Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2024, 04:49 PM

Default Cannot find the PT app after reinstalling

Had a really bad glitch in PT. Uninstalled and reinstalled PT 21.7.0.127. I know its an older version for my Catalina OS. Had a successful install but I have all the AVID contents except the main application. I cannot find the PT icon so I can open the app. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-14-2024, 05:29 PM

Default Re: Cannot find the PT app after reinstalling

"Catalina" so Mac, yeah?

The ProTools App icon will not automatically appear in your dock if that's where you are used to finding it. But the Application itself should certainly be in your Applications Folder which is:
Macintosh HD >> Applications, under P.

If you don't see it there, click somewhere on your desktop (bringing the Finder forward), type Command-f, and type "Pro Tools". I guess it's possible it installed somewhere else but that would be weird.

To add the icon to your dock, grab and drag the application from the Applications Folder to the spot you want it to appear and let go. That adds the shortcut.
TB Native + Omni at home
Apogee Duet 3 on the road
Old 03-14-2024, 05:33 PM

Default Re: Cannot find the PT app after reinstalling

Where *exactly* are you looking?

There is only one place this can be installed to and that is /Applications/Pro Tools.app

In Terminal type

$ ls -dl "/Applications/Pro Tools.app"

Copy and paste the output of that command here.

($ is the shell command prompt, it will be different on your systems, you do not type that part).

Uninstalling and reinstalling Pro Tools is usually not an effective solution to problems. What exactly was this "glitch"?

In future if you don't know what else to try, then follow the troubleshooting described under "help us help you" up the top of every DUC web page. Yes reinstalling Pro Tools is in that list, but far from the first thing to try.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 03-14-2024 at 06:44 PM.