Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2014, 07:06 AM

Default Can I use Pro control digidesign without avid interfaces?

Hello people, please forgive if im of topic because im new in this forum.
Look, i Have 1 pro control digidesign daw controller, and i want to know if i can used with pro tools 10 without avid interfaces, just as big mouse conected by ethernet or if i can conect de 192, and "pre" directly to my computer without an avid audio card (pci)

thanks!
Old 07-17-2014, 07:42 AM

Default Re: Can I use Pro control digidesign without avid interfaces?

Hi;
Good question. I have Pro Control with PTHD 10. I switched playback to digital input (native) & yes, Pro Control still works. Next step concerns audio quality. While you can theoretically use the the Mac audio inputs, you're best off using some kind of audio interface. Plain PT 10, with correct drivers, will recognize most 3rd party interfaces. But if you have a 192, then you're gonna need an HD card to interface. First you need the HD version of PT software. Then you need either an HD Accel core or HD native card. Depending on your computer, HD core comes in either PCIX or PCIe formats. PCIX version can be had for $300, PCIe is probably a bit more. Or an HDX card can be had for $4-5k. HD native only comes in PCIe or thunderbolt I believe. Hope that helps...
Old 07-17-2014, 09:42 AM

you have probably save my life. look i have the universal audio quad interface, thats what i want to use with pro tools 10 (not hd), so for audio quality i dont have problems, but the big question is, are you really shure that i will can use the pro control with edit pack by ethernet conect as big mouse with all the control buttons working (except control room obvius because i dont want to insert/send audio across pro control, i just to use it for panning, control the mix with automations, and all those kind of things) and with the apollo quad interface.
and if is work? can you show me the link or send me the drivers for the pro control for pro tools 10 in mac os 10.6.8 (snow leopard), but some people has advise me to upgrade to mac os 10.7 (Lion) cause they say that pro tools 10 is more stable on it.
please excuse me my poor english and thanks so so so much because if you are totally rigth you make me to save a lot of money!
Best
Eduard Gasull
Old 07-17-2014, 09:48 AM

dtmprod already said it works in his setup
Old 07-17-2014, 12:37 PM

yes but he said that works on pro tools 10 HD but on pro tools 10? and when i can find the drivers?
Old 07-17-2014, 12:50 PM

AFAIK, it does not matter whether you have PT10 or PT10HD. Software is the same, drivers are the same, the only difference is the license.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:11 PM

Just to double check, look in your Protools folder. There's another folder that says 'Controllers'. Just make sure it has 'Procontrol bundle' inside. There are a bunch of others as well, so it probably installs by default. Then just follow the directions for hooking up ethernet and then going to your peripheral drop down under setup in Protools. Click on ethernet controller & then select your ethernet port. Click on 'enable' and it'll search for the Procontrol. Then click on 'none' next to #1 and you should see 'main unit'. Click on that & your main unit should be paired with your software. Good luck...
Old 06-06-2017, 02:25 AM

On the same subject, I have recently purchased a ProControl Main & Fader setup with additional Edit pack, but cannot get it to play audio through through audio out port to my KRK 5:1 speaker system, and as a newbie getting into post production at uni, I'm still trying to figure out how I route audio output from my G5 MacPro 2.1 via my Safire 212 audio interface, is the interface any use for this or do I need a better, larger audio interface, can anyone offer me any advise or assistance to get it sorted out, it would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Old 06-06-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Rae C View Post

On the same subject, I have recently purchased a ProControl Main & Fader setup with additional Edit pack, but cannot get it to play audio through through audio out port to my KRK 5:1 speaker system, and as a newbie getting into post production at uni, I'm still trying to figure out how I route audio output from my G5 MacPro 2.1 via my Safire 212 audio interface, is the interface any use for this or do I need a better, larger audio interface, can anyone offer me any advise or assistance to get it sorted out, it would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

To get surround, you need an interface with at least 6 outputs

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-16-2017, 04:14 AM

Thanks for the replay Dave, got it playing audio through 5 speakers now, but I'm on the lookout for 192 etc to give netter audio quality, ditched the 212, only use it for vocals or my guitar inputs, thanks again.