Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2017, 02:47 PM

Default Anyone here using PT 12 for orchestral work (big template)

I'm still on PT 11 and want to upgrade to 12 for my orchestral work. anyone using it with 600 + tracks template and VEP slave ?
Old 01-12-2017, 05:30 PM

Default Re: Anyone here using PT 12 for orchestral work (big template)

That's a lot of tracks!
Old 01-12-2017, 05:33 PM

steve, you beat me to that one .. that is a lot of tracks .. but i have seen few Cubase Templates that are that big .. everything available and ready to go all the time ..

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 01-12-2017, 07:49 PM

I have a client who has a template in Logic with 200 or so. When he writes something, he uses maybe 12 of them. Seems crazy, but I guess the DSP isn't used until you put midi notes on the track.

We all have different styles. My mix template has maybe 15 effects and the master fader. Some of my friends have templates that have all the tracks they might need as Aux channels. Ac Guitar, vocal, bass... That's too paint by numbers for me. I just do what I feel. Sometimes I just put Channel strip or SSL Channel strip on every channel and then go from there. I don't really want everything to be the same, but that's just me, I suppose.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vudoo View Post
I'm still on PT 11 and want to upgrade to 12 for my orchestral work. anyone using it with 600 + tracks template and VEP slave ?
Just curious vudoo, if you don't mind, what are you running for a slave, mac or pc? I'm debating an i7 8 (possibly 10 core) or xeon cpu with a fair amount of ram... something that I want to be able to take care of the bulk of the libraries and dsp.. and am trying to get a sense of where the best tradeoff is.

I guess I can't answer your question, since I won't have mine set up for a few weeks myself (and new libraries are coming in).
Old 01-13-2017, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneTurner View Post
Just curious vudoo, if you don't mind, what are you running for a slave, mac or pc? I'm debating an i7 8 (possibly 10 core) or xeon cpu with a fair amount of ram... something that I want to be able to take care of the bulk of the libraries and dsp.. and am trying to get a sense of where the best tradeoff is.

I guess I can't answer your question, since I won't have mine set up for a few weeks myself (and new libraries are coming in).
My slave is on a nMP 12 cores, 64 GB ram and DAW is on a nMP 6 cores. So many people are complaining about buggy midi in 12 so i'm hesitant to upgrade. I tried 12 on an older set up and i'm getting the jerky fader bug

I'm considering dropping my 3 Avid's support plan, it seems like a waste of money if they keep releasing buggy softwares.

On a side note, many people are reporting better performance when using VEP slave with a PC / i7 as oppose to Xeon.