Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 10-17-2011, 03:22 PM

Default Can my iLok keep both licences for PT9 AND PT8?

Hi,

I'd like to crossgrade to PT9 for my MacBook, but I'd like to make sure I can keep on my old iLok authorization for the PT 8.0.4 version I'm using on my desktop (along with a Digi002).
I'm not planning to update the 10.5.8 I'm using on my desktop, that's why I have to use both, and I'd like to simply switch the authorization iLok from one system to another if I'm on the road.

Is it possible? Can I do it? Or crossgrading to PT9 will just update the 8.0.4 licence (basically screwing me..)??

Thank you in advance for your help.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:22 PM

Default Re: Can my iLok keep both licences for PT9 AND PT8?

PT8 LE doesn't need an iLok to run, it needs Digi/Avid hardware(and the authorization code). PT8 HD, does require iLok, and that authorization will be removed from your ilok account when you load in PT9. So if you have 8 HD, I would move the authorization to a spare iLok and load your new 9 authorization to its own. Even though the 8 asset will no longer be found in your iLok account, it will continue to work as long as that iLok doesn't get lost or broken.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-17-2011, 05:03 PM

Thank you very much.

I have PT 8 LE, and on the iLok I have all the authorizations for plug-ins and Music Production Toolkit.
Do you think I need a different iLok?
Old 10-17-2011, 07:22 PM

As Albee mentioned, you will not need a separate Ilok, because Protools 8 does not use one. Anytime and anyplace you need to use PT8, you will need to have your 002 or some other LE interface hooked up for it to work, just like you always have.

PT9 will require the Ilok to be hooked up.

Also, be aware that the Music Toolkit will not be needed in PT9, as all the functionality is built in (minus the other plugins that came with the bundle, you will still want to install those).
Old 10-18-2011, 12:38 AM

I understand, thank you.

You guys are absolutely right about PT8.
At the time, I bought a 002 Factory and the MPToolkit, and that's why I'm running it with the iLok.. now I remember!
(it's weird, you get lost behind gear and studio everyday and sometimes forget the basics!!).

I just wanted to make sure that PT9 license will only be added to the iLok and won't upgrade/erase/deactivate any other license.