Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2010, 06:22 PM

Default PT is Spreading Saving Files to Different Drives

Hello.

I have 8.0.3
iMac 24" with both fw 400/800 ports.

i have 3 drives daisychaned:

1 glyph 050 gt
2 rocstor drives

all have oxford chipsets. 924, I think.

the glyph is first. then i have a backup drive (linked to "time machine") and the 3rd drive is for my VSTs.

i always save to the glyph, but it turns out some of my audio files were going to other drives. the symptoms would indicate upon opening various sessions:

dae errors (9060 and 9035 to name a couple) as well as a pop-up telling me that files were missing.

at first I thought files were corrupted and trashed all my prefs. no one seemed to know the problem.

anyway, my question is:

is there a way to store my data or chain my drives so that PT saves the audio files only to the place I tell it? thanks.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:52 PM

Default Re: PT is Spreading Saving Files to Different Drives

You need to read up on disk allocation. Sounds like you may have Round Robin selected. Turn that off and make sure you create/save all your new sessions on your desired audio/recording drive. Then, to be safe, I would open each important session and choose File>Save Session Copy and check the box for "copy all audio files). That will put a complete copy of each session in a single file location, with all the audio files. Its time consuming, but it will be worth it. I would then drag each old session to another drive and disconnect it. Then run each session copy to make sure it works good(then you can feel free to archive or delete the originals).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-24-2010, 08:29 PM

Thumbs up Re: PT is Spreading Saving Files to Different Drives

+1!
When I was running an earlier version of PTLE on an eMac 1GHz, I discovered one day that Round Robin had spontaneously/system glitch(edly?) been substituted for the default disk allocation setting, spreading all of the tracks that I had recorded over a period of hours onto different ext. drives. When I disabled RR, quit PT, then put the files back into the correct audio file folders for the correponding sessions, all was well - or as well as could be running on a Mac that slow and underpowered (1gig of TAM max.)
Old 06-24-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
You need to read up on disk allocation. Sounds like you may have Round Robin selected. Turn that off and make sure you create/save all your new sessions on your desired audio/recording drive. Then, to be safe, I would open each important session and choose File>Save Session Copy and check the box for "copy all audio files). That will put a complete copy of each session in a single file location, with all the audio files. Its time consuming, but it will be worth it. I would then drag each old session to another drive and disconnect it. Then run each session copy to make sure it works good(then you can feel free to archive or delete the originals).
great post! the glyph support guy (they're very helpful, btw) suggested the round robin thing. i thought he was just using slang. you're saying that's an actual PT option?

i've never seen that. is it pretty easy to find?
Old 06-24-2010, 09:57 PM

also u can avoid that by putting your desired record drive to R (record) mode

and the others to T (tranfer only) mode
Old 06-25-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barlevy View Post
also u can avoid that by putting your desired record drive to R (record) mode

and the others to T (tranfer only) mode
That should work as well. Just remember to run the "save session copy' routine so you can get your audio files tucked in where they belong on the older stuff. Round Robin should be easy to find, but I can't remember where is I don't use it. That's why I suggested a trip thru the manual and index.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-25-2010, 04:44 PM

In the Set Up drop down, you'll find Disk Allocation. Click on that and you'll see at the bottom of the window a check box and "Use Round Robin for new tracks." Make sure it is un-checked. Also in that same window is the list of tracks for that session and their location path. Option-click on the double arrow to the right for any track and you can then assign all of those tracks to (that have been moved) the session audio file folder where they belong at once. You may still have to inspect any lone Audio File folder on all your drives to see if there are any tracks in them that don't belong. Then you can drag and drop them in the session(s) that they shouyld be in. Also, ditto what barlevy said re: R or T designstion. Hope that helps,
Reg