Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 04-05-2016, 05:58 AM

Default Waves Abbey Road Plates question

I know there's a thread here from when AR Plates was released that talked about the cpu issues and that it was a bit of a hog on resources. I wonder if that has been fixed or what? I ask because Audio Deluxe still has the plugin at $99 (when not logged in) from when it was introduced and I'd like to not miss this IF the cpu usage has been taken care of. I love the sound of it though.

What I have to wonder about is the somewhat longish video Waves has of the plugin has multiple instances of it (I counted at least 8 if not more) and it seemed to run just fine. No idea what buffer size they're running and what specific PT version they're using and of course what are the specs on said machine. If I get to 6 instances on the system in my profile PT11 with a 30 track session says no mas and locks up solid. Heck even a single instance bounces between 25 to 40% usage.

QAPLA!
Old 04-05-2016, 07:28 AM

Default Re: Waves Abbey Road Plates question

I know this may not help much, but they were probably making the video with the plugin running in their DSP system

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 04-05-2016, 07:31 AM

well, on mar 23 they improved the cpu and memory hit for ARP on their sound grid servers,
so that means they are working on it.

plus in the previous update
there was an update to h reverb,
for efficiency on macs,
and since they might share FIR engine technology,
that bodes well for an update coming.

iirc, jack, you and i have the same computer,
and mine hits at about 31% (spike) for an instance,
so i get a sound i like, then freeze it…
e
Old 04-05-2016, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
I know this may not help much, but they were probably making the video with the plugin running in their DSP system
Actually that would explain a lot; the person doing the video didn't mention if they were running SoundGrid or native.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elicious View Post
well, on mar 23 they improved the cpu and memory hit for ARP on their sound grid servers,
so that means they are working on it.

plus in the previous update
there was an update to h reverb,
for efficiency on macs,
and since they might share FIR engine technology,
that bodes well for an update coming.

iirc, jack, you and i have the same computer,
and mine hits at about 31% (spike) for an instance,
so i get a sound i like, then freeze it…
e
No changes to my system here so we're equivalent there.

From what you say it looks good that Waves is on top of this. I would think that like you say they're also working on the native version. Like I said I love the sound; I'm a sucker for a good plate on drums and now with ARP piano as well.

QAPLA!
Old 04-06-2016, 08:39 PM

AR Plates is amazing. Best sounding reverb plug I've heard since H-Reverb.... and quite a long time before that, that any verbs really stood out to me... waves has definitely been killing it with some of these new plugs.

I'm betting new algorithms... new modeling tech.... etc.....

Of course some of this will require more CPU than we are used to, but I think the trade off is well worth it for the quality. Considering that, in just a couple/few years time, these will not be considered 'intensive' anymore... so, I prefer that they continue to be leading edge / innovative / forward thinking.

And of course, they will continue working on efficiency, as evidenced by the improvements in CPU usage with H-Reverb, and the SoundGrid hit on SG Servers.

Interestingly.... I haven't seen any overly ridiculous hits with ARP on our 4,1's and 5,1's. Higher usage than some other plugs, but, for example, not as bad as AltiVerb

Mac Pro 5,1 3.33 GHz Hex, 32GB
EFI Flashed - 5 GT/s Modded 7950, Dual Apple 23"
OSX Sierra
Pro Tools HD 11.2.2
Waves IOS, IOX, STG2412
Extreme Server (x2)
Logic Pro X, DSP Quattro, Final Cut Pro X
Waves Mercury+SSL+AbbeyRoads
Trident S65 with embedded US-2400

Live:
2012 Mac Mini, Dual SSD, i7 2.4, 16GB
Win 10, OSX Sierra
LV1, MRSG
Hardware from above (same gear)
Dual Dell P2418HT Touch Screens
Waves Icon X (x2), M, with Screens
Custom enclosure
Old 04-07-2016, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table Syrup Records View Post
AR Plates is amazing. Best sounding reverb plug I've heard since H-Reverb.... and quite a long time before that, that any verbs really stood out to me... waves has definitely been killing it with some of these new plugs.

Of course some of this will require more CPU than we are used to, but I think the trade off is well worth it for the quality. Considering that, in just a couple/few years time, these will not be considered 'intensive' anymore... so, I prefer that they continue to be leading edge / innovative / forward thinking.

And of course, they will continue working on efficiency, as evidenced by the improvements in CPU usage with H-Reverb, and the SoundGrid hit on SG Servers.

Interestingly.... I haven't seen any overly ridiculous hits with ARP on our 4,1's and 5,1's. Higher usage than some other plugs, but, for example, not as bad as AltiVerb
Table is right. I wouldn't be expecting any miracles in terms of a huge drop in CPU consumption. They have designed what seems to be a new. more intensive algorithm, but man, the quality of it alone makes this plugin worth it.

It's one of a kind, you'd be very hard pressed to try and find something close or even to emulate it yourself, nit that you would have to of course.

I think what we are seeing with plugins like this and H-Reverb is the next stage in plugin evolution. It wont be long before others are upping the ante this way too. I bet there is already a few new CPU intensive products at Musikmesse.

Sign of the times.

Last edited by simon.a.billington; 04-07-2016 at 11:30 PM.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table Syrup Records View Post

As I may have mentioned before I'm a huge fan of plate reverbs on drums and piano and that's why I'm interested in ARP. Had the demo and loved the sound but was not nuts about the cpu usage. But after hearing what's been mentioned here about Waves working on the plugin for at least the SG version I decided to buy it (I'm an idiot for not buying it earlier when the save15 code still worked at Audio Deluxe - it doesn't anymore).

Is it my favorite reverb? For certain things - yes. But not on everything (yet). I have two others that remain in heavy rotation - Reverberate 2 (for ir work now with the Fusion ir's) and UltraReverb. Do I think one is the best sounding verb over others? Not really.

General question: is anybody running multiple instances of ARP and how is that working out? I don't like to 'bake-in' a reverb sound until the mix is done and I don't have PT12.

QAPLA!
Old 04-07-2016, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
As I may have mentioned before I'm a huge fan of plate reverbs on drums and piano and that's why I'm interested in ARP. Had the demo and loved the sound but was not nuts about the cpu usage. But after hearing what's been mentioned here about Waves working on the plugin for at least the SG version I decided to buy it (I'm an idiot for not buying it earlier when the save15 code still worked at Audio Deluxe - it doesn't anymore).

Is it my favorite reverb? For certain things - yes. But not on everything (yet). I have two others that remain in heavy rotation - Reverberate 2 (for ir work now with the Fusion ir's) and UltraReverb. Do I think one is the best sounding verb over others? Not really.

General question: is anybody running multiple instances of ARP and how is that working out? I don't like to 'bake-in' a reverb sound until the mix is done and I don't have PT12.
Reverberate 2 with the Fusion IR's is spectacular and way overlooked. I am still floored with it.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 04-07-2016, 01:06 PM

To my mind the most obvious possibility for significantly improving plug-ins is complexity that wasn't practical using older personal computers. A plug-in isn't necessarily "broken" because it isn't efficient.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:44 PM

I've been using the abbey road plates for weeks and never even notices a CPU hit

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave