Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2006, 02:38 PM

Default The Definitive Answer to Using Logic with PT

Ok I have searched this to death. There is even a post here on the top page where one guy is swearing that it is working on his machine and another who is betting his life that it is not (in so many words of course). If anyone knows a solution to what I want to do I would be FOREVER in your debt!!!

MY GOAL: I have always loved the midi editing functions of Logic more than PT (as I think most do). Therefore I would like to simply use Logic for my midi tracks. For example, let's say I have a BFD loaded into a track in PT. Instead of a midi track inside of PT I would like to use a midi track in Logic. I'm guessing this can be done via the IAC bus?? If I could also use the software instrument tracks (EXS, EV88 etc) then that would just be gravy.

MY SETUP: I am running Pro Tools the latest version of 6.9, Logic 7.01, and Mac OS 10.3.9 I can put both a seperate machine as well if that will help.

THINGS I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IN THE ANSWER:
* specifics (not just IAC from Logic to PT)
* specifics on sync settings in both Logic and PT
* Audio driver settings in Logic
* Midi routing in both programs

I would LOVE for this to be the end all be all answer for this timeless question. I am quite sure that the authur to these questions could become an instant pro audio hero!!!
Old 10-02-2006, 04:52 PM

Default Re: The Definitive Answer to Using Logic with PT

The definitive answer is yes you can do it, but don't expect it to act like a fully-integrated system. It won't be sample-locked, for one thing, and you'll have to work out the best syncing system based on your gear. It's still two programs cobbled together, but hopefully you could develop your own method on them and make some music.

Since everyone's needs and goals are different, not to mention their setups, specific settings are going to vary.

I sync them using ProTools as the masterclock, sending SMPTE to Logic on the same computer using a hardware midi cable. See this thread: (many settings details)

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread...?Number=975204

For interfaces, I'm sending audio ADAT from Logic using an old MOTU 828 into my Digi 96. Digi set to Internal sync, MOTU getting sync from "ADAT optical". Otherwise it's click city. And I'm doing this all on my 2.0 G5 with 3.5 gigs of RAM.

There are ways to send midi from Logic to PT--I like the program Midipipe better than IAC.

I personally don't like to use the RTAS instruments in this setup. The reasons are too long to go into here. I'd much rather keep all my softsynths sounding in Logic, and record audio in ProTools. Then when the time comes to mix, I'll dump all the tracks I made in Logic into ProTools so that in the end I'm mixing only in PT.

I'm sorry, but that's as specific as I can get now. You can learn a lot by trial and error, so my best advice is the more you experiment, the more you'll know. And of course, RTFM.