Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2011, 09:55 AM

Default Boom!

Am I missing something here? I have had PT8 LE for a little while now and have been able to lay some tracks down.. But I am at the point where I want more professional feel to what I am doing. More specifically my beats.. I make primarily hip hop and Trance beats.. So loops and Drum Sequences are the core of what I am trying to do.. Anyway.. My question is why did Avid off BOOM! as a VI if you cant record what you are sequencing.. Currently I am penciling in every single boom bap.. But the process is time consuming and getting everything to fit all the way through can be a pain in the.... Plus its hard to create the proper swing and feel with pencil and Event Operations options. How do you record BOOM! Surely they didn't give you a drum machine you cant even record...did they???!!!?! I am about to go buy a drum machine.. but I don't want to buy one if I can make this one record, and before I know what it can do. Any help on this would be appriciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:11 AM

Default Re: Boom!

Why are you pencil editing in a MIDI track? Yes, you can do that, but Boom was made to compose loops right in the Boom UI. There's a graphical representation of the loop pattern and all you have to do is click on elements when and where you want them.

Read the manual on Boom. It's in the Creative Collection Plugins guide.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 04-12-2011, 10:46 AM

Open up the midi editor go to the piano roll, each sequence of boom is trigger by a note on the piano roll, I am not sure about this but i think it starts with C3, If you click on the c3 note using the pencil tool you will hear the beat thats assign to that note, once you find the beat you are looking for, in the midi editor window using the pencil tool click on the same lane as the C3 and write in the beat for as many bars that you need the beat to be, EX. 1 bar of C3, then on bar 2 D3 and boom will play the beat thats assign to those notes, then if you want to print to an audio track for processing, insert an Aux send using any available bus on the boom track, then create an Audio track assign the input to the same bus you create on the boom track, solo the instrument in boom you wnat to record for example the kick, record arm your audio track and press play, then just switch to another instrument in boom say snare and solo it and so on and so on, hope this helps
Old 04-12-2011, 11:02 AM

Ok.. Thanks for the replies.. Honestly I am trying to decipher what I am supposed to be doing.. I know its simple I'm just slow.. I tried making a new Ins Track and a Audio Track and switching them to the same bus in Mstr mix window.. (bus7-8) arming the audio and letting er rip.. it shows recording but no play back.. I then tried making a new Aux track/Ins Track/Audio Track linking to the same bus.. nothing.. I'm still screwing this up somehow..I will have to go through the manual dude was talking about I guess and try to figure it out.. Although its probably simpler than what I am making it out to be.. Still frustrating
Old 04-12-2011, 11:31 AM

OK.. I went to the guide.. And did what it instructed me to do.. I understand that you cannot record BOOM! itself because there is no data.. However when I record.. I get MIDI data recorded by playing the note on my keyboard and holding, the audio track is rolling.. Even the eq bars are jumping so I know something is happening..So I think I am half way there.. I just cannot get the sound to play back on the Ins Track or Audio Track.. I can't hear wt4 is going on.. I am still doing something wrong.. and not sure what..
Old 04-12-2011, 12:11 PM

Hi, i'm not sure what you are doing. I record Boom for very remix, i do so my plugin RTAS CPU use is minimum.

I first get my beat in Boom using the Boom interface. Once i have it. I use a SEND (usually prefader so i can turn down the midi track volume) from the Boom midi track to an audio track. ( i dont bus (main out) the midi track to an audio track.

I arm the audio track and i go back to Boom and mute all but the individual drum part i want. I do this for each part so in the end, i have an audio track for each drum part in boom, Kick, snare, Hat, clap etc. I just store the midi track in case i need it for future reference.

I do dance remixes. I dont know why you cant record Boom.

I also use idrum alot since its just like boom but i can use my own drum samples as well. I do the same thing for idrum recording each drum to an audio track.

That way i can glitch my drums as well as other audio tracks. I dont keep anything midi once i have the track worked out. I record it all to audio. every VI i have.

Chris

http://soundcloud.com/regenerationmix

http://twitter.com/regenerationmix

MacBook Pro, 2.4GHZ, 16GB, Intel Core i7, Mac OS 10.9.1 128 SSD internal HD, 750 GB Internal HD, Pro Tools 10.3.8, Digidesign 003r, Waves 8.0, Final Cut Pro 7
Old 04-12-2011, 07:27 PM

@ RegenerationMix:

Yeah thanks for the reply bro.. I am just reading and rereading and rereading what ppl have replied in this thread until I get it.. Only choice I have really until I either get it or get frustrated enough and have to leave the whole thing alone for awhile.. I'm a dj that used to spin alot back in the day, (used to spin vinyl... do ppl still do that anymore?! lol..) But technology has gone so far since then.. now I'm playing catch up with sophisticated programs and methods.. Hence my issues.. Thx for the help tho.. still trying.. I have gotten the BOOM! MIDI data to record in both the Ins Track and the Audio Tracks seperately, but still upon playback no sound at all in either situation.. My computer might be taking a nice trip through the window soon, no frequent flyer miles where my HP's goin..
Old 04-13-2011, 01:09 AM

There are plenty of videos on Avid and Youtube.............

Healing the world through music.................

Sony Vaio Laptop|2 Core P8700 2.53 Ghz 8 Gb Ram|Win8 x64
PT 9.0.6|Cubase 7|Samplitude Pro X|Reason 5|Spectrasonics|Komplete
RME BabyFace|AxiomPro49|Akai LPD8