Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2005, 11:26 AM

Default Re: URS E.Q.\'s - Do I really need them all?

I have to say the URS plugs I have the A & N series, BLT and Native N12 have really changed my life so to speak.

I was almost ready to give up on mixing ITB and go back to some kind off console.

Most of the people I work with have an SSL's at there disposal and I do to if I want to pay to go mix somewhere outside of my own project studio.

The URS plugs have made feel that I can at least get close to the sound I'm after without having to go somewhere else to mix.
It allows me to at least feel like I can compete with my own as well as others mixing that are done on a NAME console.

I have the Waves Platinum Bundle and I have used the Sony stuff but not enough to comment on there effectiveness in my mixes but the Waves never did it for me.
Now in the right hands I have heard great things from both Waves and Sony stuff.

For me the URS EQ just make it so much easier to get the sound I'm after.

I think I've made up my mind I really do need the rest of the URS Q's and maybe the Waves Q'clone.
I could use that with some of my out board API and NEVE Q's.

Anymore URS or Q-clone users out there that can share there experiences they have had with these EQ's?

Thanks for all the input!

KC
Old 06-12-2005, 05:25 PM

Bump!
Old 06-12-2005, 08:59 PM

Yes, I have to echo the positive coments of everyone here. In my opinion, URS has "done the impossible." If you've ever bemoaned the fact that plugins can't make analog out of digital (i.e., bring that depth, shape, richness without distortion, excitement, and overall aural penumbra we often refer to as "musicality"), then now is a great time to be recording.

URS is not the only one out there doing this alchemy. We're seeing some benchmark strides right now. You might be interested in Dave Hill's work at CraneSong if you haven't heard about their products already. He builds Class A discrete type gear with digital components--this is the case whether you buy a compresor, equalizer, mixer, converter.... Some of the most analog sounding outboard I've enjoyed ever. I find myself reaching for CraneSong's Trakker (compressor) over my Distressors and PurpleMC77s more than I thought i would.

He (Dave Hill at CraneSong) also sells the Phoenix tape emulation plugin (a simplistic description, probably). Its meant to be inserted on every track. Very subtle effect, almost unnoticeable on individual tracks until you start working with it a lot. But taken together the effect is quite authentic. I use the TDM version on every track I'm using, on the way in, on the way out, wherever there is a signal. When you combine these with the URS eq's you really get a beautiful earfull.

I started off with the Fulltec several months ago, and its still my favorite. Been using the A and N series only since June 1. I don't know how often I'll use the Mix or S, but they didn't really cost me anything, so who cares? They came with the Everything Bundle, most of which was instantly useful. Like another member of the DUC who replied to you, I decided to go with the "rent to own" option. I know this is not your issue, as you have everything but the Mix and S already. I suppose my answer makes it appear as though I have slightly less enthusiasm for the Mix and S EQs than the ones you already own. From what I hear and read, these two EQs may get used a little less by most people, not because they are inferior, but because their "vibe" is not quite so noticeable or dramatic. If you have demoed these then you know thery sound great and are very functional. Maybe you should consider waiting for a "deal" on these two unless you need to use them right away?

I wanted to talk a little about the Q-Clone but I can hardly keep my eyes open so its off to sweet dreams for me. Good luck with your decision. Whatever you do, make beautiful music...
Old 06-13-2005, 01:56 PM

I just tried the Q-clone demo! WOW! I cloned my passive Gyratec EQ on a bass,, and then used it with the Q clone plugin and I could NOT hear the differrence between the real and the clone..... What the f..k is this??? Absolutely AMAZING!!
Damn.... I even lined up a little A/B test: Very tiny little bit of a difference, but with blindfold I could not pin the right.... [bleep]...

Tubz
Old 06-13-2005, 03:56 PM

Strange you say that Tubz, - it didnt do it for me, - tried to clone a Neve 1073 and also the 110.... - maybe I´m doing something wrong because I didnt get near the results it seems you got.

The URS stuff on the other hand, - what can I say, - simply great - they got the vibe!

Euro-Sound Studio
www.euro-sound.org
Old 06-14-2005, 08:16 AM

Quote:
I just tried the Q-clone demo! WOW! I cloned my passive Gyratec EQ on a bass,, and then used it with the Q clone plugin and I could NOT hear the differrence between the real and the clone..... What the f..k is this??? Absolutely AMAZING!!
Damn.... I even lined up a little A/B test: Very tiny little bit of a difference, but with blindfold I could not pin the right.... [bleep]...

Tubz

same here, i demoed the Q-clone and used it on a few different hardware eq (neve, API, SSL) and was amazed (and so was everybody else in the room). it rocks!!
Old 06-16-2005, 11:35 PM

Default show me how to justify the URS plugins.

I've never had the opportunity to mix my music on a SSL, or with vintage hardware EQ's. so ok i love the idea of having Emulations of great sounding hardware . i've been playing with the URS demos all night, and I would like to buy some new plugins to add new colors to my mixes.

i've been comparing the URS EQ's one by one to the new DiGi EQ3. i've been matching Q's, Gains, and freq's. and i haven't found a sound from a URS EQ i cant dial into the EQ3 or at least very very close..

where is this analog highend magic? i've been testing with drums, bass, violin, and acoustic guitar tracks. i'm trying really hard to find a reason for a USR EQ... so far the only thing i can think of is if you are used to using them and like the way they dial in settings.. sonically i cant find a benefit. trust me i really want to..

ok and the comment about just having them in as an flat insert to color the sound is BS. i put a BLT on a track with a 16 hz to 22khz sweep, bounced and the tracks/wavforms are identical. so i thought ok maybe it's in bypass until you adjust a gain. so i cranked the highend .1db and the level -.1db and almost nill to no difference in the bounced file.. where is the analog sound of the circuitry that everyone is talking about? i know if i put a flat BF2A or 3A i'll hear the color/change..

can someone give me a working example to try so i can see a benefit of spending the cash for these EQ's.. they do sound great but nothing i cant recreate. is the benefit just having the eq curves of the hardware? just so you don't have to spend time setting up a standard EQ?
Old 06-17-2005, 12:57 AM

Default Re: show me how to justify the URS plugins.

Vieris, I haven't tried the URS, so this is not the anwser, but, when you do tests like that make sure:
1. Don't test them with headphones only.
2. Your monitoring system/speakers has to be of very good quality to judge, or at least you have to know them really well.
3. Your controlroom has to be acousticly well balanced to actually hear and feel some of these differences.
4. Keep in mind that small differences in the path can make big changes in the finishing stages of a tune.

Other than that, I really don't know that much about it...

BR Tubz
Old 06-17-2005, 01:46 AM

I demo'd the URS EQ's (Mix, S, N and A) and the McDSP channel G at the same time.

I bought the Channel G, and now often use it in preference to the Sony EQ's, mainly the Neve or API settings. The 'Music' and 'Post' EQ algorithms are also good for more surgical stuff, and the Neve and API compression is superb. The SSL channel EQ I've never really liked anyway and the Channel G gates suck unfortunately.

I'm not saying the URS aren't good - they undoubtedly are and I'll no doubt buy them in due course - just pointing out the fact that there are some equally good alternatives. Incidentally, I also have the McDSP Filterbank and would not even compare it to the Channel G - basically it only gets used for conventional filter sweep type stuff.

Jules
Old 06-18-2005, 03:52 AM

well i played with the URS plugs a bit more... i have to say i do like the S series (SSL Eq). the URS plugs do have a smooth highend.. i still think you can get really close with tweaking your stock EQ but i guess if you want that extra edge they will give it.. i think 1/2 of it might just be that people like presets/plugins that just already sound good with minimal tweaking.. at the end of the day my tracks are sounding different and i like the new colors. i be getting the SSL eq in the morning, plus it comes with the URS (DiGi) eq and BLT till the end of june. the BLT is just cool because it's so basic.. it's a great to have post verb.
Being that i can only afford one of the plugs the SSL EQ is the most useful to me. it is the workhorse of the bunch and i need that for drum tracks. but the others are nice and i wouldn't mind having them. the fulltec and neve do have a nice sound but are to limited for an all purpose EQ.