Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 08-29-2008, 08:37 AM

Default MIDI Noob... Playing virtual instruments simultaneously?

Hey gang...

I want to demo some songs with the band in my project studio. I have a DD65 drum controller (MIDI in and out), and a Roland A-37 (MIDI In, Out A, Out B, and Thru). I have a Midiman MIDI to USB interface, which works beautifully with both controllers.

I want to use them simultaneously, the DD65 to trigger EZ Drummer, and the A-37 to control the Bosendorfer 290. I have the instrument tracks set up, and receiving MIDI signal and producing audio, but I can only get them to trigger simultaneously or not at all. I'm BRAND NEW to MIDI, so I know I'm the issue here :). How do I set up my gear to chain correctly into my machine, and set up my channels so that one is triggered by the DD65, and the other is triggered by the A-37?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
-Liam
Old 08-29-2008, 08:53 AM

Default Re: MIDI Noob... Playing virtual instruments simultaneously?

So, it turns out that on a cryptic page in the back of my owner's manual for the DD65, it says that the default MIDI output channel for the device is channel 10. A brief read through of other issues on the DUC gave me an idea where to find MIDI channel assignments in PTLE, and a little trial and error has me up and running - A-37 on Channel 1, DD65 on Channel 10. And all's right with the world.

And even though I helped myself this time around, you guys are STILL the best.

-L
Old 08-29-2008, 08:54 AM

As I understand your question:

PT allows you to specifically assign a MIDI device/channel to an instrument. To do so, select VIEW -> EDIT WINDOW and make sure INSTRUMENT is checked. Now on each track, click on the top button and select the MIDI device you want to control this instrument. The top button is MIDI INPUT and the next button is MIDI OUTPUT.

Busch.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:57 AM

Hey Busch...

Now, that I DIDN'T know (that one was In and one was Out). And I'm sure that'll come in handy as I further confuse myself :).

I appreciate the reply, and the knowledge.

Thanks!
-Liam