Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2012, 09:29 PM

Default At My Wit's End

Here are my vitals:

PT8.0.5
003 console
iMac Intel (4G of ram)

Here's my problem:

My problem is that my MIDI connections have disappeared. When I go to setup>MIDI>MIDI Studio or MIDI Input, nothing happens. And my MIDI controllers (keyboards, etc.) do not work.

MIDI info is getting to the 003, as the MIDI light comes on.

I have perused this board fairly extensively and have concluded that it's something with the MIDI drivers, specifically the core midi server network. Some have complained about the bouncing (cmsn) folder in the dock that won't let you shut down your computer w/o force quitting.

A band-aid solution is to remove the DigiDio midi driver from the hard disk. I did this awhile ago and my MIDI disappeared. I cannot say it happened at the same time, as I did notice the MIDI problem for a little while (I often work outside the box except to record audio).

Many others who removed the same driver also lost their MIDI connections.

FWIW, I installed a bunch of Spectrasonics and NI software around the time I began having the problem with the bouncing folder, but I no longer think there is a relationship there.

I found a solution to remove the folder, which is to go back to the 8.0.1 update and get that MIDI driver and replace the newer one. I tried this twice to no avail. I have seen no other solutions on the net. I cannot spend money just to get this fixed and my PT free support expired a long, long time ago.

FYI, I have a program that trashes the prefs every time I turn on the computer. I also tried a clean uninstall and that didn't work, either.

any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:11 PM

Default Re: At My Wit's End

Sorry if my facts aren't correct, but I THINK that the 8.0.5 update was for Snow Leopard (10.6) compatibility. I seem to remember reading (somewhere on this forum) that there were MIDI problems with 8.0.5 on any OS but Leopard.
I THINK the recommendation was to stick with 8.0.4 (or lower) on OS 10.5.
Again, I apologize if I'm not correct, this was a while ago now...
But it might be worth trying an older version of PT.
I hope it helps
Old 02-27-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregV View Post
Sorry if my facts aren't correct, but I THINK that the 8.0.5 update was for Snow Leopard (10.6) compatibility. I seem to remember reading (somewhere on this forum) that there were MIDI problems with 8.0.5 on any OS but Leopard.
I THINK the recommendation was to stick with 8.0.4 (or lower) on OS 10.5.
Again, I apologize if I'm not correct, this was a while ago now...
But it might be worth trying an older version of PT.
I hope it helps
Thanks for the reply. the 0.5 update also serves Leopard (5.8 only). I had this problem before I updated. Thanks for trying to help.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:38 PM

Under Setup > Midi > Input Devices

Are your devices there and are they ticked?

If you want to determine whether the 003's midi is getting in to OSX download Snoize Midi Monitor!