Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2018, 05:01 AM

Default What would you do? Want to update PT / have a mac with an OS not yet compatible.

So this is the situation:

-My current system is a 2011 iMac i5 / Pro Tools 9 / RME UCX interface / Plugins: Toontrack, Waves, Slate, FabFilter. This combo has worked fine for the last 6 years.

-A couple of months ago, I finally decided I would upgrade to PT12 or 2018.

-I bought a new iMac and it came with High Sierra 10.13.6. There hasn't been an update of PT after MacOS 10.13.3 that would be officially compatible with later operating systems as specified here: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/c...m-Requirements (Some people have reported they haven't experienced any problems, but I'd like to be sure).

-I'm planning on paying for the Upgrade Plan (Reinstatement) that should be good for a year of upgrades/updates.

-I will also need to upgrade my Waves bundle, Superior Drummer 2 --> Superior Drummer 3, possibly Reason etc. I would like to do this after I have a working combination of DAW vs. OS.

Now, what would you do in this situation?

Should I just go ahead and update the MacOS to Mojave, on the logic that Avid will be concentrating on an update that will work with Mojave rather than High Sierra, since High Sierra is now an old OS?

Should I put off buying the "reinstatement" as long as Avid has officially released a working update? Why or What not?

Should I maybe just buy the reinstatement and install PT on the High Sierra and see how it works? (I'm really not a "let's see what happens" guy, especially if this might mean multiple uninstalls/re-installs and so on).

Any experience with RME drivers/firmware and Mojave?

Anything else that comes to mind? What to watch out for etc?

I can work with my PT9/iMac 2011 setup till I get this new one running, but I wouldn't want to wait too long.

I know that's a lot of questions, but any insight is appreciated and might point me in an obvious direction that I hadn't thought of myself yet.

-----------------
I'm posting this relating to another thread I started a while back. I'm making a new thread since my question is different. Hope this is ok.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=400761

At first I was asking about the frequency at which Avid comes up with compatibility updates and I guess it was established that there really isn't any way to tell. This time I'm asking for opinions and/or advice on what people would recommend for me to do or what they would do in my situation.

Last edited by MKZ; 10-01-2018 at 05:41 AM.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:24 PM

Default Re: What would you do? Want to update PT / have a mac with an OS not yet compatible.

At first consideration, I would probably set the iMac up for dual boot with the last version of OSX that is approved for Pro Tools(High Siearra?). Either check youtube for some tutorials on this, or hit your local Apple Store's genius desk for some expert assistance(I'm sure that won't be free, but it will probably be worth every cent)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-02-2018, 05:01 AM

Default Re: What would you do? Want to update PT / have a mac with an OS not yet compatible.

Suggestion: if going to a Genius Bar at an Apple Store I'd suggest making an appointment. Been in a couple of local stores and walked in cold asking for help and got looked at like I had three heads or something. And that's after I even got noticed; neither place was busy. Then again this was in NJ

QAPLA!
Old 10-07-2018, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
At first consideration, I would probably set the iMac up for dual boot with the last version of OSX that is approved for Pro Tools(High Siearra?). Either check youtube for some tutorials on this, or hit your local Apple Store's genius desk for some expert assistance(I'm sure that won't be free, but it will probably be worth every cent)
That's the problem. I can't go backwards to the last OS approved.
Old 10-07-2018, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKZ View Post
That's the problem. I can't go backwards to the last OS approved.
What do you mean you can't go back to the last OSX approved? Unless you got an iMac Pro you should be able to go back to at least OSX 10.13.0

QAPLA!
Old 10-09-2018, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
What do you mean you can't go back to the last OSX approved? Unless you got an iMac Pro you should be able to go back to at least OSX 10.13.0
I thought you couldn't downgrade.

And it just dawned on me that a "downgrade" and a "clean install" of an earlier version are two different things, and a clean install of an earlier version is possible. Is this right?

I also thought I read that Apple doesn't provide the files etc for the installation of earlier versions... Did I also misunderstand this?

Since I'm really not a "computer guy" I'm a bit hesitant to download the install files from any other source than an official source. My fear is that if something goes wrong, Apple will not help, since "I shouldn't have uninstalled the OS the Mac came with and installed an earlier from an "unknown" provider."

Like I said, I'm really not a computer guy, so If you see anything wrong with what's written above, please let me know.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKZ View Post
I thought you couldn't downgrade.

And it just dawned on me that a "downgrade" and a "clean install" of an earlier version are two different things, and a clean install of an earlier version is possible. Is this right?

I also thought I read that Apple doesn't provide the files etc for the installation of earlier versions... Did I also misunderstand this?

Since I'm really not a "computer guy" I'm a bit hesitant to download the install files from any other source than an official source. My fear is that if something goes wrong, Apple will not help, since "I shouldn't have uninstalled the OS the Mac came with and installed an earlier from an "unknown" provider."

Like I said, I'm really not a computer guy, so If you see anything wrong with what's written above, please let me know.
Given what I wrote in my previous post you can 'clean install' any OSX version that came when your particular Mac model was released. Note that 'clean install' is just that - wiping the existing OSX installation and starting with a clean drive.

The problem becomes getting a full installer of the version you want. There you have a couple of options. One is to search out a user here who goes by the screen name TNM as he went through trying to find a full installer of High Sierra. Another is to purchase a thumb/flash drive with the installer on it from Amazon - yes Amazon. Here's a link to one that has both full installers for Sierra and High Sierra: https://www.amazon.com/Macintosh-OS-...SX+high+sierra
I wouldn't sweat getting noise from Apple if something goes wrong; Applecare should fix you up no problem.

Once you get a base version of High Sierra installed do a Google search for the combo installer/updater for the HS version you want.

QAPLA!