Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2016, 07:40 PM

Default "Used" Pro Tools sold on eBay

I just can't get a clear answer from any seller on eBay. So, I understand the difference between a legit license and...

Now, as far as the used ones...that's where hopefully, someone can shed some light on this issue. Here are the details on the sale:

1) You need a new blank iLok
2) You will be given the login information to that iLok account which contains the license.

Ok, so is this license completely mine now? Can I buy an update plan for it or maintain one?

Here's another thing. One seller is offering to deposit a license to my current iLok account. How is that even possible? Is there some kind of bulk licensing available where someone can just sell off the client licenses kind of like Developer Licenses for Windows 7? In this case, the original PT owner has control of all the licenses.

I'm not sure what is going on here but maybe someone with experience or inside knowledge can shed a little light on this and clarify what one can expect should they decide to buy from a seller on eBay.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:00 PM

Default "Used" Pro Tools sold on eBay

If they're depositing it in YOUR iLok account then it's a brand new asset.

If they're telling you you'll get log in info for an iLok account it's something else. Basically a grey market transfer.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:39 AM

Default Re: "Used" Pro Tools sold on eBay

Thanks for the quick reply Matt. I can't expect you to answer this question but perhaps you may have better insight than I have based on experience. So, IF they are able to deposit a license, does that (or can that) imply that the person selling is a distributor for Avid? If so, I'm most likely going to go for it.

Also, is there some kind of bulk licensing that I don't know about where there is one master account that can purchase many licenses at a discount? Because if that is the case, then I'm passing on it.

I'm giving Avid a call tomorrow. At the price I was offered for the license deposit, I would regret not taking advantage of it.

Does anyone else have any experience or knowledge of these sales? Like I mentioned, I know the differences between the listings to follow and those to pass on, as it's pretty clear. What I find astonishing is that these sellers make no effort to hide their dishonesty.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:59 AM

Avid resellers usually do NOT use ebay to sell licenses.

Goto www.avid.com and find approved Avid resellers and get a license.

Remember if you run into problems and haven't purchased via Avid resellers you are on your own. Avid won't give support from 3rd party sales.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 08-31-2016, 03:25 PM

UPDATE 9/2016 - Avid has changed its rule about license transfers for Pro Tools. They admit that their website is incorrect and will eventually be updated but they are, once again, going to allow transfer a Pro Tools license for a $40 fee along with the mandatory "Transfer of Ownership" documentation which they can send you via email.

So, I called Avid and spoke to the Supervisor regarding eBay sales. He said most of the eBay "used" licenses that aren't Transferred to you through Avid, have issues and that they are seeing more of these "desposited" license sales and they don't know how that is happening since only Avid can deposit licenses into your iLok account...no one else. So, either the seller worked for Avid in the past or is currently working for Avid now, in which case, that would be the only possible way to have access to licensing...but he said that he is unaware of anyone working at Avid that sells for Avid on eBay. So, essentially, this can be considered a scam even though nothing may surface right away...down the road you can lose the license....so, buyer beware.

The ONLY way to buy a USED license, according to Avid...IS by TOO ONLY! (Transfer Of Ownership)...and that in itself has a paper trail and takes humans working at Avid to actually physically do the transfer.

So, if you're thinking about buying that used license...it's considered unsafe because the license you're getting is NEVER actually yours....it belongs to someone else on paper.

If there is anything inaccurate, please let me know.

Last edited by AVIDIVA; 09-14-2016 at 04:03 AM.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:59 PM

UPDATE - AVID NOW ALLOWS LICENSE TRANSFERS 9/2016 - so disregard this post. The previous post explains how to do it and addresses the original discussion.

For the record, I've been a long-time Avd supporter but lately, I've been determined to investigate the legitimacy of the sale of used PT licenses and exploit the work-arounds for circumventing Pro Tools new no-transfer policy, based on the responses I've received from sellers. I eventually bought a new retail license, in case anyone is wondering what I finally decided on.

So, I have updated my previous post according to the researched information I received from Avid directly and reading their TOS policy, as well as the online support information from their knowledge database. With that said, nowhere does it say that you can't sell your iLok account and iLok device on the iLok TOS. I also cannot find anywhere on Avid's TOS stating that you CAN'T sell your master account. They only state the license cannot be transferred. Ok, you're not transferring the license...you're selling the account. That is therefore, by inference, allowed. Avid, please advise on this.

If the aforementioned is true, then to actually transfer the iLok device, with whatever licenses are on it, from one account to another, apparently, you would have to pay $100 to iLok and with consent from both parties, iLok will remove the iLok from the seller's account so it can be activated to the buyer's account even with licenses still on it...in this case, that license would be PT. Since you can change the default iLok user ID in the Avid Master account, there shouldn't be a problem right? Unless you don't care about inheriting a new iLok device and account, logging into that account, and changing the personal details on the account, you have to pay iLok their share, so it seems. Just so you know, I've seen that kind of "friendly account sale" done dozens of times...literally, at least a couple dozen with no complications AFAIK, where the two parties just agree on a price for the iLok device, account, and the license(s) on the iLok device as well, then the new owner just changes the email, billing, and other personal information in the iLok account.

So, I guess if you really must have the iLok device on another account, you know..for having a legitimized paper trail, then you have to pay that exorbitant iLok fee. Maybe for some, this fee amount may seem trivial if you're dealing with $15K list of licenses on the iLok. Anyway, for a PT license, this seems to be the only way these sellers are attempting to circumvent AVID's non-transferable license policy. If that is the case, I don't really see any illegitimacy but it does beg the question..."what does Avid say?" Well, it seems iLok thinks it's ok. In fact, the iLok Support Team supports this idea by stating:

"In order for us to release an iLok from one user account we will need to perform a 'transfer of ownership' which will allow an iLok to be removed from a user account. This will then allow the release of the iLok to be registered in another user account. As there is much work involved in doing this on our end, the price to release an iLok is $US 100.00."

Here's a link to this statement located about halfway down the page:
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=160068

So there you go, now you CAN transfer the license to the new person just by relinquishing the iLok device with the activated license on it to someone else's account through iLok, then change the iLok user ID in the Avid Master account. While that does "play by the rules", let's not dismiss the detail of the logged personal information you can't see in the AVID Master Account...there's the rub. Correct me if I'm wrong, but unless AVID states that you can't change an accounts personal information, regardless of what name is on the account at the time of the initial sign-up, you should, technically, be able to REQUEST (by filling out a request form) the personal information on your Master Account (as they call it) to be changed. Now, they do make changing your email address apparent but like I said, technically, you should be able to change the name on the Master Account unless they state that somewhere in their TOS - which I don't recall being clearly stated or inferred anywhere. I would expect Avid to be less known for succinct clarity and proclivity to discern.

Avid, is there a counter for the sale of the Avid Master Account, not the license, which prohibits personal detail changes/updates to the Master account details upon request? If not, please explicitly show me where exactly that is stated or inferred.

Last edited by AVIDIVA; 09-14-2016 at 04:05 AM.