Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2010, 07:38 PM

Default Can't Hear MIDI - Either When Recording or Playback

Having a problem playing an external intrument (Yamaha Motif Rack ES) and hearing the MIDI when I'm recording or on playback (Digi 003 v 8.0.1). The notes are recording and the meter moving when I am hitting notes, but I can't hear anything. I am running my Oxygen controller into the Motif, and out of the Motif, I am using a MIDI cable from the Out of the Motif to the IN in the back of the 003. I have it running to a MIDI track, and the input is set to ALL. Like I said it looks like the notes are getting there (they are on the track), so I'm thinking it's something with my MIDI setup - the output. I have MIDI thru checked in the PT menu. Any suggestions??

thanks a bunch
Old 07-01-2010, 07:43 PM

Default Re: Can't Hear MIDI - Either When Recording or Playback

MIDI is not Audio. You can not hear MIDI. You need to connect the audio outputs of the Motif to inputs on your PT interface and create an Aux input track to monitor the sound.

MIDI thru enabled in ProTools..
Old 07-01-2010, 07:56 PM

hmmm... I can run the audio out of the motif in to the 003 and hear it on an audio track. But I can't figure out how to bounce the MIDI recording to an audio track (like I do with virtual instruments recorded on an instrument track), or even bus the MIDI to an Aux track to hear what was recorded (or during recording). My outputs on my MIDI track are only Digi 003 Port 1 (channel 1-16), Digi 003 Port 2, Digi 003 Port 3 and Oxygen. I was expecting to see normal Out and Bus channels.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:51 PM

To have the midi track play back what you just recorded, and hear it, you need a midi cable OUT from the 003 to the midi IN of the Motif.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:03 PM

Thank you - I hooked it up that way and I think they are signaling each other because I was able to get sound out of the Audio Out of the Motif on playback. But I can still not get the MIDI data to play through an Aux or bounce to a Stereo Audio track. I did the Midi Studio Setup - so the device I created in the MIDI output track, I select "Channel 1". Then on the Audio or Aux Track Input, I have tried Mic/Line 1-2, Analog, spdif, ADAT, etc.. all of them. Still can't get them to route correctly so I can hear.
Sorry for the idiocy, I have been reading/viewing tutorials/experimenting for hours, so I really appreciate the assistance.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansanity View Post
But I can still not get the MIDI data to play through an Aux or bounce to a Stereo Audio track.
You are either using the terminology badly or you still do not understand:

MIDI is not AUDIO. It cannot be played through an aux or bounced to an audio track. It cannot be bussed. All you can do with a MIDI track is route the MIDI output to something (motif) that can actually create sound/audio.

You have to connect from the audio outs on the motif to the audio ins on your protools interface, then make an aux (if you want to monitor) or an audio track (if you want to record) with the input selector set to the same physical inputs you have your motif plugged into....
Old 07-01-2010, 10:34 PM

thanks
Old 07-02-2010, 08:16 AM

Thumbs up Re: Can't Hear MIDI - Either When Recording or Playback

MIDI is data that tells a machine what notes to play. but the only way to HEAR what you've done is to run it through some sound producing source. think of it as sheet music. you can't hear sheet music until someone decides to play it.

what's cool about it is that you can record MIDI into PT, but try out all sorts of sounds/modules, etc. to see what works best. when you find something you like, THEN record it into an audio track. but if you're always planning to record audio right away, then it seems like a waste to record the MIDI tracks in the first place.

you can also send your files to other people that may have synths/vsts you don't have and your notes can play through those other synths.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:43 PM

Thanks a bunch guys - really appreciate the guidance. My only problem now is getting the level high enough when I bounce to a stereo track. If I send my audio outs into my pre, i can add enough gain to get them high enough. but I was hoping to not go through another source and connect straight to my Mytek 8x96 ADC through ADAT (which connects to digi through lightpipe). But when I do that the level is just low. Happens with all the external sound modules, the volume is jacked, so I guess the issue lies with the Mytek. I can't figure out any way to increase the input of those inputs. And their documentation/manuals are garbage. But anyway. I appreciate greatly the help.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:00 PM

Dear friends: I have problems with midi, when I play back midi from pro tools m powered to motif es it does not sound. I am using windows 7.