How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2011, 12:55 PM

Post Sonar Convert Needs Help!!!

Hello everyone,

I recently switched from Sonar X1 / 8.5.3 to Pro Tools 9. I'm finding the learning curve a little steeper than I'm used to, but I know that in the end I'll be happy with Pro Tools.

Having said that, I am having difficulty trying to perform a task in Pro Tools that was quite simple in Sonar, and I just can't seem to figure it out on my own. Any help would be very much appreciated.

I usually record hard rock / metal music which entails tracking the rhythm guitar usually at least 4 times for that fat "wall of guitars" sound. When micing up an amp it's no problem, I'd just record several audio tracks. However, when using Amplitube 3 it's a bit of a different story.

In Sonar I would set up an audio track with an instance of Amplitube 3, then record the take. Then I would use the "Bounce to track" feature. This would create a new audio track with the amplitube processing embedded, but without the Amplitube plugin in the FX bin. I'd repeat this process until I was happy with the overall guitar sound. I found this a great way to record multiple passes without having to set up an audio track with Amplitube in the FX bin every time. Also, having only a single instance of Amplitube generated much less latency than setting up multiple tracks/instances of Amplitube.

My question is; how do I do this in pro tools?? Is it possible? I'm still working my way through the Groove3 Pro Tools 9 video, so pardon me if it's plainly obvious. Thanks in advance for the help.

D
Old 02-01-2011, 01:04 PM

Default Re: Sonar Convert Needs Help!!!

As long as you have no automated parameters, you can use the Audio Suite version of the plug-in (in the Audio Suite menu) to process the track. Otherwise, you have to buss it to a new track and record it in real time. Either way, it's a good idea to duplicate the playlist first so you can easily get back to the unprocessed sound if you decide to alter the amp sound later.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 02-01-2011, 01:07 PM

Although it is one of the top10 features requested by users, PT does not have a dedicated "bounce to track" feature (yet).
But you can work around this by routing your Amplitude track (either by changing the output or by making a send) through a bus to another audio track and record the output on this new track.
Hope this helps,

Andy
Old 02-01-2011, 01:08 PM

Daeron was faster than me.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:23 PM

If you are using the same settings on Amplitube, you can always just create an AUX track and insert the plug and then send the outputs of the guitars to the AUX track.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:36 PM

That's a good idea, getz. Track the amp tone as you go.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJCP View Post
Although it is one of the top10 features requested by users, PT does not have a dedicated "bounce to track" feature (yet).
But you can work around this by routing your Amplitude track (either by changing the output or by making a send) through a bus to another audio track and record the output on this new track.
Hope this helps,

Andy
Thanks, Andy (and everyone else)

Like I said, I'm pretty new to Pro Tools, the routing in Sonar seemed much simpler. Would you mind letting me know how to do this step by step? Thanks again.

D
Old 02-01-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getz76 View Post
If you are using the same settings on Amplitube, you can always just create an AUX track and insert the plug and then send the outputs of the guitars to the AUX track.
If I understand what you're saying correctly, this would result in tracking multiple tracks at once via a single instance of Amplitube?

It's a great idea, but the guitars sound much better when there are the small differences you get from actually playing the part multiple times.

D
Old 02-01-2011, 01:43 PM

I'm not sure if this is the easiest way, but it should work:
1) Create a send from the Amplitube track to a free bus. I would set the send to pre-fader
2) Create a new audio track. Set the input of this track to the Bus you selected before
3) Record enable the new track
4) Check that you have Input Monitoring set to "auto", not "input only".
5) Press record
This should now record the audio produced by Amplitube to the new track.
I don't do it often, so maybe the others can explain it better...
Old 02-01-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbed1 View Post
If I understand what you're saying correctly, this would result in tracking multiple tracks at once via a single instance of Amplitube?
Not at the same time, that's the key. The idea is to save having to reinstanciate the plug-in and recall the settings multiple times. Cut through the same instance of the plug to several tracks one by one.