Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 08-11-2002, 11:39 PM

Default Buying new system assistance please

Hi all, would there be any advantage to buying a 933 Mhz G4 with L3 cache over an 800 with no L3?

Also, is there a FAQ on buying and setting up a new system? I am getting into an HD2 system and a new mac and Firewire and don't know the first thing about Protools (except that my clients are asking about it). I have a lot of DAW experience. I am comming from a Paris system. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Robby
Old 08-12-2002, 07:08 AM

Default Re: Buying new system assistance please

Hi Robby,

I just got a Mac 933 and an HD3 system. I'm a PC guy myself and have never used a Mac prior to last week. I started a thread looking for the same sort of stuff you are asking about. This should point you to the thread:

http://duc.digidesign.com/cgi-bin/ub...;f=16;t=014335

It describes how to set up your Mac for an optimal Pro-Tools environment. I hope some of the info in there is of use to you. I followed their advice and my system is working great. I put three partitions on my system as they suggest (2 with OS 9.2.2 and 1 with OSX).

If you have more specific questions beyond what is covered in this thread I'm sending you just post them. The DUC users are very good about helping out.

Good luck,
Mike
Old 08-12-2002, 01:11 PM

Thanks for the info. A really good start! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-12-2002, 01:36 PM

Location: From: Trinidad (Humboldt Co.); living: somewhere between Chicago and St.Louis...

Hello. I don't know how beneficial the L3 is on Mix or HD systems, but it sure is nice on PTLE.
I also recently upgraded my Mac to the 933 Quicksilver and I love it! Plus many (other) programs could potentially benefit from having it...I guess as long as the price difference doesn't kill your budget, go w/ the 933. I'm sure glad I did... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-12-2002, 01:52 PM

Do yourself a favor... get a RADAR-24 w/the S-Nyquist option... it just sounds better...
Old 08-12-2002, 04:35 PM

Location: From: Trinidad (Humboldt Co.); living: somewhere between Chicago and St.Louis...

Nah, Fletcher. Record to 2in. tape with a 16 track head stack, but edit w/ Pro Tools...it just edits better...

p.s...Careful--don't get banned by slinging slop...You make a lot of sense when you want to... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]