Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 07-15-2011, 08:25 AM

Default Pro Tools HD Tweakhed SRC x AudioFile Eng. Sample Manager

Hi,

After years doing PT HD/TDM Real Time Tweakhead SRC, I have been advised to test Audio File Eng. Sample Manager.

I use only one daw for mastering with Hedd 1922 and analog chain.No Weiss Saracon here...:) )

Have you guys been using this software? Sample Manager and Wave editor are from the same company.

At their site we have this info> Industry Best Sample Rate Conversion
No need to reinvent the wheel here. Rather than spend a lot of time and money developing our own sample rate conversion, time stretching and wordlength reduction technologies and passing those costs on to you, we decided to source the best DSP available — iZotope™.

I am gonna test them for a while.

Ricardo Mosca, also from the DUC, strongly recommended me at GS.

Any info is greatly wellcomed.

Nice week-end.

http://www.facebook.com/alecio.costa

PT HD2 Accel - 10.3.10 OS 10.6.8 - Mac Pro 1,1 16GB RAM and Mac Pro 2,1 GB
Mastering Gear: Pendulum Audio, Crane Song, Avalon, Great River, Sebatron, Sonnox, Izotope, PSP, TC, Fab Filter.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:16 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools HD Tweakhed SRC x AudioFile Eng. Sample Manager

I compared r8brain Pro, iZotope 64-bit and PT Tweak Head today on good monitors in a treated room and - I must say - the differences were pretty small. Even PT bounced in the wrong order (with dither before SRC) didn't sound much different.

Maybe a mastering engineer can tell the difference... or it depends on the material... but I'm not sure how much I'd sweat over it. Of course, it's always best to draw your own conclusion. I haven't tried the AudioFile product you mention, but if it uses the same engine as Wave Editor, I presume it's iZotope.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:41 PM

You should try this.

http://www.weiss.ch/p2d/p2d.html
Old 07-16-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alécio Costa View Post
Hi,
Any info is greatly wellcomed.

Nice week-end.
Sample Manager's a nice product - there's some interface niggles and inconsistencies that I wish they'd fix, but otherwise it's very handy. Unlike many, I'm of the opinion that the ProTools SRC is excellent, and don't really see a need for something else. That said, the Izotope algorithm is slightly better, and the ability to trade pre-ring against alias products is nice (you will only be able to access the advanced parameters in SM if you buy the optional advanced pack). Sample Manager's batch capabilities though make it a must have; I can drag a pile of 96/24 audio files (one side of the split pair only or SM will get confused) onto SM, and have it interleave, process with a peak limiter, sample rate convert, dither down, place in another processed folder and then export AACs all in one go! It can do all kinds of other things too - Very handy for sending out refs, etc...

Hope that helps,
rich

----------------------------------------
MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex, OS 10.14, PT 2020 HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, Avid C24.