically be represented by modal windows are implemented as modal transient panels called "Sheets" on Mac OS X. Transient windows behave similarly to modal windows – they are always on top of the parent window and are not shown in the window list, but they do not disable the use of other windows in the application. Sheets slide out of the window's title bar, and usually must be dismissed before the user can continue to work in the window, but the rest of the application stays usable. Thus they create a mode inside the window that contains them, but are modeless with respect to the rest of the application.

This can be done in Windows but would require a rewrite in code to accommodate the modeless states. It's within AVIDs control. The question is if there is enough priority to it and/or there are enough customer complaints about effective usage that would put this on a list or push this higher up the priority list.

For anyone really skilled in PT, its a nice to have, but definitely not mandatory. I use 2-Dell 43 Ultra HD 4K Multi Client Monitors (model P4317Q). Each screen can be used as a solo monitor (1 feed each), dual-ed (2 feeds each) or quad-ed (4 feeds each). This allows for me to see 8 (actual not virtual) desktops. I have two 4-HDMI output nVidia Video cards. Ultimately, PT still has to be stretched across to get multiple screens working. I'm ok with this. (its a little over kill but I look at my stocks every now and then too! LOL)