Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2020, 09:41 AM

Default Low input Signal

My equipment worked just fine during my last project, but suddenly the input is very low. I have tried recording piano with an aux cable and vocals with a condenser mic and an xlr cable, but both of them get very low input. The vocals can barely be heard before I put the gain on max on the Mbox mini.

I have tried to use the xlr cable and the mic with another mixer and it works fine, so I guess there must be a problem with the Mbox or ProTools First. Any ideas what can help?
Old 11-08-2020, 11:21 AM

Default Re: Low input

Is the phantom power turned on? Condenser mics require this and some interfaces will power up with phantom power turned off as a safety feature.

Saying you tried to record your piano with an aux cable makes no sense to me. Exactly what kind of piano? What outputs does the piano have? What is an "aux" cable?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-08-2020, 12:14 PM

Oh boy giving clear info would help you here...

What exact model/generation mBox. If unsure link to a photo on the Web.

How are you determining the input is very low?

If you are looking at track meters and they are too low make sure you are in pre-fader metering mode. Sounds like you are listening to the output... but what are the track meter levels showing in dBFS when it seems too low?

If what you are hearing *while* tracking is too low but OK when you playback? If so then you are likely hardware monitoring through the interface, and need to turn up the monitor mix knob or adjust the monitor mix in the interface control software. Or maybe you don't mean to be using hardware monitoring and have accidentally checked "low latency monitoring" in Pro Tools.

Make sure the interface gain is turned up and the input pad is not engaged on the interface.

An acoustic piano or an electronic one? What exact make/model piano? If electronic what exact socket are you plugged into on the piano? If the piano is accoustic what exact make/model mic is connected to the cable and any cable/plug adapters used.

An aux cable? You mean an instrument cable aka cable with a 1/4" TR plug on both ends? or a cable with 1/4" TRS plug on one end?? going into the interface? what is on the other end? Use the proper names or if you are not sure find the cable online and give a link to it.

Describe exactly what socket/connector you are plugged into with what exact type of connector at each end of the cable. Be clear if using front panel or back panel connections on the interface.

One way to not get phantom power to the condenser mic is to short the phantom power on the other mic input. So unplug whatever cable is plugged into the other input and just see if you can get condenser mic working by itself on the mBox. And again make sure the gain knob on the mBox is turned up and the input pad is not engaged, if it still does not work check there is phantom power at the mic end of the cable with a multimeter.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-08-2020 at 12:40 PM.
Old 11-09-2020, 11:25 AM

Okay, let me try to be clearer:
I have an MBox 3 Mini.
My piano is an electronic Yamaha Clavinova plugged into the Line/DI input at the back of the MBox with an 1/4" TRS plug at both ends.
My Behringer mic is plugged into the mic/line input.
Yes, of course I turn on the phantom power when I use the condenser mic.
I never have more than one instrument connected at the same time.
I don’t see anything about «low latency monitoring» in PT First.
I’m including a picture that shows you what I mean by low input. As you can see, the piano tracks have very low input in this project. Here the vocals looks like they have normal input, but that’s because I have turned the gain knob so far to the right that I also get a lot of white noise and bad quality.
PT.PNG
Old 11-09-2020, 12:08 PM

It would help if you were very specific. e.g. What *exact* model Yamaha Clavinova, and what output are plugging into on the piano? Are you trying to use the AUX output or the headphone? We can't guess what you are actually doing...

... but beginner mistakes with stereo consumer devices like these digital pianos that output a stereo signal on a TRS connector would be to try to drive that signal into a balanced XLR input on an interface... are you using a TRS stereo to TS splitter cable (aka an "insert cable")? Otherwise you are driving a L+/R+ signal into a balanced TRS input the expects a balanced mono+/mono- and will hear a difference signal between each channel, or if the piano supports mono output who know what you'll get... but it might not be what you expect.. look in the manual. You likely should be spitting the TRS cable into two TR outputs using an "insert cable". Maybe using a DI box if there are grounding/hum issues. I would hope Yamaha provide information about connecting to balanced inputs.

The level of an audio signal on a waveform is hard to guess what that means. I deliberately asked for details like about dbFS signal levels on the input track... with the meter in pre-fader mode. There may be no harm (and some benefit) in tracking the mic at what some might consider quite low input (e.g. ~ -20dbFS).

I am guessing the Mic issue is seperate from the piano one, so try to answer every question for the mic. We cannot guess anything about what you are doing or your level of experience. e.g. are you sure the pad is not enabled (gain knobs are not pulled out)? And measure the phantom power voltage at the end of the cable if you can. What *exact* model mic is it?

Options>Low Latency Monitoring. You could google for that if you could not find it. Is it checked or not? Are you trying to use hardware monitoring from the interface or only through Pro Tools. You should be very clear on that.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-09-2020 at 12:37 PM.
Old 11-10-2020, 11:54 AM

Default Re: Low input Signal

I have a Yamaha CLP-320. I have two headphone outputs which I plug into with a double 1/4" TRS plug at both ends.
The mic is a Behringer C-3.
The dbFS signal levels are around -30 for the piano and -35 for the vocals if I leave the gain knobs at 12 o’clock.
The gain knobs are not pulled out.
I can’t measure the phantom power, but the mic works at a mixing table, so I guess it should be alright.
«Low Latency Monitoring» does not appear under «options» to me. I read the help manual and it is not very likely that I have done all that by accident.
I’ve been recording with the same equipment for many years without having these problems. If these are two problems that suddenly appeared at the same time, I care most about solving the problem with the mic. That is the one that I can’t fix the volume of in the mix.