Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2003, 04:36 PM

Default I need some business

I'm an assistant engineer at a local studio, like everyone else it's kind of slow there. So I went and completed my home studio setup, and trying to get some business that way. Any suggestions on how to promote any get some business from any running a home studio.
Old 05-22-2003, 04:47 PM

Default Re: I need some business

one way to make $$

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

1.25 Alu/1.5 ram/10.3.4
PTLE 6.4-002R-Live-Reason
Old 05-22-2003, 06:36 PM

All I can tell you from experience is to tell everyone and their next door neighbor that you have a recording studio. I originally set my project studio up for my own use. When I told my fellow musicians what I was doing, one after another they said, "Really? Oh man, I've got this thing I need to record!" And it just snowballed from there. Then they told two friends and so on...

Your best bet then (and cheapest) is word of mouth. I've probably gained 85% of my business that way.

Good luck!

T. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 05-23-2003, 06:02 AM

DJ, FWIW here are some things that have worked well for us.

Don't limit yourself to JUST doing "Band" recordings. There is a pretty fair amount of busines in audio restorations and other low visibility audio work.

It's not glamorous, but it pays well and is pretty steady. ALSO there is very little competition.

Some examples are restoration of reel to reel "audio letters" from the 60s & 70s.

Editing songs to meet competition length limits for dance studio students.

Restoring old personal family or garage band cassette tapes.

Our project studio bills an extra 10 to 15 hours per week on such projects.

To get the word out we simply contacted area Radio Shack Stores, who get asked regularly for such services, but rarely know where to send people.

We STAY in contact with them, since there is a high employee turnover in such stores and supply them with business cards and a home grown trifold brocure explaining our services.

Restoration work can easily fill in the gaps between musical sessions. It's off hours work typically.

And with PTLE and some basic plugs, you can clean up and add real sparkle to pretty poor sounding material. The customers are happy and you get paid cash in most cases.

A couple RS Franchise Stores even allow us to pickup and deliver work to their stores. We of course pay them a small commission.

If you're interested in details E me at [email protected] sometime and I'll be more specific on services and what you can expect to make from them.
Old 05-23-2003, 03:12 PM

I secong terry's suggestion, I own a project studio here in Tampa, FL and 2 months ago I was asking the same question. talked to a few people, now I am getting calls from my pasts clients friends and relatives. Word of mouth works.

Thanks for the tip Patch. I might try that. I guess Radio Shack can be our friend! [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 05-25-2003, 10:54 AM

thanks to all for the advice. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-25-2003, 09:14 PM

Word-up. Buy Ray Gun, put a couple of ads in jam-band magazines, and you're makin money.
Peace
Esteban.