Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2018, 02:01 AM

Default Question: Frequency of PT Updates for Compatibility on the Newest Operating Systems

Hey all,

I just got delivered my new Apple computer I intend to be using Pro Tools on. It shipped with High Sierra 10.13.6, which I know is not yet an "officially" compatible OS with the latest releases of Pro Tools. In other words, Avid does not encourage anyone to update to any OS version higher than 10.13.3 at the time.

Now, I'd like to ask if any of you experts can make an educated guess on how long do you think it will take Avid to release an update that has been tested on and approved for the latest Mac OS?

I'm coming out of the Stone Age and upgrading from PT9 to 2018 with the "Reinstatement" plan. That plan gives me an upgrade and a year of free updates. Do you think the update I need will come out within a year or should I put off buying the reinstatement plan till I can be sure?

(I sure hope it won't take that long. Coming from v9 to the latest, I can't wait to dive in and explore some of the new features)

Thanks.
Old 08-25-2018, 04:56 AM

Default Re: Question: Frequency of PT Updates for Compatibility on the Newest Operating Syste

Trying to guess when Avid will put out any kind of update whether for compatibility or other has always been a fool's errand. They don't do updates on a regular schedule.

Here's my uneducated guess: with OSX Mojave on the horizon Avid may just skip compatibility work with High Sierra and go straight to Mojave.

QAPLA!
Old 08-25-2018, 07:01 AM

Default Re: Question: Frequency of PT Updates for Compatibility on the Newest Operating Syste

So, it could be a while....
Old 08-25-2018, 08:48 AM

Avid's definition of "support" is far more demanding than other DAWs because of their corporate clients. Most of us only use a tiny fraction of Pro Tools features but they all need to pass tests before any OS is declared "officially supported.". Avid is very good about promptly posting any actual incompatibility found in the Technical Alerts Announcements. During the 30 years I've been using this company's products, I've only used a "supported" computer or OS for around 12 of them.
Old 08-25-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKZ View Post
So, it could be a while....
Unfortunately I have to agree. Like Bob says Avid tests across the whole spectrum of what their s/w is before they announce compatibility with any particular operating system. PT might well be stable but say Media Composer might be as stable as the San Andreas fault or the Pacific Ring of Fire

QAPLA!
Old 08-25-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
PT might well be stable but say Media Composer might be as stable as the San Andreas fault or the Pacific Ring of Fire
You've misunderstood/misinterpreted Bob. Avid does NOT wait for all their products to be approved on an OS before sending out a "qualified."

Bob is saying there are features that many Pro Tools users do not touch upon that can hold up a version of Pro Tools from being qualified for a OS version. For instance ATMOS features.

And if you don't believe me, Media Composer is qualified for the latest High Sierra (10.13.6) right now.
Old 08-26-2018, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Avid's definition of "support" is far more demanding than other DAWs because of their corporate clients. Most of us only use a tiny fraction of Pro Tools features but they all need to pass tests before any OS is declared "officially supported.". Avid is very good about promptly posting any actual incompatibility found in the Technical Alerts Announcements. During the 30 years I've been using this company's products, I've only used a "supported" computer or OS for around 12 of them.
Thanks, Bob. I know, but since Avid has actually stated what the problem is - strangeness in lower buffer modes - I'm a bit reluctant to dive in right away since I do use very small buffers time to time. (I don't have a very convenient way to direct monitor most of the time).
Old 08-26-2018, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
You've misunderstood/misinterpreted Bob. Avid does NOT wait for all their products to be approved on an OS before sending out a "qualified."

Bob is saying there are features that many Pro Tools users do not touch upon that can hold up a version of Pro Tools from being qualified for a OS version. For instance ATMOS features.

And if you don't believe me, Media Composer is qualified for the latest High Sierra (10.13.6) right now.
So I did misinterpret Bob but I was also going by something I saw here many years back where it was said that Avid tests a new OSX revision on all their s/w and it has to pass muster on all to get a 'go'.

QAPLA!
Old 08-26-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKZ View Post
Thanks, Bob. I know, but since Avid has actually stated what the problem is - strangeness in lower buffer modes - I'm a bit reluctant to dive in right away since I do use very small buffers time to time. (I don't have a very convenient way to direct monitor most of the time).

"actually stated what the problem is - strangeness in lower buffer modes - I'm a bit reluctant"

For my flow it's a solid-combo.
Prep machine spec in sig.
(MacOs 10.13.6, Pro Tools 2018.7)
Old 08-27-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitT View Post

For my flow it's a solid-combo.
Prep machine spec in sig.
(MacOs 10.13.6, Pro Tools 2018.7)
Hmmm.... maybe I'll wait a little bit, and see what happens. Anyone else have success with this specific combo?