Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2023, 09:22 AM

Default Re: Atmos playback from Apple Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
I'm listening to Atmos playback on my Mac right now. Apple Music Dolby Atmos -> Dante Virtual Soundcard (16x16) -> DADman/MTRX Studio to speakers.

Apple Music needs to see an output device with exactly 16 channels. This works on Monterey and up, I believe.

Am I misunderstanding the question?
No, you’re not. It entirely depends on the machine and the OS you are working with on Mac.

https://www.production-expert.com/pr...are?format=amp
Old 07-06-2023, 09:27 AM

Discreet Atmos does 100% absolutely work on your Mac, you just have to jump through a couple hoops to get there.

I have Atmos playback from Apple Music on three different Mac's (M2 Macbook Pro, M1 MacBook Pro, Intel Mac Pro) with three different operating systems, and it's working flawlessly. However, instead of using Mac's native output or routing through Dante Virtual Soundcard, I use Loopback. Also, you'll want to stream in the highest quality, or the surrounds and height channels will sound awful. If you route through Loopback and you're still only getting 5.1 you need to close and reopen the Music app.
Old 07-06-2023, 11:36 AM

You CAN play Dolby Atmos from your Mac as OG ScottyG pointed out.
Via Dante Virtual Sound Card.

Apple Music app
AppleTV app

You could also play Atmos from HBOMax app until they switched over to MAX.
Now there is no MAX desktop app(browser only).
What a stupid decision by HBO
Old 07-06-2023, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morris View Post
That is EXACTLY how I tried to configure using HDX and one of our HD I/O’s. The speaker test even works perfect. But everything is folded down to 5.1, using the side speakers instead of rears, and all 4 height channels are folded in quad somehow.

I’m sure I’m missing something…….
I think the HDX card itself presents more than 16 channels to macOS. Even though the HD IO has 16 channels, the HDX card probably presents it's full channel count (64) to the OS . Try using Pro Tools Audio Bridge 16 as the macOS system sound output and then bringing that into a 7.1.4 track I a Pro tools session using AuxIO. You'll need to make sure that the Configure Speakers setting in Audio Midi Setup matches the channel order that Pro Tool sis looking for in it's 7.1.4 path. That may require some experimentation.

The 16 channel thing is something specific to Apple Music that is required for it to output in Atmos, for some reason.
Old 07-06-2023, 11:57 AM

So the magic thing here is 16 output SINGLE interface? Two 2x6 interfaces is not enough for 7.1.4
Old 07-07-2023, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npapaleo View Post
... instead of using Mac's native output or routing through Dante Virtual Soundcard, I use Loopback.....
I've wasted at least an hour with Loopback with the same results as others; Atmos plays back 5.1 only (with all surrounds folding into the sides) - I haven't tried the DVS solution yet, but I suppose that's next when I get a couple hours to bang on this again. Curious what your Loopback device looks like? 12 channel or 16? I tried it with 12 and got nowhere, but perhaps 16 has some magical property. Kinda crazy that it should be so hard...

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 07-07-2023, 10:16 PM

I can't believe how hard it is to preview multi-channel audio in 2023. I've struggled with this to the point of pulling my hair out. I can get the Apple TV to shoot out 5.1 in my living room and that's fun to listen to, but moving over to the "professional studio" where you'd expect this to be easier it's actually a losing game. I've tried with a MacStudio and audio interface, and also with a MacMini connected to a 7.1 AV Processor. It seems like it going to work but I only hear 2.0.

FWIW, there are some great Atmos/5.1 remixes of classic albums on Apple Music. Also a lot of lazy ones where they used the stereo mix reverb added to the rears.
Old 07-10-2023, 02:26 AM

here you can find a good working tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeosJAWV6-o
Old 07-10-2023, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
I've wasted at least an hour with Loopback with the same results as others; Atmos plays back 5.1 only (with all surrounds folding into the sides) - I haven't tried the DVS solution yet, but I suppose that's next when I get a couple hours to bang on this again. Curious what your Loopback device looks like? 12 channel or 16? I tried it with 12 and got nowhere, but perhaps 16 has some magical property. Kinda crazy that it should be so hard...
Here are screenshots of my Loopback setup, which is fairly straightforward. You may need a weird series of computer restarts and software to make it work. If I haven't selected Loopback as my Mac's audio output before launch, the Music app Atmos will not work. Sometimes I need to re-launch Loopback. Usually, once it's set up and working, I don't have to jump through any hoops for months at a time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-07-10 at 9.25.29 AM.jpg (51.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-07-10 at 9.26.03 AM.jpg (48.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-10-2023, 07:36 AM

I apologize if this is too obvious; I don't mean to offend, but also, be sure the Apple Music (or tv show) file you're watching is the actual Atmos version. For instance, there are quite a few versions of Rocket Man on Apple Music, only one of which is the Atmos mix. Also, several albums may say they're Atmos, but often times only one or two singles from the album are actually in Atmos. I usually test with Apple's Spatial Audio playlists.